Devs, please give us Base-builders some love!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Zneeak, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Zneeak Devoted Player

- Increase the amount of base items you can place in a lair by whatever amount that is possible, same goes for league halls.

- More lair themes in the Marketplace. You may or may not think that the existing themes haven't generated much revenue, but imagine new and more iconic themes like the popular suggestion of a Kryptonian-themed lair. Out of all the Superman fans in the game, who wouldn't want their lair to look like their own fortress of solitude by lair design alone? There are dozens of other lair themes aswell that would look visually stunning and have good potential for revenue.

- Amenities, would it be possible to make it so that you can place amenities in any spot other than the selected purple ones? This would be an awesome QoL-change for Base building if possible.

There is more to add, but these are some of the top priority things on my wishlist that I can think of.
    • Like x 18
  2. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Thumbs up for placing Amenities wherever we want.

Oan/Quard themed ones are also well requested venues.
    • Like x 9
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

It wasn't a question of may or may not have generated much revenue. Spytle came straight out and said they weren't doing well at all...which is why they stopped producing them long ago. I seriously doubt much has changed since then, and since they're not likely to budge from their asking price (which is what would help them recoup their investment), I don't see this particular request getting much traction.

I'm 100% behind you on the other suggestions...especially for the league halls. We just got those fantastic Theater base items, and my leaguemate set up a theater room...but because of the limit, the area looks empty...it's pretty sad really.
    • Like x 3
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

You know if they actually gave bases more attention, such as new layouts and what not, I'm sure people's interest in themes would rise. This is just one of many examples of "it's not doing so hot, oh well just give up on it" that I hate soooo much
    • Like x 10
  5. krytine Loyal Player

Absolutely
    Increase items for league halls let us move those amenities around and smooth out the walls more behind the teleporters. So we could atleast problems on those spaces .Maybe let us go into the outside areas that we see and put a weekly mission console in the halls for extra prestige
    • Like x 3
  6. Zneeak Devoted Player

^ This. What Khalon said is easily countered by the very example of suggestion I put in there. Generic cave may not have generated a hundred gazillions and NO lair theme will ever generate any super-mega amount of revenue, but make an iconic theme with an iconic layout and nice, visual design that will draw enough attention to fanboys and you may find that Lair theme to be a complete hit.

You can't expect every single aspect of the game to generate as much revenue as the top seller-items in the game. Giving various aspects of the game some attention will however give you the potential of more allround-revenue more so than "meh, it won't give us multi gazillions, let's scrap it". That's how you more likely will find yourself out of business later on. ;)
    • Like x 2
  7. majosea Dedicated Player

I think there should a theme for every lantern color ,. or make the theme tintable that way no lantern is left out
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  8. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Strange Idea...

As a Legendary member you get 500 Station Cash per month. Added to this you get an account bound Deed Token.

4 Deed Tokens = New Lair Theme.
    6 Deed Tokens = New League Hall Theme.

When a new theme is released, those Legendary members who were subscribed the previous 4 or 6 continual months get the Deed on day one for FREE.

This could spur the interest of F2P/Premium members to subscribe at least for a short time in order to get the Oan/Qward Lair. (Or whatever new theme they decide to release.)

But wait...if you are continually a Legendary Member, what the hell, those Deed Tokens are worthless. Right?...

12 Deed Tokens can be used to buy 6,000 Quarks. (Hmmm...wonder why that number sounds familiar.)
  9. Knarlydude Loyal Player

It wasn't a question of may or may not have generated much revenue. Spytle came straight out and said they weren't doing well at all...which is why they stopped producing them long ago. We all know what he did and DCUO has been trying to fix that mess for a while. What he said then has zero bearing on what happens today.
    I seriously doubt much has changed since then, and since they're not likely to budge from their asking price (which is what would help them recoup their investment), DCUO has already recouped the time & money for the bases a long time ago. The bases did not do well because the price point was off.

I don't see this particular request getting much traction. Don't be surprised when you see some new base themes. We all know that style items sell better and are more cost effective to produce than anything else in the game. Time Capsules are a prime example.

