6 Months in, and what do we have to show?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Masm, May 30, 2018.

1. Masm Active Player

2018 Started out Hopeful in DCUO

Anti Monitor came back as the anniversary kicked off, re occurring from the year before ( but expected as it's an event ) but brought us a peak as what could be coming next with the small Return to Panopticon challenge. PS3 was also on the way out, finally lifting the "limitations" that held our game back for so long, and the promises of bigger and better things were on the horizon....

Then we waited.

We were given our first new episode of the year....STARRO/DELUGE call it whatever, our new episode was a re cycled event where we got;

1 new challenge ( which is half a recycled boss fight from the spring event)
    1 new Raid ( which was actually pretty decent and shows what the dev team can come up with when not lazy)
    and the same bunch of repeated daily missions followed by the collection hunt for the once highly rare OP item.

We got Artifacts, because everyone loves a grind for a minor stat increase.

We got a few MINOR QoL updates. Yes, I say minor...Stacking items to 99 should have been something long done for us, and the ability to auto warp to areas of interest does not make the game more enjoyable it just simply enables us to get through the quick content even quicker. (grind, grind, grind)

We got a MEGA Time Capsule, something the community has begged to be removed out of the game, and a slap in the face to those still upset about the Time Capsule glitch of 2017 (yeh Pepperidge farm still remembers) and the Booster Bundle re emerged. ( Because 2 Random Loot Boxes are better than 1 )
    "But they're a company trying to make money!" Sit down and shhhh you ppl don't help the REAL quality of the game.

Then we waited....But we were told "DON'T WORRY! The Death of DCU...er...a Superman is about to drop."

(Quick, give them another artifact slot so they have more to grind and don't realize we said DoS will be out in April)

April showers, brings May disappointments....

(Crap DoS, still isn't ready, Raise the Artifacts to 120, they LOVED the MEGA CAPSULE, so we'll call this a Mega Grind)

Death of Superman Part 1 is a grind fest of 5 - 6 boring missions and a repeatable grind feat bounty.

Reward....Lobo Style....no stats, no progession.....

For the last 6 months, paying customers of this game have been given no more than an hour and a half worth of playable game time daily. ( This of course goes for those who have caught up characters, and not alts or those who are behind )
    If you keep up with the game as a serious player, you are finished very quickly and are almost forced to play multiple characters.
    If not you either need to
    A) Spend money to reset current content to keep working on progression ( if you're not already done)
    B) Just run content with no reward.
    C) PVP? Yeh right.
    D) Grind Grind Grind those feats ( Feat count completion is another thing that has become a joke in this game, for almost 0 reward)

This game needs MORE.
    More than just a grind aimed at just keeping us logged in and busy.
    More than excuses to force us to spend extra money
    More reasons to want to give you our Money i.e. just put time capsule items on the Market to buy out right instead of a gambling scheme
    More than just styles and base items.

We want the DCUO of old.
    We want anticipation to build for content.
    We're hungry and starving

Mepps you're probable hovering over the Lock and Delete button right now, but believe me the players love the game and want it to last.

But

Things

Need

To

Change!!!!!!!!
    • Like x 18
  2. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Why would things change when people are paying money for things the way they currently are?
    • Like x 1
  3. Masm Active Player

FTP out ways actual paid subs at this point.
    Subs are dropping even faster now.
    People at Daybreak are being laid off.
    The game will not last off of Time Capsules and Booster Bundles.
    • Like x 4
  4. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

Bold claims. Would like to see hard data to support them.
    • Like x 1
  5. Masm Active Player

6. BumblingB I got better.

• Like x 1
  7. Masm Active Player

Correct, the company as a whole is losing money, so they are cutting the lowest first.

DCUO is most likely, at this point, the most profitable game the company has.

But eventually the novelty of playing dress up and looking at nice base items will ware off, and real game players will move on to an mmo that delivers a better super hero experience.

Games like WoW have been around forever. When games like Marvel Heroes online died because of what? repeated events and no real content. All the styles and cosmetics marvel had wasn't enough to save the licencing from being pulled.
  8. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

I'm not saying I disagree with your sentiment but again why would a company stop doing the practices that people are paying for.. and in "abundance".
    • Like x 1
  9. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Marvel Heroes had a host of problems that can't even be covered and shouldn't be compared to DCUO (even for lack of content) because at the end of the day that would be unfair to DCUO.

