Devs: Lantern Colors

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Fawkes2574, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

I know we already have Greens & Yellows for the controller role, and Red for the tanks. This has been talked about for a LONG time now, we all know this. I've even brought it up a few times. But I was thinking earlier today, what about making it possible just to change the color of your power as if you're changing your style?

Because I know that it may be tough to implement Blue powers because....how would you make it work? Rather than trying to figure out all of that (because fans would like to see the Blues be healers, and work with the Greens, and strengthen them), how about just making it to where we can change the color like a style change? So those that are in Green for example, they can play & do missions in Blue if they choose. Or maybe even Indigo, Orange or other colors.

Surely something could be done. I also know that if they were to release another light power such as Blue for healers, then you'd probably would need another power for the 2 other roles just to continue the balance. What do you all think?
    • Like x 2
  2. Proxystar #Perception

I would like to see this, but it's been suggested over the years and always deemed not possible, although as the game has evolved so may have the possibility of this.
    • Like x 5
  3. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I think I have a pretty good idea on how we could get somewhat a lantern color change some love.

Ready?

Artifacts!

We could have an artifact where after a certain rank is reached, the color of the animations changes to the desired color while giving some sort of buff or ability at the same time. Similar to Solar Amplifier. What do you think?
    • Like x 2
  4. Shark Dental Devoted Player

It would be too much work for the entire powerset. Maybe they could rework some of the simpler powers though, or one or two cool ones.
  5. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I dont know how they would do it, but I have a feeling they could get creative. Im sure they wouldn't have to rework the whole powerset itself, but then again Im no game developer/coder, so I wouldn't know. I just want to see a Blue Lantern in some form or way
    • Like x 1
  6. Deus Ex Machina Committed Player

That sounds good in theory, but power specific artifacts in practice are a nightmare. It made perfect sense to do it with Heat Vision. Aside from it fitting the theme of the time capsule, it's also an Iconic Power which every powerset has access to.
  7. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Then give us a Lantern Iconic and work off that :)
  8. Deus Ex Machina Committed Player

Great idea, but the Lantern power would lose it's uniqueness as every power type would be wielding a ring of some sort. Don't get me wrong, I too would love other lantern colors in the game, but cannot think of a feasible way to make room for them given the limitations we have.
  9. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Anything is possible. The devs have gotten pretty creative lately. Youd be suprised
    • Like x 1
  10. DaBatmanX Well-Known Player

Maybe an artifact that gives u a blue lantern ring and changes the color of ur weapon fx
  11. Noble One Committed Player

this has been brought up many times and devs wont implement this due to copyright for some powers (mainly lantern) and they dont want players getting confused on powers they are seeing due to color changes. other lantern powers wont be added due to copyright.
  12. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Like Hard Light Shield? :D
    • Like x 1
  13. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Maybe one day they'll make another Resurgence capsule with 1 artifact per powerset, redoing one move for each powerset. It's likely to be a supercharge or a very popular power.

Munitions: Biggun with incredible animations or mini-nuke or railguns.
    Light: Balistic Assault or chainsaw or ram / or light blast AND whip thrash
    Fire: Fireball Barrage or meteor strike or mass detonation
    Ice: Ice Elemental or wintry tempest or avalanche or snow devil
    Mental: Mass Hysteria or horrific visage or mass terror or phantom flames
    Nature: Gorilla form, primal wolf form, harvest, carnivorous plants
    Water: Call of the Deep, drown, waterspouts, bubble
    Atomic: Atomic Blast, radiation burn, geiger blast, geiger beam, quark-gluon aura
    Celestial: Cursed Idol, consume soul and wrath of the presence, or plague and divine light
    Electricity: Megavolt, circuit breaker, electrocute, arc lightning
    Earth: Earthquake, totem (please, please change the animation... am I the only one to think it looks like something that didn't flush properly?) crystal, striking stones, debris field
    Rage: Berserk, mangle, eviscerating chain (more Lobo like), dreadful blast, lacerate
    Quantum: Oblivion, time bomb, warp barrage
    Sorcery: Arbiter of destiny, fury, circle of destruction, condemn
  14. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I can already see my Strafting Run turning Blue :D
    • Like x 1
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That's actually a pretty cool idea.
    • Like x 2
  16. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

If only the devs could see this...
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's not a matter of copyright on certain colors, it's a licensing issue. Basically DC owns the license, so they get to have a say (presumably a large one) in what can and can't go into the game. So if DC decides they don't want players to look exactly like an iconic character, whether it's through costume or power colors, they can step in.

The most recent example of this is the Superman emblem that came in with the Death of Superman content. I believe it was Megzilla that said the black border around the emblem and it being color locked had to be put in before DC allowed it for player use.
    • Like x 2
  18. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Its a good idea in theory, but unfortunately it wouldnt work because of how the Solar Amplifier actually works.

Solar Amplifier doesnt actually just change the colour of Heat Vision, at Rank 80, 120 and 160 it actually changes the Power/ replaces the power with a new version of the power. Never bothered getting mine over 80, but at 80 Heat Vision is replaced by Amplified Heat Vision, and 120/160 would do the same. In other words, the Devs actually created 3 new Heat Vision powers/ 3 new Iconic Powers.

If they were to go that route, they'd be better off just making a Blue/Orange/Indigo/Violet/White/Black/UltraViolet Corps power, as it would likely not be much more work beyond that.
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Some of those Lantern powers are just never going to happen (ie Orange, Black, White), EVER!!! So don't even

Blue was supposed to have been released around the same time as Red (can't remember where it was stated, so no need to point that out, just remember that they were mentioned as being the opposites like Green & Yellow because was going to make final two characters Red and Blue) butt for what ever reason they decided a Healing Power at that time wasn't needed (or practical or some other reason) so was scrapped and you got Rage as both a Villain and a Hero
  20. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

This is not a new idea in anyway. All things Lanterns have been discussed in every way possible (including power color change) since the moment Rage was announced as a power (yes it was talked about in years prior but far less). Basically the Lantern powers horse has been beaten down to it's atoms.

Similar to what willflynne was saying, DGC can only do things that DC Comics gives approval for. DGC's contract only gives them access to the DC properties but not free reign of use of it. When it comes to Lanterns, DC has been massively protective (it took years before SOE could convince DC to allow green auras) and by all accounts DC wants any powers to be specific to the Corp they represent. The Lantern Lore must be followed to a tee.

So in short, what you are talking about will not happen, for Lanterns or any other powers.

Oh and if they could get a Lantern healer power done and approved, there would be no need for any more for whatever balance thing you are talking about. The power trinity would be complete, Controller (HL), Tank (Rage), Healer (?).
    • Like x 1