A Chilly Guide to Everything Ice

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Radium, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Prosser Dedicated Player

Ah Cover Girl it was lol. Hmmmm maybe I should grab HL shield. From what I remember before I didn't use it cause it broke on 3 hits like a healer shield instead of total damage like a normal tank shield (we also still had BW though too). And this is my spotty memory we're talking about here. I did notice in another thread someone mentioned it was really good now so maybe they changed it. I do need to work on my tank gear more though, only 194 atm and it did seam like the healer would just stop healing at some points to so that wouldn't of helped. Of course I used to be able to shield through a bad healer :oops:

On another note, did you notice any issues with strafing when using bolder throw? Every time I summon the bolder, if I needed to re-position before I throw it and tried to strafe (usually right I think) it would send me straight forward (into the boss :mad:)
  2. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Having Ice Boulder during boss fights is ok, due to the high health of bosses. Also, if the raid boss is a huge targetable figure, and does not get blocked out by sidekicks and backups and teammates, then the projectile issue is nullified.

There is no need to do parsing to look at the feasibility of Ice Boulder. If you are competing with other proper dps who are quick to race to adds, quick on their rotations, Ice Boulder becomes a surefire dps loss. After the first rotation, while starting second rotation with Ice Boulder, every other dps/tank/healer is getting their shots in.

Frost Blast faces the same issue but at least it has the bigger damage at the end to compensate. Ice Boulder does not.

On adds, if you are using Ice Boulder, you might as well use Freezing Breath from the Iconic powers. Cos at least then, you are already getting your shots in.
  3. light FX Steadfast Player

Nah i didnt notice the strafing issue. But i wasnt moving all that much. I will try tonight and see.
  4. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

Does empowered channeling affect frost blast? Will it make it uninteruptable?
  5. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

It doesn't. There in lies the risk/reward.
  6. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

Ty....massive crits, but so freaking interuptable
    • Like x 1
  7. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

To make it crit 1000%, as you're doing it you have to say:

Ka...me...ha...me...ha. Or.... Hadooooooken.
    • Like x 2
  8. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

9. loupblanc Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  10. Bolt z Well-Known Player

It sucks to see this power go down like this, has anyone else found a Dps loadout that can keep up with the top tier powers?
    • Like x 1
  11. xD25x Dedicated Player

Ice had time to shine with its 1 button spam. Its now earths time for easy mode dpsing. But have no fear the all new dps gameplay changes are most likely already in the works!
    • Like x 1
  12. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I find Earth to be incredibly boring for DPS now. One of my friends switched from Ice to Rage just to have a more changes.
    • Like x 1
  13. L T Devoted Player

For Ice DPS, I've been using

Wintery Tempest - Cold Snap - Reflection - Frost Slam - Avalanche - Heat Vision/Freeze Breath(changes depending on mood and content)

Hybrid focus. Two-Handed weapon at the moment. Obviously, this is a melee-focused load out. When I can melee, I keep up pretty well.
  14. Schimaera Devoted Player

Heyo fellas,

I switched to Ice today since Rage has become boring to me. I was Rave for almost a year know (with a little break speccing to atomic in september) and I thought why the heck not?

I did a bit of testing today and want to share some loadouts with you. However, I wasn't really hardcore parsing in the last few months so I wanted to ask what's the standard in Ice max range parsing on three targets today? I just want to check first, if I'm on the right track before I share something stupid someone might adept and think Ice is too weak :D

And just to make it clear: I want to parse at max range AoE first to adapt a playstyle for Elite content. And I am not that comfortable being at close range unless I know how a power works. ^^

I am really thankful if you share a bit of input :)
  15. Davenport Committed Player

I recently made my first ice character. Any recommendations or tips? Does it work as a DPS or is tank better?

[IMG]
  16. iPLAYDC New Player

Bump
    Anyone got a pftt loadout suggestion?
  17. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

LT put up a loaduot. He is a couple threads above
    wintery tempest, cold snap, ice boulder , avalanche, artic gust and blizzard or elemental as sc. Experiment with any combination and find something that works for you. Ice is my favorite power. There may be a lot better load outs out there then what i put up
  18. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

Thought I'd share too.

I'm mostly using this loadout:
    Wintry Tempest, Avalanche, Arctic Gust, Frost Blast, Reflection, Blizzard.

Rotation is:
    Wintry Tempest clipped with Reflection - Frost Blast - Avalanche - Frost Blast - Avalanche - repeat.

It's ranged and works great for me, especially on bosses. Not so good on adds, though, they can die before I cast Frost Blast. Plus it's extremely vulnerable to interrupts and sometimes cooldowns can bug out. I haven't tested it with Empowered Channeling mod, can't tell if it works better with it.
    I wouldn't really advise it to folks with low cr/sp as it's very power-hungry on my low cr toon. My main with 32k power doesn't have any issues, though.

I don't really like Arctic Gust, but it can work as filler/on adds while waiting for Frost Blast/Avalanche. Depending on the mood and content I can replace it with Frost Snipe (good crits on single target), Ice Boulder Strike or Cold Snap in between FB and AV.
    So or so you can cancel AG, AV and FB by blocking if necessary.

Blizzard is my SC of choice, though I used to run with Deep Freeze for some time. Deep Freeze may have good damage IF it crits; Blizzard has higher damage potential due to being damage-over-time, but bosses can move out of its range.
    Freeze Ray doesn't seem good to me and I always hated Ice Elemental :D

Gotta love the versatility. Experiment and you'll find something that works for you.
    • Like x 1
  19. Harlequin Devoted Player

The cooldown on Frost Blast will bug out if you jump or block during the cast. You also need to be careful not to use an ability too soon after casting FB or the damage will not register.

Regarding trash damage, it helps a lot that you can move during the cast. If you time it right, mobs come into range just as the ability fires.
    • Like x 2
  20. Valka Lynx Dedicated Player

Yeah I know. But it still can rarely bug out even when I stand still and do nothing else. Same with Avalanche, for some reason it occasionally gets stuck in its cooldown or doesn't do a full cast, just throws one iceball and that's all, without any cancelling.

It's not a problem in the beginning of mobs fight. I start casting FB around the corner and move and the first cast hits them just right. Second cast, however, after Avalanche, is often too late. That's when Arctic Gust is more useful, when adds are low on health.