Nope! I still don’t understand

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by EP Ice, Jul 13, 2018.

1. EP Ice Loyal Player

I’m not understanding why there is a chance of failure for artifacts breakthroughs! I literally just spent 150 Marks of Victory to get the necessary catalysts just to have a failure for a breakthrough. I know the forumites in here are going to say I should have bought a seal but I shouldn’t have to! PS players have two options to buy seals, and that’s through the MP or Loyalty Vendor. What if I don’t have the funds or loyalty points to purchase one? So, I can’t progress in my artifact until I come up with that money? Is this what Pay-To-Win means?

This game has enough grind to it for it to have something like this. I imagine why people were really upset before when you had to replay content over and over again to get the catalyst! This is just sad!

Thanks for taking the time to read my vent and, as usual, try and have fun gaming!

/rant
    • Like x 4
  2. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Pretty much, yeah. Pay to play. Pay to advance. Pay to get the best gear. Pay to go faster. Yup.
    • Like x 2
  3. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

You can buy them from other players too.
    • Like x 2
  4. Mazahs Loyal Player

Yeah it kinda sucks but the breakthru is not guaranteed.
    Let me know in WhatsApp or here what catalysts you need & I'll hook you up.
    I don't believe the seals are tradeable otherwise I'd do the same.

I have been lucky so far on my main 3 toons with no failures up to 120. I purchased the 4or5 pk (can't remember) when on sale
    Us Rebel Scum need to stick together!
    • Like x 2
  5. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You can buy seals off the broker, that's a third option. You can choose NOT to level your artifact, that's a fourth option. You could buy a Seal of Completion, that's the real pay to win feature* that gurantees a breakthrough.

*Even though you don't really win anything, because there will still be yet another grind after each milestone.
    • Like x 3
  6. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Sssshhhhh, don't destroy the narrative! Seals are evil p2w items that definitely can't be traded for!
    • Like x 3
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Which reminds me I need to stock up. I'm down to one.
    • Like x 1
  8. gemii Dedicated Player

to make more mula baby
  9. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Weeeeeeeell, to be fair someone had to buy those anyway :D I just don’t see it as a big deal, I just buy a batch or two with loyalty points when I can’t think of anything better to spend them on that month, and I’m up to my ears in the things, even with 4 characters to use them on :)
    • Like x 1
  10. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Once again this is why they sell us Seals of Protection and now even the Seal of Completion. The whole artifact system is another way Daybreak has come up with to get more money out of us and while at one point that seal of protection was the only thing we had to spend real cash on to obtain at this point just about everything required to level one up can be purchased... You can BUY catalysts. You can buy the seal of Protection so you don't lose the catalysts. you can buy the Seal of Completion so you don't lose the seal of protection. You can buy detectors that allow you to obtain more Nth metal as you do missions (for 1 hour per detector purchased).

And is there anyone out there that doesn't realize that at least part of the reason they actually allowed us to start using marks to buy catalysts was the probability that a number of players would be buying more REPLAYS to get more marks faster to buy more Catalysts from the vendor quicker? Think about it... Players like me with a number of alts could run those catalysts missions a number of times with using a single replay and then stick them in the shared bank and use them as needed. Now? Catalysts don't drop in missions anymore we buy them with marks and marks can not be traded to an alt so you can have 30 alts and they still need to HAVE 10 marks to spend if they want one catalyst.

Now it is not like they hide the facts about the possibility for failure when attempting to complete a breakthrough.. hell they want us to know that the higher we get an artifact the more of a chance there is for failure because they WANT us to buy those safety features. Is it possible to break through without losing any seals? Yeah there is some luck involved. hey last night a newer alt I own got his 2nd artifact to level 100 and I am still using the free seal I got from Constantine for completing the tutorial. BUT I have also had another alt that lost that first FREE seal getting an artifact to level 60. That is why when we had a 50% off sale a while back I bought 20 seals. I still have 17 left and I bought a few seals of completion with the last sale we just had.