I'm 100% behind you on the other suggestions...especially for the league halls. We just got those fantastic Theater base items, and my leaguemate set up a theater room...but because of the limit, the area looks empty...it's pretty sad really. The league halls do need some luvin.
    • Like x 1
  10. majosea Dedicated Player

the reason bases did'n make that much revenue . because its not iconic
    players love iconic styles ., why not have iconic theme bases and iconic base items included to make theme
    worth buying . for ex a central power battery that is tintable to the a lantern theme in also tintable -= profit

stuff like that , there more ideas than just one
    • Like x 1
  11. Knarlydude Loyal Player

How many of the materials in the TC's were iconic?
    How many auras in the booster bundles were iconic?
    Being iconic has little or no bearing on the items that sell if they are the right price point for your customers.
    That Bat cowl was a huge flop when it came out was it not.
  12. majosea Dedicated Player

[IMG] ok, if you say so
  13. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Don't get me wrong. I understand people love iconics. The Price has to be right or things will not sell.

ALSO, the styles need to appeal to more that just iconic lovers because whether we want to admit it or not they are a number of people here that love Marvel and other comics too and not trying to appeal to those customers is a big mistake.

IMO, The best thing DCUO could do with any iconic themes (any iconic style ) is to make sure the styles are more generic and not covered with SUPES, WW, FLASH, BAT & or any other iconic symbols. Take for example a fortress of solitude base theme. I really like that style & it would be awesome. I have a couple toons that would use it. but........
    If the S was plastered all over it I would not buy it unless it was dirt cheap and even then it would depend on how many EL's were plastered within the theme.
    Me personnally I like some of the iconic styles but I hate that they have the EL, FLASH or BAT on them. I really cannot to wear the items because of the symbols that cannot be removed. I really like the bat style that was given out and it would really fit with one of the feline characters that I made but I cannot use it because of the stinking bat plastered on the chest.

Here is another example with the new / old bat suit that was given away.
    This style would fit more than just a bat with that symbol removed from the chest. The same goes for other iconic styles with symbols. DCUO needs to make styles even if iconic that can be used by more than DC fans.
    [IMG]

Remove that bat from the chest / belt & make it so that you can add other symbols there and you have a style that is not only iconic but can also be anything else players want to make it. That would be a pretty cool looking Lantern, EL suit or Ironman knock off suit if we could change the symbol on the chest. With the bat there....meh its another almost useless batsuit. It just sits in most players inventory taking up space.
    That same idea also applies toward iconic themed bases. Make iconic styles more generic with the ability to make them 100% iconic or something that the players can invision. DCUO is the only real Super hero/ bad guy game out worth playing and they need to take full advantage of that. Doing anything less is selling themselves short.
    • Like x 1
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

There have been quite a few requests for different layout types, despite the fact that we've been told that it wouldn't be compatible with the current layout system. And as I said, they weren't selling well enough to deem them worthy of continuing. Now you're asking them to invest in something with no guarantee it'll do well, and although you didn't say so specifically others might say to make the price "reasonable" (even though they were never unreasonably priced for what they are)....that's basically a recipe for a non-starter right there. But if you manage to convince them to do it...bravo...i'll be one of the first ones lined up with my wallet out (I bought every other lair theme at full price with ZERO complaints about the price tag).
  15. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Only in your mind does it have zero bearing on what happens today. If you were right, they would have already started making new lair themes, or brought back many of the things that were started and then abandoned.

Sure, over time...if they even continued selling. If they had recouped their investments during the time they were actively producing Lair Themes, they would have deemed them a success and they would have continued with them. History tells us the opposite happened.

Considering how they haven't budged on re-introducing new Lair themes despite the requests that past few years, i'd be very surprised to see a new one introduced. As you say, styles items are more cost effective to produce...so I can easily see them possibly doing themed base item packs like they did for Batman & the Flash. That's a much more realistic request/expectation.

