what exactly is the time line in this game?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by stärnbock, May 19, 2018.

1. stärnbock Devoted Player

honestly, i don't get it, because: the first encounter with doomsday was when superman died in death of superman, if i remember correctly: booster gold heard from him in the future and called him doomsday, accidentally giving him the name (he also gave sinestro the tip to call his yellow lanterns the sinestro corps), time paradox be damned... anyways, noone else has ever heard from him before this first encounter in the comic leading into the (spoiler!) death of the man of steel (the movie sucked btw) superman...

now: we allready have battled doomsday in the game multiple times, the new map in metropolis were we fight against him is not in the past at all, the dialog with calculator and lois lane suggests that doomsday is back, sooo... the question is: will superman die again, or has he survived his first encounter in the game with a different backstory for the hwole situation? did the time travels change some parts of the story or is it something else i missed? will there be an explanation later in the second and third part of the event, or was the origin of the story changed, forgotten or ignored by the devs?
  2. EconoKnight XIII Legion

This is based on the “Doomed” storyline from a few years ago, and it was a return of Doomsday long after the events of Death of Superman / Return of Superman. The difference here is that Superman doesn’t actually die; he instead is infected by the spores and becomes something they call SuperDoom.

[IMG]

And with “Doomed” being a New 52 story, the rule of the New 52 was that we were dropping into a DC Universe where all of the heroes had only been public for around five years. So that would probably be a place to start - the Death of Superman and Doomed would have a range between them of somewhere within five years.
  3. stärnbock Devoted Player

i totally hate everything about new 52 and haven't read that stuff... good it is now tossed into the "another dimention time line" garbage can... that explains a lot though... thx for the information! to the devs: can we get back the classic models, please?
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Nah, they deleted the original files, so no going back to pre-SuperOdo days
  5. stärnbock Devoted Player

i wish we could choose wich model we as players would like to see for ourselves: only visible to us, everyone else would see the models they have chosen for themselves... guess that would be to much work to do, and wouldn't be worth it because it doesn't make $... anyways, every characters new model they have given us, starting with superman, then aquaman, doomsday and lois lane (haven't seen supergirl yet), maybe look more realistic now, only that they also look very generic, uncharismatic, lame and skinny. maybe it is nostalgia, just that i liked the way they looked like before: as if they came out of a comic book or animated movie...
  6. Great Architect Loyal Player

I suspect that your question is "Is this the second Death Of Superman", or "Is Doomed Metropolis in the past"?

My answer to that is: - Have you done the Ambush Bug mission in Doomed Metropolis? If so, what is the latest cover date on the comics you found?

You're welcome :).
  7. stärnbock Devoted Player

can we haz new superman legend skins?
  8. stärnbock Devoted Player

do you mean the issue "action comics #1"?
    honestly, i thought it is just a fourth wall break,
    you mean the date will tell me the answer?
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

When they changed the models in EQ2 years ago (long before the bugs), people were able to choose which model they wanted: the original they were probably more familiar with, or the newer version

Even though it's supposedly the same team, shame DCUO won't do that :(
    • Like x 1
  10. stärnbock Devoted Player

yes, that would be awesome, don't you think? not sure what EQ2 is though...
  11. stärnbock Devoted Player

it is just like this: sometimes, fixing makes it worse...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

EverQuest II
    • Like x 1
  13. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Same company doesn’t mean same dev team...

Also, EQ2 uses a *completely* different engine, so whatever code they wrote to do that in EQ2 probably won’t work for DCUO.
  14. stärnbock Devoted Player

no offence to those who tryed theyr best.
    i know how devastating critique of art is.
    maybe it helps giving future models spark.
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Fairly sure they both use the UnReal Engine...
  16. velvetsanity Loyal Player

DCUO does, definitely. I’m not sure what engine EQ2 uses - the original EQ uses a custom engine that SOE/Verant built from scratch years before Unreal even existed.
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

DCUO is it's own universe with its own timeline.
    • Like x 2
  18. stärnbock Devoted Player

sure, yet the question is still: was superman dead allready before (original death of superman story happened) or not? well, it could be that this event is happening long after the first encounter where doomsday and super killed eachother and now, the game is doing the new52 version where he will not maybe, wich would make sense... however: the event is called "death of superman" suggesting otherwise... the game is a mash up of everything that ever happened in DC comics, so it doesn't make things less confusing IMHO
  19. velvetsanity Loyal Player

They’re combining DoS with Doomed, according to what was said in the most recent livestream. So this may be the first time Superman has died in the DCUO timeline. We’d need a dev to weigh in to know for sure.
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

There is a Superman Memorial statue in Centennial Park....
    • Like x 3