I understand your issue with the NEED to spend real cash to advance but its the nature of the game and it is not going to change. Heck look at some of the newer Artifacts we have available. All three of the one's associated with Ras al Guhl and the Lazareth Pit can only be obtained by opening Time capsules so now we even have some artifacts that require us to use real cash to obtain. The game is struggling to stay profitable so things will not be changing any time soon. Unfortunately your only options are to buy what they are selling, wait for a sale and at least get those tings at a cheaper price, take your chances without the seal(s) and hope for good luck, or just ignore the whole artifact system completely.
  11. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

To be fair, when they're on the broker you had to pay to get access to the broker as well. That's one of those things where it's really no problem if you consider subscription the base game, but when you look at subscriptions as a paid feature then the perspective changes. Not an issue with the items but with subscription. That goes for Time Capsules and other things as well.
  12. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

That’s the thing isn’t it? Pay2win is a very gray, nebulous term that means different things to different people. Personally I’m not bothered, I don’t care what other people have or how they got it. Envy is a sucker’s game.
    • Like x 3
  13. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I agree what you are saying op but let's face it, nothing is free. Everything has a price!
    • Like x 1
  14. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

I don't know if this will help you to understand why they need seals to break through but I will try to.

Try playing Neverwinter or that Star Trek game.

Though the Trek online game may not have the artifact I believe it still has something similar with another item like neverwinter.

Neverwinter gear and artifacts require break throughs as well and offer seals.

It is a marketplace item that you can trade for as well but it is a way to earn a small transaction from the customers.

For years people have complained about the lack of items for sale on the marketplace as well.

In reality the addition is a good item to have in there, while styles and other cosmetics would be great I seriously doubt there would be a consistent needn't purchase the same content over and over again for 17 characters like the endless purchases of seals.

Neverwinter, STO, and DCuo all share the same type of item now lock boxes or TC and seals.

PB's were unlimited unlocked and is way different than TC's.

If that helps.
  15. Yes We Can Active Player

Pretty much called the new dcuo!

Not that it should be, all this rng crap really needs to go. What happed to to good old days of actually playing content and not wondering why a piece of rock has a seal on it? Seems like the aquarium version of the game I didn’t pay for.
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

No, it's not. "Pay to win" requires real money. Seals do not. Complaining about the need for in-game money to be earned is simply saying you don't want to have to waste time playing the game to earn rewards. That's not how games work.
    • Like x 2
  17. Hraesvelg Always Right

I used the initial free seal to get an entire artifact up to 120. You can also keep throwing marks at it from the catalyst boxes. It isn't "pay to win" it's "pay to make things easier", which is what a microtransaction system should be.
    • Like x 2
  18. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

Here are some numbers I'd put together some time ago to put it into perspective:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ftwMem1OQWnzqm7fvdr3MWRjP5IQMPP8iwA95mGs4Yk/edit#gid=0

There will be people that say the chance is X% (X% being the break-through chance) each time and they are right of course. These are just the odds of success after trying an Y amount of times in a row.

So how to read the sheet: if the breakthrough chance is 60% the breakthrough should have happened statistically on the 6th attempt of trying at the latest. Of course each 'throw' only has a 60% chance so it can take longer but this is a fair estimate of what to expect after trying an Y amount of times in a row.
  19. EP Ice Loyal Player

I don’t want to get into a heated debate. Market Place purchases require real cash to be spent. That is real money. Other than that, I have no clue what you are trying to convey here.

At this part of my original post, which you highlighted here, I am just pointing out that someone might not have the means to gain a seal after the initial free one is used up. I said this because I knew people would be recommending that as an option.
  20. EP Ice Loyal Player

I totally agree! I normally don’t care about leveling artifacts but I had all these marks and Nth and nothing to spend them on so I gave it a shot. I’ll just have level 119 artifact for a while. Lol
    • Like x 1