Test Discussion Death of Superman Part 2: Doomsday (Raid)

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by JackFrost, May 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackFrost Developer

Releasing today on the PCTest server is the next part of our Death of Superman story...the "Doomsday" Raid!

When you log in, you should receive a mission entitled "Confronting Doomsday" if your character is level 10 or above. Follow that mission's instructions and queue up for the "Doomsday (Level 10+)" in the Novice Tier 2 section or the "Doomsday" Raid in the Expert Tier 9 section of the 8 Player Tab of your On Duty menu.

This is Part 2 of the story that began with Doomsday descending on Metropolis (See Part 1: Doomed Metropolis, which is active on the Live Server now). That said, the intent is for this content to stay turned on and active so it can be revisited even after we release future content.

Please comment in this thread with any feedback or bug reports.

Thanks to everyone for helping us to test the new content, as well as for the feedback! We really appreciate it.
  2. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    It is very easy for Doomsday to get stuck on pets, crystals, and other obstructions when he is walking to a downed civilian. When he is in his walking phase, he'll just stop attacking. Sometimes he'll just abort walking to the civilian. Here is an example of him getting stuck on some pets:
    • Like x 1
  3. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    I've run the Normal version of the raid a couple of times so far and I'm not sure what to leave as feedback. What is the intended difficulty level for this raid on Normal? We cleared it no problems on our first try and it only took a few minutes. To me, the Doomsday raid seems easier than the open world boss. The only problem I see is that the raid is a bit of a DPS test with trying to wear down Doomsday while he constantly heals up.
  4. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    "X" does not always mark the spot where damage is going to occur. Here is one example:

I'm guessing I took the big hit from Doomsday unmarked landing.

That happened more than what I would have liked.
  5. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    It would be nice if Doomsday would show "skull" for his Heat Vision attack:

With all the posturing and walking around Doomsday likes to do in this fight, it is very easy to miss the tell for his OHK Heat Vision. I know he showed a skull at the very start of the clip, but he didn't perform the attack for almost 10 seconds.
  6. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Questions
    1. When Doomsday jumps up into the sky, does he shoot rockets?
    You can seem a rocket fly into frame at about 3 to 4 seconds. I take damage from something at 8 seconds even though I'm nowhere close to the "X". You can see something on the ground at 6 to 7 seconds, but I'm not sure what it is.

If that rocket is supposed to do damage, it would be nice if there was a small explosion effect.

2. As the fight progresses, Doomsday will often spawn several large blue/purple crystals on the map. Are they supposed to do any damage? It was hard to tell what/if any effect they were supposed to have.

3. What exactly do the Kryptonite Turrets do? We activated them because Oracle told us to, but it didn't seem like they were needed. We were doing a good enough job of wearing Doomsday down.
  7. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    Doomsday has a bad habit of showing a "fake skull". He'll show "skull" and do nothing. Here is an example:

He shows skull at 5 seconds and the next thing he does is block.

I don't know what to make of his skull warnings. Sometimes he'll do a dangerous attack after showing skull. Often times he'll just do nothing. Here is another example where his skull attack just stuns me for a couple of seconds:
  8. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    Can something be done to spice up Doomsday's reappearance after jumping?

He just kind of reappears out of nothingness. Maybe a small dust cloud and shockwave would be appropriate?

I was well away from the "X" in this clip and didn't take any damage. It would be nice if there was another marker for where Doomsday is supposed to reappear.
  9. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    Here are some thoughts on the final cutscene for the Hero version:
    1. I like how the final punch sequence is staged and everything goes to black.

2. The Justice League appearing out of nowhere is kind of awkward. Maybe there could have been a mention at the start of the raid of the rest of the Justice League staying out of the fight on purpose or trying to arrive on-site as quickly as possible?

3. "I need to call Nightwing and let him know. He'll be devastated" -- Oracle
    Why is Oracle going to call Nightwing first? Aren't there going to be a lot of people to contact and that will feel devastated by this turn of events?

