Dear Development team, why are you guys being so slient as of late?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jacob Dragonhunter, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

so....there will be no serums then? aw man :(
  2. Mosquito_1 Well-Known Player

Unless they decide they all of the sudden have the resources for it...
    And the system supports it..no.

Considering the PS3 dropped..it may make a comeback if enough people ask for it...but, they first have to address a declining community..they just dont release free legendary for no reason..especially targeting a certain timeframe.

They know why there is a decline...and free legendary for a couple of weeks isnt going to reverse the damage done..

They were warned..and there have been several posts made to help to reverse the decline as well.
  3. Physique Dedicated Player

There's a lot going on behind the scenes. First, the company had to seriously look at readjusting their dev plans once PlayStation notified them that third-party PS3 support was going away. The decision to end support for the PS3 platform was not Daybreak's alone to make so once the official word came down from SCE, a reassessment and reordering of development assets needed to be determined and then implemented.

A quick look at their jobs site shows that a lot of senior development positions are looking to be filled along with at least one senior leadership position as well as an executive position. Without those positioned filled, being able to fully disclose where DCUO is headed in 2018 will likely take more time and be scaled back to only those projects which are already set into motion. To that end, communication externally is being curtailed (along with whatever life challenged and illnesses which may have affected Mepps) until the internal communication is firmed up.

As with many other members of this community, I voiced some annoyance with lack of communication regarding time capsules, anniversary gifts, et al, but given what appears to be a major shakeup (whether that be departures or further invested expansion of the Austin studio) means that somethings will slide.
    • Like x 4
  4. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

what a bummer i was really looking forward to it oh well

[IMG]
  5. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Wait. Are you saying puppies are sick?
    [IMG]

You're a cat lover? Or a bat lover?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  6. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

The did tell you, right in the fine print. They rarely ever announce the anniversary gifts early, because most of them have been on holiday.

Mepps was sick. Who cares why there was no anniversary live stream, we all got our free gifts.

There you go.
    • Like x 3
  7. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Silence is silver.
    • Like x 2
  8. Proxystar #Perception

1. They didn't have to give any free membership away you might not like the deadline, the deadline might not have been fair to some people but it was entirely their choice not yours; they owe you no explanation.

2. What they choose to livestream is up to them, you're not entitled to livestreams, anniversary or otherwise. If they choose to cancel they owe you no explanation other than to say they're canceling.

There's your answers to the clear expression of misplaced entitlement outlaid within your post. You're welcome ;)
    • Like x 1
  9. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

So basically you're whole shtick is that I have to suck it up and not make threads regarding my concern from the lack of dev activity? is that what you're saying?

It's funny to me how you're trying to tell me that I'm owed no explanation, that I'm self entitled. No If anything, I've expressed my concern and asked why they've been so silent with the community, yet here you are doing nothing but trying to answer for them; when it's not even your job as a player to answer for the developers.

Are you a developer? No.
    Are you a moderator? No.

I appreciate your trying to answer my questions, but did I say Dear Proxystar? No. I said Dear Developers, so with that said; let them answer my questions. Stop trying to answer my questions for them, you're just a player like everyone else.

If the developers wanna answer my question, that's their choice.

If the developers don't wanna answer my question, that's their choice too. Like I said in my last post, I wanna hear from a developer; not from a regular player who's trying his hardest to shut down my thread.
    • Like x 2
  10. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Seems the devs are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they announce things people complain. If they don't announce things people complain. This isn't directed at you specifically, Jacob, but more the community in general. The truth of the matter is that no matter what the devs do, they will never satisfy everyone. Aiming to satiate everyone is an impossible task. That being said...Mepps did say that they're "holding [their] forward-looking announcements for a bit longer" (as you can see in the link below). I know that you're not specifically talking about the usual "what's coming up this year!" announcement, more about communication in general, but I think December/January is usually pretty quiet around here anyways because of holidays and, as someone else mentioned, the inevitable illnesses that go hand in hand with the Winter and working in an environment where everyone is in contact with a lot of people every day, leading to illnesses spreading.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...r-2018-no-thats-not-okay.293801/#post-4079642

Overall, this isn't really anything new. We've gone through bouts of silence and bouts of lots of communication before, and we likely will again many times in the future.
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

With due respect,

Go look at the staff post checker. The interaction is there, so your whole thread is misplaced. They're not absent at all they're just choosing not to respond to people upset about the free gifts they did or didn't get.