I won't argue that DCUO is probably Daybreak's most profitable game because that's more than likely a safe bet. While they are doing a lot of "style over substance" plays the folks here are spending money and "the consensus" is saying people are enjoying what they are getting... so as long as the game is going (and as long as people keep voting with their wallets) Daybreak will continue to go along the path they are going on.
    • Like x 2
  10. TestReporter Loyal Player

What? No. They had to cut H1Z1 staff because it lost about 90% of it's playerbase to Fortnite and PUBG and only now with the PS4 launch and it going F2P they are getting some players back, but it's still nothing compared to the past and to the top battle royale games (it still has only 10% the number of players fortnite has).

The marvel thing i agree with, they focused a LOT on cosmetics and no real content, resulting in a terrible PS4 launch that plus the problems with the CEO and other few things lead to the game's shutdown.
  11. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I don't think Mepps would lock this down. He's very reasonable when it comes to concrete feedback that doesn't insult anyone or go over the line. This post is passionate, but not agressive. You explained how you feel, what you think is wrong and what the company should do to remedy the situation.

I partially agree with the content situation (mostly because I played Starro last year heavily), but I'll wait to see how long it is until the next real episode launches (Deluge is only 5 weeks old right now) before passing judgement. DoS hasn't excited me in any way, but it's not over yet, so I'll wait on that too.

Overall, nice post.
    • Like x 3
  12. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Plus having a fraction of the PC characters didn't help that game (considering since some of folks favorites was never released).
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Uh... No... That part of H1Z1 didn't make money so they killed it. Just like they killed Everquest Next.

Huh. I've played #fashionframe and I gotta say, I feel fabulous!

The marvel game didn't really have cosmetics, it was different versions of the same iconic character. Not a good comparison. I'd be more inclined if you mentioned City of Heroes or something.
    • Like x 2
  14. Masm Active Player

Why would they? You're right, they most likely wont. They are making a crap ton of money right now or obviously it would have changed a long time ago.

Why SHOULD they however. Let's be real, Daybreak isn't really putting out too many other captivating titles that are lasting.

DCUO is an instant get for any fan boy/girl who loves gaming. But the fan boy/girls are all thats left really. The hardcore gamers are all but gone, although a few still hang on with hope.
    The ppl that come to play content and not dress up will ultimately be the ones spending money over time.

Daybreak would end up making more money, releasing larger, well thought out expansions ( i,e, level cap raise, progressive story content, Raids being end game and not accessible from the start. An actual point to renown and reputation. ) and charging a flat fee, and making cosmetics a market place item rather than loot box.

That's why the SHOULD CONSIDER, and model change.

Would they? Man I'm surprised this post is even still up to be honest.
    • Like x 1
  15. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

This game began to fail once cash grabs outweighed content. Notice all the new content is the same? It's all about Time Capsules and now Artifacts. The game isn't fun anymore. Once a new event comes out, trying to get raids together for older stuff is impossible which is why it was a real dick move to take away the ability to solo old raids by screwing with power. Ever try to get a raid group together for Kahndaq? Would take you a week. Even getting groups together for Age of Justice content is next to impossible.
    • Like x 4
  16. Masm Active Player

I hear what you're saying, however I never had a problem getting groups together. I had a very active league until they all went inactive due to the game being dull.
    • Like x 1
  17. Kuno Loyal Player

I agree with the OP.
    Content this year has been recycled and meh so far. PS3 drop, alleged influx of money they made with TCs but we haven't seen any meaninful upgrade made to the game overall.
    We are in june now. This doesnt look well, I literally sleep doing content because is not fun and is so boring and repetitive.
    They need to invest in the game, make upgrades and new fresh content with good mechanics.
  18. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

This. Cash grabs ruined this game.
    • Like x 3
  19. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

It’s a Morton’s Fork for me. Any content that’s been released that has been “engaging” has been a miserable slog for me. Indeed, that half-decent raid you happened to mention caused me to have a very public and embarrassing panic attack.