4. I don't feel the final cutscene does a good job of selling the "death" of Superman very well. Superman's costume looks just fine at the end of the fight. There isn't even any blood on it. It is a sharp contrast to the iconic comic death panel.
    • Like x 1
  10. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Nightwing and Oracle were a couple in the comics for awhile (even got married in one reality), so I think the implication is that she’s calling her boyfriend.

[IMG]

Also, it’s worth noting that Superman and Nightwing had a connection too; Superman gave him his name in honor of a masked hero of Kandor who was named Nightwing.”

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  11. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I know Oracle and Nightwing had a relationship in the comic, but has it ever been mentioned in DCUO? I always feel a bit uncomfortable making assumptions about what aspects of the comics should be considered as being part of the game.

Without any prior buildup to acknowledge the relationship, the raid dialog feels a bit out of place to me.
  12. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I don’t mind it. It’s a little Easter egg of sorts for comics fans; but also serves as immersion in that our characters aren’t meant to know the intimate relationships of every hero. What she says is a real life reaction, and some of us would ask, “Why call him?” with some of us guessing why. It’s like super hero gossip. lol
    • Like x 7
  13. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

A lot of the issues you’re reporting with Doomsday’s AI happen in the open world version on live too. Showing false skulls, heat visioning you to death without warning, getting stuck on pets, etc. Is Doomsday supposed to have some kind of emote/animation that warns you he’s about to use the heat vision? It’s possible I just haven’t noticed it.
  14. spack2k Steadfast Player

Do you need probiotics to test the raid ? i dont want to go farm those on test aswell just to test out the raid, i am interested in how meleeable friendly is the raid?
  15. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

There's a feat for the entire group not using probiotics. Like Penryn said, Doomsday DM is harder than the raid.
    Doomsday's DoT aura in Doomed Metropolis, with probiotics consumed, hurts even MORE than not consuming one in the raid. Thought it's justifiable lore-wise, since you're given a more potent probiotic by the scientist in the raid.
  16. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Seconding Penryn's statement about difficulty. Metropolis Doomsday seems a bit more harder than the one in raid.

Question is, is that the intended difficulty of the regular version? If so, that doesn't belong in tier 9 raids. It seemed like SRRageEmber/Trex, at 224, was fine going against 247 Doomsday. If not, then the obvious, little nudge on difficulty is needed to be categorized as a tier 9 raid.

Couple other things, "X marks the spot/s" AoE is a bit wider than the X itself, and what are those supposed to be? debris? rockets? and the turret spawning from the ground seems a bit odd really, they just pop out from the ground.
  17. Penryn The Gadgeteer

As Arwen mentioned, there is a feat for doing the raid without the Probiotic. We tried it on our second run and it didn't pop for some reason. The feat did pop on our third run though.

Running without the Probiotic is more of a inconvenience than anything. You'll automatically get pulled out of Stealth/Invisibility if you aren't using the Improved Stealth mod. The aura DoT ticks can interrupt you while trying to activate the turrets. Using the Probiotic makes the raid even easier.

Raid Doomsday seems to be about as melee-friendly as the open world version. That is to say that the people that were getting close to him were the most likely to be knocked out.
  18. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Question
    How high does the "run counter" feat go? Does it stop at 6 runs or are there additional feats after that?
  19. EconoKnight XIII Legion

From a story standpoint, it makes some sense that Doomed Metro Doomsday is stronger; the open world version is fresh to the fight. The Doomsday in the raid has been beaten on for quite awhile.

If they wanted to drive home the difference as a story point, they could start the raid with Doomsday with a visually low health bar. The numbers would stay the same; just the visual of that bar being lower (similar to how we fought Zeus with half of his health zapped away). Of course, leaving that big open area of health bar could make things daunting if you let Doomsday heal up too much. Maybe it could be that Superman’s attacks are keeping Doomsday’s health from going above a certain level - could even make Superman look useful.

In any case, this is looking something like the Anti-Monitor raid in the anniversary event; and that’s really what I expected it to be.
    • Like x 1
  20. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Question
    Is Doomsday supposed to have a teleportation ability?

After landing at 7 seconds, he disappears and teleports very close to me.

This is another example of people standing outside the "X" area and still taking damage. Note where SRRageEmber is standing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.