Test Discussion DoS: Narrative and Cinematic Feedback

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by JohnnyDC, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyDC Developer

Hi guys,

This thread is for feedback and bug reporting concerning cinematics, dialogue issues and general narrative issues. Feel free to post anything you come across.
    Thanks for testing!
  2. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    Is the "The Lost Collection" mission the same for Heroes and Villains? If I was playing a Villain, I sure wouldn't leave those rare comics on the ground in Doomed Metropolis. Those would be going straight to the player auction house! Superman #14 is going for several hundred/thousand dollars on eBay. Even from the Hero perspective, you wouldn't leave a very valuable comic near a pile a rubble or a Doomsday spore cloud. Copies of those comics belong in a museum.

This comic mission feels a bit reality-warping to me. DCUO exists on an Earth where Superman is real, but all of these comics presumably come from our Earth. How is that supposed to work?

EDIT:
    I appreciate the info dumps we receive about each iconic issue. However, I feel like this mission would have worked better if a thumbnail of the comic appeared beside the text window.
    • Like x 1
  3. inferno Loyal Player

Story is straightforward, nothing seems to be out of place or confusing for me.

Maybe, the most confusing part was the end when I went to look for Lois. As I saw her, I initially ended up looking at her new artwork and comparing it to a female toon beside her, after my initial inspection I realized I wasn't sure what I needed to do. I had forgotten if I had already activated her and her speech had been somehow muted. It wasn't until I looked around that I saw the gift, picked it up and then the action cog appeared on Lois.

In the end, my other comment would be the cliffhanger or lack of one. Yes, this is only the first part of the story but it seems to abrupt too suddenly. I noticed this in past episodes. I think DCUO needs to develop a "same bat-time, same bat-channel" cliffhanger so players don't end up scratching their heads wondering if there is something else to do.
    • Like x 1
  4. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this but:

Bug: Kara and Kal Investigation Description is inaccurate
    The description for the "Kara and Kal" Global Investigation reads:

"A collection of meandering musing on 80's pop music, dance fads, the DCUO Dev team, and oh... that guy with big "S" on his chest. All courtesy of me, Ambush Bug."

but the Investigation is Supergirl, talking about Superman.
    • Like x 1
  5. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

The comics could come from Earth Prime:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Prime#DC_Comics

Considering DCUO is (mostly still) based on the Pre-New 52 version, this Multiverse Earth might still exist.
    • Like x 1
  6. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    I don't know whether to report this here or in JackFrost's thread.

The subtitles on Villain side have several errors.

Example #1:
    This is from the Researcher Davies speech.

The subtitles start off with "says". The last sentence doesn't end with a period.

Example #2:
    This is from Calculator's speech.
    [IMG]

"embarrasment" is misspelled. Calculator also uses a stranded proposition in his speech. He must be really angry to do that.

Example #3:
    Researcher Davies doesn't end her speech with a period.

Example #4:
    Captain Meredith says "engaged" in his dialog but the subtitles use "occupied."

Also, "STAR" was being spelled as "S.T.A.R." in other subtitle lines.
    • Like x 1
  7. JohnnyDC Developer

Hey Penryn,

Thanks for the info.

So little background on Mister Ambush Bug... To put it briefly, he's not right in the head. He's all sorts of warped. As a member of the DC Continuity police, I can confirm that he's been busted for no less than 58 infractions of continuity based crimes! He's actually currently wanted for for an additional 25 counts of blatantly breaking the "Fourth Wall", revealing more than a dozen superhero and supervillain secret identities (even while wearing their costumes) and generally being a pain in the writers behind.

I appreciate the tip on his location and current malicious mischief. The problem is every time we stick him in a holding cell, his sidekick Cheeks the Toy Wonder breaks him out and he just <POPS> somewhere else in the time line. I promise to look into this and bring down all of the author-O-TIE vested in me by the DC Continuity Police... Just as soon as I finish my morning coffee and get a few donuts in me belly.

Thanks for looking out....

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  8. JohnnyDC Developer

I understand... This content piece is a bit of a snowflake in that you are meant to play it out as it's released over the next few weeks. Right now, Doomsday and Superman are fighting it out in Metropolis, but I can assure you Supes can't distract him forever.Sooner than later, some kind of showdown is going to happen, and Superman is going to need all the help he can get....

Keep your eyes on the Daily Planet Kiosk for updates...
  9. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I thought Jonni DC was the formal DC Continuity Cop?