It’s been nice to turn on the game and know I’ll be able to finish everything I decide to do that day these last few episodes. But I’m also aware that the game is slowly grinding to a halt, and that something needs to be done. Either way, my future in this game is in question.
  20. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Hi Masm

Provocative thread.. but ultimately I have to agree with the *sentiment*.

Was talking to my League Boss last night on FB.. man! I said to him 'Just about to log bro... but I gotta say.. I am going out my mind with boredom when I log.. NEED NEW CITIES.. NEW POWERSETS.. this content. so dry. makes me thirsty.'

we talked (I'm not going to share what he said without his permission)

Then I said (edited) 'flip sake they drop the PS3 so they can make new stuff.. what do they do? release the old content.. I mean im glad they made it a DLC.. but yknow.. what do we do now?.. flip Teen Titans is the next drop.. im not 12yo.. be nice to those who are excited about it.. but where the flip is the new cities and powersets that the PS3 was holding them back from '

I'll give DB their due.. the QoL membership stuff has been a boon, I applaud them! Earth 3, Artifacts.. great stuff.
    BUT I'm looking around in game..I have asked since 2012 (and many many others have too) for them to open up Central City.. with the dropping of PS3, I was hopeful and energized that we would see new cities. ... sad fact, I sometimes go in to Central City just to fly around the collision areas and daydream what it would be like to have the full thing.. then I log out after an hour. didn't play anything. just did that.

I feel like a dog at a window that wants to go outside to play.

Last week I suggested to Leaguemate.. hey they could open Central City and give us new secondary mentors.. a friend of mine has a saying 'All the gear; no idea' and the secondary mentors could teach roles.. ever seen a Tank come in with all DPS gear? They could be taught about this by their secondary mentor.. Ever seen a Healer come in and attack everything and start dragging aggro.. Healer' but I need to attack the bad guys to be part of the team..' Me: Why are you a healer then?' Healer: 'oohw I just like the little heart in the corner, it's cute.' .. by this time my leaguemate was in fits of laughter.. he said: SO TRUE! A secondary mentor around the 150/170/200 cr mark, might be an idea.

I digress..

I decided I wanted to stop my membership for summer, and wait it out until winter to see if we had any new cities or powersets *cough* Lantern Healer *cough* thinking my membership was every 3 months. I was wrong it's every 6 months and has just came off. This is me until November.

To give a little contrition to Titans fans.. I get yous are excited about the Titans coming to DCUO in proper fashion, I wish you no ill.. NO ILL, in your fun and RP..I am surprised it didn't happen sooner. enjoy! (And to any Titans fan who was nice to me in that other Thread, Thank you. kindly.)

I am just a teeny bit .. cross.. about the widely held belief (and it seems justifiably so) that we will never see a Lantern Healer within the life of this game. Or some decent Lantern Content.. (2014) recycling Metro instead of giving us Coast City.. well, that burns me a little but I understand why: DB going through financial crisis to become DB. hardware limitations.

Those two conditions are not the case now however. DB is stable and in profit. we no longer have the PS3 holding us back.

I have said a few times on here and even through feedback provided to DB (Surveymonkey).. unbottle South Gotham use it's bridge connect via a stripped down Area 51 outside of Ferris Alert (not the small Duo but the Alert is huge and has the bay across from Coast City) .. and BAM! new city of Coast City.

The cost of this would be moderate.

Providing Coast City AND a Lantern Healer.. man! that's worth the membership for me!

I am not going to be mean spirited about the Superman Anniversary content. I'm a big Superman fan! Thank you for this additional content! Fighting Doomsday was fun.. Ambush Bug was a great touch! yeah! I completed the starter missions 17 times with main/each alt. And I still enjoyed hearing Supergirls foxy awkward laugh everytime in the investigations. :)

But I *feel* Masm's sentiment.. where do I go from here?

No one needs a game tailored to just one person, or only that one person would play that game.. but conversely, how do I feel included if half my RP is no longer part of this game? (Lanterns)
    What do I have to look forward to? (Cities?)

I honestly don't know.. I am starting to feel like saying 'No it's not you.. it's me. We grew apart and that was my fault. ' idk.

EDIT: Masm has edited his initial post.. I agree with less of it now. :/