No arguments here...that's just a straight up fact.
  16. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I forgot where I saw it, but I did see them say recently that they want to work on bases this year. Whether that means new themes, layouts, or what not who knows, but I know for sure it was stated somewhere (need to beat my memory up a little to remember where I saw it). So perhaps they are willing to invest into blind hope.

Edit: now I remember, it was in the paradox time capsule stream before it started and people were discussing things in the comments, it was stated they wanted to do more with bases, cause right after I said I hope that includes more themes, then Oceans came in and said "I'd love to work on more themes." Whether that was a tease or not, is to be determined
    • Like x 2
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Ok...sure, DCUO may want to appeal to those customers, but they SERIOUSLY cannot do so in a manner that infringes on other comapnies Intellectual Property. Now, i know you'll immediately respond with "but what about all of the Hulk/Wolverine/Iron-Man/Deadpool wannabes running around in game". It happens in all games that give you the freedom to customize your characters and have the assets to make copy cat looks possible. DCUO doesn't actively encourage that, nor does it show support beyond allowing people to post their results in that one forum thread. Trying to encourage DCUO to make it even easier to do what players already do is just BEGGING to get the Legal Department to put the kibosh on what little freedom we have in that regard.
  18. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Ok cool...I hope it doesn't become another vapor dream like so many things that they've teased. Although something tells me that any new lair themes will probably retain the same layout we currently use (compatible with Lair Battles). If i'm wrong i'll happily take that L, and then skip on down to the marketplace to buy buy buy.
  19. Zneeak Devoted Player

Welcome to business lol. You can't just halfass something and expect a full payload out of it without actually putting some proper work and investment to it. In cases like that, "it wasn't selling enough" isn't an acceptable excuse. Like I said, if they start delivering iconic lair themes I'm pretty sure a lot of fanboys/girls will find those appealing enough to purchase them compared to the old Lair themes.

The key is to actually invest in it and properly deliver a product worthy of its price. To me the actual layout could be the same as the old lair layout, as long as the new lair theme would be more visually appealing and well designed. For example, the pillars in a Kryptonian themed lair could be properly detailed with that kryptonian, icy look. The otherwise very generic windows in each lair would be kryptonian-themed windows that could have an actual view of the fortress of solitude or something similar. Things like that would completely change the feel of the layout even if it's technically the same as the older ones.

To not invest in stuff like this where so many people in the community are willing to spend cash on cosmetics, would be a mistake.
    • Like x 3
  20. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I know what you are saying about intellectual properties but now you're just trying to make excuses. DCUO would not be encouraging anything by making styles more generic as a whole, and, besides, I did not say do anything in a manner that would be directly copying Marvel. I said it would be a mistake not attempting to better appeal to these players.

By using your type of thinking & assumptions DCUO having an X or a 4 in our emblems should be off limits because it might cause issues. We've had those forever. Maybe we should take HB out because Ironman uses them too. IMO, it would be a bad idea because it is too generic of an idea to try to make that stretch. The same goes for the one handed hammer. Should DCUO not have used it because Thor has one?

[IMG]
    Should DCUO remove the Mayan head piece because it looks too much like Galactus head piece?
    [IMG]

Take for example, If Players want to make a Hanna-Barberra character. They do not want a Batman or Superman logo on it. They want to make it look like the characters they want.

TBH, there have been too many people that have jumped back & fourth from DC to Marvel & Marvel to DC. They both have been using each others ideas since they have been competing against each other because they have been sharing the same people.
    Here are three artists that have worked for DC & marvel off the top of my head.

Steve Ditko
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ditko
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Characters_created_by_Steve_Ditko

Jack Kirby
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_...iki/Category:Characters_created_by_Jack_Kirby

Jim Lee
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Lee

Here are some group examples from both comics.
    Doom Patrol
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_Patrol

[IMG]

X-menhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men

[IMG]

Here are some individual examples

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Just because its possible to make SwampThing and name it ManThing or make a character that looks like Timber Wolf and calling him Wolverine doesn't mean DCUO encouraged anything. DCUO has no controll over that except for adding the name Woverine, ManThing or X-men to the censor list.