Skill Points, Stat Points, Power Points, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, May 16, 2018.

1. BumblingB I got better.

I've been thinking about this since they went through the Stats Matter update.

Why did they remove power points, when there are still powers in your movement and iconic trees? Why didn't they just make those readily available, like they did with the power trees?

Why do weapons need to still use skill points to purchase? Like powers, the tree that you started with should unlock with the level you are at. If they are to learn another tree, it would be based on purchasing a new weapon and it would unlock all. Like the artifact weapons in Necro. (Which included weapon mastery combos too.)

These changes are confusing to new players. (Not as bad as initial version.) They half streamlined it. The change to stat points was amazing. You don't have to sillily purchase 4 points into a weapon that you never would ever use to buy stats, but it wasn't pushed the whole way. Keep stat points for purchasing stats only. Everything else should unlock in the initial leveling stages.

In case you are wondering, I have 362SP and I am not trying to get more out of my points. The amount that you waste on the above mentioned is not very significant to make a difference. (Like 15-20ish I believe.) I am just asking about uniformity. To make sense.

It's okay to disagree. Please keep it a fun conversation. :)
    • Like x 20
  2. Caesar's Lion Dedicated Player

Agreed.

Like you say, this makes minimal (performance) difference to someone at your SP, but for new players, & for the convenience of players messing around with different playstyles, this could really help.
    • Like x 4
  3. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Just one of many missed opportunities with the revamp
    • Like x 7
  4. Aren Sul Committed Player

I had the same thoughts in the back of my mind with revamp, especially with iconic powers. For weapons, I guess the same can be true, but skill points or some other method would be needed to learn a second weapon/mastery.

I also wouldn't mind if, during your climb from 1-30, an optional mission is available to 'learn' an iconic power. Maybe the same for alternate weapons/mastery. It could be really simple development-wise, like revisit a solo instance and clear all mobs using either the new weapon (temporary ability) or iconic power. Kind of like training.
    • Like x 1
  5. BumblingB I got better.

I'm all for more tutorial content, but I'm thinking more of the long term with weapons.

When you level, aside from the actual quest rewards, you don't really get access to better weapons as drops. So that IL 20 hand blaster could be replaced temporarily by a IL 25 rifle until you get a quest reward that gives you a better weapon or can buy one off the T1 vendor.

There has been a lot of QoL changes to the game and this step of streamlining would help greatly new players to not be frustrated or discouraged.
    • Like x 1
  6. BumblingB I got better.

After the DLC launched and again they raised the single stat max purchase, I found myself respecing and asking these same questions.

Why can't weapons and powers be open like our power points are?
    • Like x 4
  7. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Powers & movement mode we have to pay to change. Weapons there is a change token for 5 buckso_O but it is not really necessary...... and thank the lord it's not.

Be careful what you ask for. We could be made to where we have to pay to change our weapons or be stuck with the weapons we originally picked when we made our toons.:(

The movement mode points definitely should have been made wo function just like the power points.

I think the weapons points allocation is fine the way it is considering we can change out weapons anytime that we would like without actually costing a dime.

This is my take on the weapons issue. Off topic but still relevant for weapons.

Weapons should have been gone through a lot more precisely than they were during the Revamp.
    If it were not for a couple people constantly bringing up weapons during the revamp and they know who they are. Weapons would have been left out in the cold.

There are still too many combos & cross weapon combos that are useless because they take too long animation wise or take too many clicks to get there. All the combos should have been gone through with a fine toothed comb and all combos should have been shortened by adding another input to help make game play more variable and faster. What weapons is now. Weapons are clunky & slow.......... Unlessssss you use the few combos that are viable. Any weapon combo more than 5 clicks needs to be shortened or DCUO needs to let player use macros for these combos. I'm not even sure macros would help some of the 7, 8,9,10 click combos.:mad:
  8. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I mentioned this when stats matter was first released... weapon/weaopon mastery flight abilities and iconics should no longer cost sp theres really no reason for them to... and it puts precision dps at a disadvantage when the power dps dont have to waste sp....

I also wish they would include new abilities in the weapon trees...

I badly want the “kryptonian” brawler and martial arts weapon trees... i want my ranged attack to be heat vision

Heat vision color based on your power set...

So atomic would be orange mental purple quantum blue etc etc.
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

I want them to expand the entire iconic powers in general, but overall, stat points should be just for stat points.
    • Like x 4
  10. Miss Adora Loyal Player

my only thought why movement isn't like that because of races. There is a feat to complete a certain race (forgot which one) without using movement modes. So if we got them for free, we wouldn't be able to get the feat.
  11. BumblingB I got better.

Naw, that can be treated like they did with RND and Augments. Obsolete means autocomplete.
    • Like x 3
  12. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

+1 to this. I don't spec into weapons when I tank, cause it's useless. I even use my original weapon so I dont have to waste any other SP. I'll never buy that token to change my original weapon, lol. Like you said, should just have everything unlocked at level 30 like powers. This would also be nice for all the WE players that have to put points into precision and might.
    • Like x 1
  13. Memphis Rainz Well-Known Player

Why than not give all for free? Skills in movements and weapons trees give additional advantage and player pay for that. Weapons rebalance it's different question.

P.S.
    If you think, that WeaponExpert need to spend a lot SP in might, then you are newbie or idiot. Your choice.
  14. Schimaera Devoted Player

I'm all for having all weapons and movment perks unlocked right away.
    • Like x 2
  15. BumblingB I got better.

Since it's been over 4 years since I created this post, these QoL changes still hold up now, but I'll streamline my points.

• Please make all powers, including iconic and movement, be purchased automatically, like the Power Points are.
    • Please make weapons only cost the first single SP or grant all automatically by level, including weapon mastery.
    I'd like to point out, when Charon was here, he mentioned that they want to add a collection feat for iconic weapon styles to the game, but could not introduce it because he couldn't figure out how we could collect the style when we don't have the weapon purchased. (It has to be usable to consume it.) Having all weapons purchased would fix this problem, if someone is still trying to figure that out.
    Anyways, thank you all.
    • Like x 2
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'm mixed on the subject. I think for the movements, the 'powers' should be unlocked and the innates like movement mode and the power recovery/resistences should cost a point. You should have to make a choice if you want 1 more point in might, or resistance to stunning moves....a point in health or a tiny bit of power recovery.

Iconic powers I'd say can still cost a point...seems cheap to add many useful powers and each is a-la carte vs down a tree.

Weapons and WM....meh, I get it. I don't feel like wasting an extra 8-10 SP getting a weapon tree loaded up I'll never use except for the mastery on my main weapon....I'd say you just need to have access to the 2nd weapon and can get the mastery of the first. (i.e. full tree in DW + 1 point in Bow and you can use DW mastery points). Not sure if this is what you are getting at, but I'd see it as an improvement.

As far as getting those other weapon styles, I keep 1 loose SP just for such occasions as I come across an old weapon style I don't have (doesn't happen much these days outside of iconic weapons). So I can put it in that weapon, consume the style and then reset to armory and free the SP up again.

EDIT....just noticed this was a Necro.....ah well.
  17. BumblingB I got better.

I just want to see it streamlined and make sense with how they did the changes to the stat innates and power points.
    • Like x 1