I'd like to see a DCUO adaptation of "Ambush Bug: Year Zero," but I doubt that will ever been green-lit.

Thanks JohnnyDC. I'd still like for my Villain to be able to steal Ambush Bug's comic book collection. There is a greater profit margin to be realized there compared to the reward Ambush Bug is offering.

Also, Ambush Bug doesn't have any further dialog/interactions once you complete the mission. I was hoping there would be a joke or exhortation to purchase Superman comics.
    • Like x 1
  10. JohnnyDC Developer

I'll handle the typos on these, Penryn.
    See my notes below:

• S.T.A.R. Labs should always appear as you see it here, except in cases where it is part of the overhead naming or in certain UI Screens that have limited space. The inconsistency is by design to encourage easier readability and conserve space in certain areas of the UI.
      In dialogue, it should ALWAYS appear as "S.T.A.R. Labs".
    • The alleged "stranded" preposition isn't really a true grammatical error. They've been in used since long before English speakers knew to object to them. Most get their roots from the original Latin.
      You'll find them used by Chaucer, Milton, Shakespeare and even the King James Bible. The majority of Grammarians support it's usage.
  11. JohnnyDC Developer

• Like x 2
  12. JohnnyDC Developer

All joking aside, Johnny DC (All rights reserved) was the spokesperson for DC comics back in the Silver Age. He was the guy you see on my signature. When Ambush Bug got his first series, Johnny was replaced with Jonni DC who was a female character. She was also assigned as the official DC Continuity Policewoman. In actuality, Johnny DC took a really long vacation and then decided that he couldn't handle the DC comic continuity as a whole and instead took over policing the DCUO content instead. =)

And I hear you, I know there are quite a few bucks to be made from those comics... But just play along with Calculator's plan and I'm sure it'll be worth your effort. Besides the last person in the universe you want knowing you're not just some plucky anti-hero is Ambush Bug... He'll tell everyone!
    • Like x 1
  13. JohnnyDC Developer

Thank you for pointing this out! I will look into it!
    • Like x 1
  14. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Nice. Completely forgot about that one. Supermans very own Test Earth.

Apart from the whole wacky "Earth Q becoming sentient" though, didnt this only appear in All Star Superman? Ironically another story basically about the Death of Superman?
    • Like x 1
  15. JohnnyDC Developer

You are correct, Telos Usr.
    Not sure if it's still canon though. I'll have to hit the books and find out for you. I believe it is. But METAL and some other titles have recently shaken up the continuity again, so all bets are off.
  16. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Yeah, apart from being a great story Metal certainly opened the DC Universe up to more questions. Dont think we'll be getting the answers until JL No Justice ends either. Thankfully its in Snyders hands so should be good too.

On a side note though, during Trinity, when they were trapped in the Mercy plant and Mongul was talking about training his offspring in that "dream world", theres multiple iterations of Superman that Monguls/Ivy's "daughter" defeated. One of which if I remember correctly was All Star. Obviously none of the Supermen were really killed and it might have just been the artist having fun, but it also might be hinting at All Star existing.
    • Like x 1
  17. JohnnyDC Developer

Hey Penryn,

You mentioned that Ambush Bug didn't have any further interactions... Did you mean after you complete the mission and he gives you his final line?

Or that his final line about "pinching your cheeks" doesn't play?

Thanks!
  18. Penryn The Gadgeteer

After you complete the mission.

JackFrost mentioned this is being fixed in the next patch:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ropolis-open-world.295861/page-4#post-4124125
    • Like x 1
  19. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    Playing through the Villain version, I'm not really sure why I should even trust Calculator to make good on his word. Let's look at the last couple of episodes. Talia ended up betraying the Villains in the Riddled with Crime storyline. Lex Luthor went soft in Earth 3 and I ended up helping the Heroes yet again. Calculator has helped out Heroes on numerous occasions. I know it is usually based on the excuse of "working together to save the world." Still, why should I trust Calculator? The only thing he mentions to me is that I should continue playing the "Anti-Hero" and it will eventually be worth my while. You'd think Calculator would offer a generous bribe to keep me on payroll and not alert Lex Luthor to his actions. There was a reference in Captain Meredith's speech to being paid well. A few marks and consumables does not make for a suitable bribe.

I'm tired of being an "Anti-Hero" for hire. What happened to just being an evil Villain? After everything else I've seen from recent Villain storylines, I'd rather be the one trying to take over LexCorp.
  20. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    Here is another typo in the Villain subtitles on Researcher Eckhardt:
    [IMG]

"aquired"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.