DCUO Teases Teen Titans and Augments this Summer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

COME TOGETHER WITH THE TEEN TITANS AND NEW AUGMENTS SYSTEM THIS SUMMER

DC Universe Online's next major content releases bring the Teen Titans home to Titan's Tower and introduce a new system to upgrade your characters. The new episode, Teen Titans: Judas Contract, will launch this July, followed by the Augments system in August.

[IMG][IMG]
    DC Comics' New Teen Titans: Judas Contract, 1984
    DC Comics' Teen Titans Vol 6. #1, 2016

NEW EPISODE: TEEN TITANS: JUDAS CONTRACT

In JUDAS CONTRACT, the Teen Titans are evolving as a team and making upgrades to their home base: Titan's Tower! Cyborg has joined the Justice League, so the Titans are looking for new recruits, and that means you, heroes. Villains will look to infiltrate the Titans at the request of the Fearsome Five, and both heroes and villains will have to do well enough in training to show the Titans they have the right stuff.

Once on the island, things start to go wrong. But who is behind these events, and where are the Titans disappearing off to? The story will lead players into and around Titan's Island and Titan's Tower, and on to a certain someone's secret base of operations.

SJ'S TAKE: "One of the greatest Teen Titans stories ever told, the Judas Contract is coming to DCUO! It’s an absolute dream to be able to bring this story to life in-game. Updated with a modern DC roster, we’ll be including a few newer Titans characters, but the story will remain focused on the tale of Terra, the Teen Titan, and her tragic fall." - SJ Mueller, DC Universe Online Creative Director

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT JUDAS CONTRACT:
    • Judas Contract will be a large-scale episode and event, with level-agnostic event versions of content available for a limited time.
    • The episode will feature new and returning heroes and villains, including Nightwing, Raven, Damian Wayne, Red Robin, Terra, Jericho, and more.
    • The storyline will include a variety of singleplayer and multiplayer adventures set in and around Titan's Island and Titan's Tower.
    • The episode will launch new player rewards, including new gear, styles, base items, and feats.
    EPISODE 32: TEEN TITANS: JUDAS CONTRACT will launch this July on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

[IMG]
    DC Comics' Cyborg Vol. 1 #1, 2015

NEW SYSTEM: AUGMENTS

The modern superhero and supervillain is always evolving, seeking out and utilizing the latest magic, metagenes, and tech available for advantage in the field. For years in DCUO, this has meant a focus on the Research & Development of combat equipment mods powered by Exobit fragments left over from Lex Luthor's desperate gambit to prepare the world for Brainiac. This technology has served the world well, but a new breakthrough is on the horizon that leading scientists and engineers think will make equipment mods obsolete. Why modify gear, when the technology may soon exist to modify the body?

Introducing Augments. Designed to supplant and replace the current R&D mod system, Augments are similar to but go beyond equipment mods. Instead of socketing into gear like mods (and then needing to be moved and replaced frequently), Augments socket into your character's body directly, rank up like Artifacts, and provide a wide array of new bonuses and stats.

MICHAEL'S TAKE: "Out with the old and in with the new! We are replacing equipment mods with a new system called Augments. Augments take the best elements of equipment mods and combine them with original DCUO lore and new technology. This creates an exciting new system where you can customize your character in a convenient, powerful, and interesting way." - Michael Mann, DC Universe Online Lead Systems Designer

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT AUGMENTS:
    • This new system will replace R&D equipment mods.
    • Augments will socket directly into your character's body in a new addition to the character UI.
    • Augments will provide stats and additional bonuses for your characters.
    • Augments will rank up over time, similar to Artifacts, so that as you become more powerful, so too can your Augments.
    • Legacy R&D items will transition smoothly into the new system in a variety ways, depending on the item.
    The new AUGMENTS system will launch free for all players beginning this August on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Questions or comments? Join the discussion!
    • Like x 31
  2. L T Devoted Player

Whoa.

As a Titans fan, this sounds amazing.

As someone who generally dislikes mods, this sounds amazing-er.
    • Like x 7
  3. ChillCat Loyal Player

SUPER GREAT!!!
    • Like x 2
  4. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

Couple of questions on Augments..
    1) Will the gathering feats no longer be required going forward?
    2) How will this effect rewards for lower level content?
    • Like x 5
  5. DarthxVexus New Player

Regarding Augments, will we use exobits/bytes to upgrade them?
    • Like x 3
  6. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Will augments require catalysts and seals for breakthroughs like artifacts. I love DCUO so please say no.
    • Like x 13
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Will augments still use the existing 'components' meaning simples, complexes, some sort of essence from salvaging and a few 'elements'? If not, will the new components be tradable or at least account bound?

Reinheld
    • Like x 4
  8. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Is any of this gonna be on mp?
    • Like x 3
  9. velvetsanity Loyal Player

OMGOMGOMGOMGYESYESYEYSYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will we finally be able to get Starfire’s hairstyle and/or multicolor hair (with tintable materials using the hair palette when applied to hair)? :D

Please please please??? That and Starfire’s costume are all this would need to be 1000000000% perfect!
    • Like x 9
  10. Tygerfyre Committed Player

Looking forward to all the obsolete R&D recipes dropping off of my R&D UI. (Assuming that UI will even still exist. I'm assuming it will since there are still items we make that are not equipment mods, and some of those are quest-based.)

I'd very much like to see more detail on how items will be transformed into something in the new system. This becomes especially important if we need to use up accumulated exos, turning them into something usable before the transition.
  11. Yaiba Committed Player

So there is no equipment mods in upcoming episode? Yayyyyy
  12. BumblingB I got better.

Question: Will augments replace RND feats?
    Question: Will this retroactively go through the game, or just Titans DLC forward?
    Question: Is this what was mentioned on alternative leveling?
    • Like x 1
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

1) All current feats will still be obtainable. Some feats may end up getting autocompleted for everyone if they are truly obsolete. Gathering will still be a thing.
    2) We expect rewards will be adjusted where appropriate.

We will have much more information to share about the Augment system and the transition when we are closer to launching on the public test server.
    • Like x 15
  14. BumblingB I got better.

We think alike.

I bet upgrading them will be like upgrading the artifacts and you use the exobytes instead of Nth metal.

Edit, based on what Mepps said, I think I am right. So gathering will probably become useful again.
    • Like x 5
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Augments will be retroactive through the whole game. A new player will get introduced to the Augment system (and not the equipment mod system) at a low level.
    • Like x 9
  16. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

Thanks Mepps, understand the last statement. I can't wait for your Twitch show on it to answer all of our questions!
    • Like x 1
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Exobits/bytes will be one of the ways to rank up Augments.
    • Like x 10
  18. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

Lol...you already know that answer! ;)
  19. Zneeak Devoted Player

As someone who's been consistently stacking up on essence purifiers and the Atlantean Focusing & Core elements not only for Gen mods but for upcoming Equip mods, will all of those materials become moot with the new system or will they stay relevant?

Will this system also replace Generator mods or will that continue to be a thing in upcoming episodes alongside Augments?
    • Like x 5
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Interesting stuff with the Titans story. Seeing mention of Damian Wayne and Red Robin does make we wonder a bit if we'll see some NPC replacement in older content as a result. But after mentioning in another thread that I could live without a look based on the character, they HAD to mention Jericho being a part of it. Gonna kick myself if there's a gear set based on him. LOL

The Augments system sounds like it has some potential, but there's now a part of me wondering what will become of all those exobyte stacks I've got tucked away on some less-than-active characters. :confused:

EDIT: never mind about the exos, saw Mepps' post after I finished mine. :D
    • Like x 1