That's probably the reason they had to lock that anniversary thread.

You know I partly feel sorry for them. Sure we don't all agree with everything in game and knock heads with the devs but then they try do something genuinely nice and all they get is salt and shade.

If you're upset about the gifts keep it to yourself they don't need your threads amounting to what's just an attempt to throw it back in their face.

That might notbe a dev response for you but it sure is a common sense opinion ;)
    • Like x 2
  12. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I can understand people complain alot and stuff, but if they don't announce stuff and just do random decisions all the time, then dare I ask: what's the point of even being on the forums?

For Instance: The October 31st Deadline for the 20 days of Membership. Okay, how was anyone supposed to know that their sub had to end at October 31st for them to be Eligible for that? There was no announcement, no twitter posts, no YT videos; basically nothing that letted players know ahead of time that this was going to happen. This was a last minute made decision and basically when the Anniversary 2018 gifts were announced, everyone that subbed post October 31st basically lost out on some nice additional items because they supported the game further. That's not right at all.

They also made the decision of Not Doing a Yearly Live-stream. Again, there was no heads-up about this until Lord Jareth made a thread about it.

Then there was also the Stuff that Got Leaked when it shouldn't have been: The Emblems, and then The Paradox Time Capsule. Which to me is concerning; that's implying to me they're making these decisions without notifiying players, and furthermore It's concerning when a Time Capsule Stream happens but an An Anniversary Stream(Which usually tells everyone the 2018 news) doesn't.

Right now, I have no idea what their priorities are; and yes, I acknowledge the players complain for just about everything. But isn't the point of the forums to submit feedback, both negative and positive? I'm not entitled; some players are right. But however, I'm concerned about the direction the game's heading in, It feels like there's more decisions being made behind the scenes that we don't know about and can't respond to. And I'm not the only one who's said it, there's been others on here too that've noticed the developers have been very quiet as of late. Considering the really only active developer that's been on the forums is Megzilla, then yeah I'm going to be concerned about it and I'm going to make a thread asking why they've been so quiet.

At the end of the day: I've asked for the developers to respond, a whole lot of forum wanna-be moderators(Not Targeted at you) are trying to answer my questions for the developers in a vast attempt to shut my thread down. That's not okay, and it's not what the forums are meant for.
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Seriously listen to yourself for a moment. You're upset they didn't tell you when to stop paying to play to ensure you'd get there free gift. Are you serious? I mean I'm sorry but that is just a joke it really is.
    • Like x 3
  14. Mosquito_1 Well-Known Player

I get what you are saying..but..the free legendary wasn't meant to be a gift..they acknowledged a decline in either accounts logged in..a decline in resub..or both. That is why it was targeted for a certain timeframe and wasnt meant to be some random reward.

I was one of them that got it(still havent used it)...and still wont change my mind..or resub..along with several others that went before, or followed suit...until the changes are made.
  15. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Sorry Jacob but the whole thing about October 31st being the cut off date is not a new thing. Every single time that they have given yearly member rewards in the past (such as Servo, Tom-Bot etc., not stuff like posters and statues to tie in with comic/movie events) or free membership to past members the cut-off date was always before the actual announcement. Granted the cut off date was usually about two weeks before the announcement, but the point still stands - they have never announced an upcoming gift such as this one before the cut-off date to the best of my knowledge.

As for the leaks - again, not the first time it has happened and certainly won't be the last. To me it seems like the TC went live early. It probably wasn't supposed to hit until the 11th, but went live with the restarts on the 10th instead. This is just me guessing of course, but it seemed like Mepps wasn't prepared for the TC to hit on the 10th. That may have been down to miscommunication within the office - something we're not privy to knowing about.

