no more exuses, powers visual update!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Punkpirate, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Punkpirate Well-Known Player

It been 7 years, yes not saying everything looks bad or anything but dropping the ps3, and we get new styles that look 20x better than the original ones you get from character creator.

Shouldnt it be time for a power visual update? I mean even WoW can do it after 14 years whast DCUO excuse, they even dropped ps3 ps4/xbox /pc can handle it all now.

Worst powers that need critical visual update are Nature and Mental for sure.
    Ice is clunky and out of shape also, even earth does look really earthy. Will/Fear is well quess cant fix that much.

Mental ultimate you turn into re-skinned death reaper just purple make me vomit purple stuff sometimes, that how lazy of a power was that. Let's not even talk about nature's Animal forms o_O

Magic power sure look magical, but not as magical as they could in 2018.

Iconics well they are the most ok looking, maybe abit of texutre Sfx update needed.

I know this thread as been made thousands of time, but one more you never know when devs might listen.
    Im not saying i need it like its a must have, but it would make sense as time goes on and game wants to be alive for the next 7 years, im member ,played sence beta, just for old players like me a change wouldnt be worst idea.

-sorry for long rant, hope you all have nice day and reply to this thread so it stays on first page. :)
    • Like x 4
  2. nawanda Loyal Player

It would be nice, but you have to be realistic about the way the game is run now. Any improvements have to either cost next to nothing or generate incremental revenue.
  3. SparklingMayo Well-Known Player

I'd like the visuals scaled back or an option to turn off other players animations.

I'd also like the buff icons to be bigger and over the targets head.

What I'd really like is UI mods on PS
    • Like x 3
  4. Punkpirate Well-Known Player

True but hey they can give members a 170 CR advance to be nice, a visual update always brings in players old and new, keeping the game fresh, i dont see how they can milk money from that ...
    • Like x 1
  5. Kuno Loyal Player

Some powers could use updates / tweaks. Then they could sell Power Tint on the MP for powersets so they can get some $$$ and we can have Purple electricity, Green Radiation, Yellow Water... you name it xD (I'm serious, City of Heroes had that like 8 years ago...)
    • Like x 3
  6. SparklingMayo Well-Known Player

Haaa yellow water ;)
    • Like x 3
  7. Imaginos Dedicated Player

I just want Carol Ferris' body......yeah, that just happend. Really though that body model is really well done. On the subject of power looks.

I wish they'd do what City of Heroes did and divorce the color palette from the powers so we could color our powers. For that matter I wish they'd also divorce the 4 colors only thing across the whole character so we could change the color palette per armor part and have more then 4 colors overall, but still 4 choices per armor part.
    • Like x 2
  8. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Nature and earth are definitely in dire need of some visual upgrades. I'd love all powers to get a visual update, but last time that happened was in 2012. I'm not sure they're willing to put the man power into it.
    • Like x 1
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I think the word you're looking for is 'marry'.
  10. BumblingB I got better.

There were slight fixes to some visuals in 2013...

But it was also when they had more man power and was owned by Sony. #followthestabilizer
    • Like x 3
  11. MiniReaperette Level 30

We just need a full overhaul. Full playable character body model overhaul. Power FX redone and made player change-able. The abilitly to fully enjoy and utilize some existing cosmetic items IE: Wear materials on certain parts of the gear piece just like the color picker does now. Instead of encasing the entire piece in the material.

But its 2018 so overhauls are unlikely
    • Like x 1
  12. FoolsFire Devoted Player

The thing is, hasn't it been stated the PS5 will be released 2020?

The Devs might think, "Why update anything now when we can just slowly do it over a year and then release it in 2020?"
  13. Masm Active Player

All of these things would be great but would require massive amounts of man power that will most likely leave us with out any new content for some time.

The reasons companies like Blizzard can do that with WoW after 14 years is because they release new content once every 1 to 2 years in the forms of huge expansions with minor patches through out the life of said expansion.

DC on the other hand ( which we know ) releases smaller episodes every few months.

This is with out getting into how much money Blizzard makes compared to DayBreak.

So, it may come, it may not come...But don't set your expectations that IF it does it'll be "Hey guys here game update 99 with all your graphic updates"
    It'll be more like get ready for DC's first big expansion with a price point behind it.

Not trying to be negative but this is what it would require.
  14. Imaginos Dedicated Player

Not really. See in CoH the powers were already pre-colored and you couldn't change them at all. So what they did was redo all the power textures to be greyscale and programmed it so that you could tint those greyscales to a new color. Thus divorcing the previous colored texture effect from the power for a new one....perhaps Divorce and Re-marry heh.
    • Like x 1
  15. Punkpirate Well-Known Player

I dont think its some super coding pre code to change colors, if you remember fire already had both orange and blue fire...as i remember they didnt want power color change because of pvp so people know what power you are using ?
  16. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Which is a poor reason tbh, if the players can't tell which powers you are using by animation, I suggest them to give up gaming and stay in school, also it's not like powers are weak to other powers like umm. Pokemon.
    • Like x 2
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Can't forget that DC has a say in things too. Beyond combat messaging, there could be some directives from DC in place to maintain the power color status quo.

But even stepping beyond that possibility, it's one of the very few things they've stuck to from a design perspective from the start of the live game, and they've never shown any sign of budging. After seven years of sticking to their guns on the subject without fail, it's tough to see them changing their minds at this point.
  18. Miss Adora Loyal Player

would be nice but doubt it will happen. Would like an actual teenage body instead of sprite bodies.
  19. Knarlydude Loyal Player

If you knew how some of the stuff was done in Austin years ago when this game was in development you wouldn't say that. xD There was stuff being done that when people left no one knew what or how they did anything. The new guys had to figure it out and break things as they went and................ that could be the very reason why so many things use to get broken and never fixed.
  20. Imaginos Dedicated Player

Never heard a reason for dcuo not doing that. Makes sense but they could just disable color palette for pvp if they plan ahead.