You're perfectly entitled to be concerned if you see things going a certain way, but at the same time you're also perfectly entitled to PM a dev about it rather than making a public thread (which, of course you are entitled to make too). It just seems to me that if you want to address the devs specifically, doing it in a public forum may not be the best way to go about it because the majority of the responses you will get will be from players.
    • Like x 2
  16. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

How about you listen and actually walk a mile in someone else's shoes for a minute?

And since we're playing the whole listen to yourself game, I'll point out what's wrong.

"You're upset that they didn't tell you when to stop paying to ensure you'd get there free gift"

Yes on one hand, it's a gift: It's something I'm not entitled to and something that would've been nice to have.

On the Other Hand: Let's look at the sentence? I didn't get that gift because I was paying for a subscription...

I didn't get that gift because I continued to give support to their game post October.. In Other Words: It felt like a Punishment because I subscribed post October.

So you're telling me: I could've not supported their game, got Legendary Free, and Saved myself 15 bucks? And you're completely okay with that?

Granted that's another topic for another day, I digress: It's not the Gift that's made me upset, It's more or less these decisions that they've been doing. They've made the deadline October 31st without anyone knowing prior. They decided to make a Time Capsule Stream but no Anniversary Stream.

They said they would give us 2018 news, but none of that's happened yet.

And everyone else again, has pointed out that they've been completely slient as of late. I just want an idea, a Visual Grip of what's going on around here and what they have planned up for the game. I'm concerned about the fact that stuff's been leaked, I'm concerned about the fact that A Time Capsule Stream took priority over an Anniversary Stream(They normally do these things every year.) And they are doing decisions behind the scenes that nobody knows about.

TL;DR: I'm worried about the Lack of Communication as of late. If you look at the Staff Post Tracker: The Developer that's been the most active is Megzilla. I just don't like the fact we've lost #AskDCUO, we've haven't heard alot from the development team outside of Megzilla, and right now It feels like Time Capsules are taking priority instead of the big news that's supposed to hit for 2018.

Again, I'm not upset like you're claiming, I'm worried about the direction that the communication's been taking between the developers and players like it feels like it's not been there as of late.

I stated exactly what I was concerned about directly in my First Post of this thread, but you skimmed over it and claimed it as baseless conjecture. If I have questions, I would like for them to be answered.
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Megzilla hasn't been here as long as some of the others...and she's going above and beyond because people are showing a passion for the work she does (styles), and so far, people have been respectful towards her. There are a few people who are very demanding, and given enough time, might push her away from interacting with us. Time will tell.

Why??? Because pushy, demanding, over-entitled players want to dictate how the company should do things at every turn, even when those "suggestions" would result in making things worse and possibly ending the game sooner than it should. Why??? Because people on these forums don't seem to know how to hold civil discourse without resorting to insults or disrespectful comments, then turn around and wonder why they go radio silent.

You may not hear much about the developers of other games because they don't really communicate much with their playerbase. If there's not much of a relationship, there's very little to complain about.

By the way, anyone asking "why don't the devs listen" are asking the wrong question. The Devs listen...they have proven this time and time again (and seriously, wouldn't YOU be tired of having to prove the same thing over and over again). What the Devs DON'T do is give in to every player demand. We the players have been given the privilege of giving them feedback, but we are not entitled to have every demand met. That's not how this works...but people don't want to accept that and then get upset about it.

The OP of this thread doesn't think so, otherwise he wouldn't have felt compelled to start this thread. The only thing that can fix this relationship is for people to adjust their expectations. The Devs aren't going to answer everything, especially when people come out angry and in some cases rude, or with the hubris to think they know better than they do.

In regards to snarky comments, if players tried keeping themselves in check, we might see better responses.

Do you really want to go the point where all they have is a website with information about what's coming tomorrow and nothing more??? Do you really believe that just because there are a few rotten apples that we should all suffer by not having this 2-way communication outlet with them??? That's a terrible thought to have.
    • Like x 2
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Give it a week.
  19. Proxystar #Perception

This is my opinion on it.

I'm still subbed. I didn't get free sub time, am I upset about it. Of course not I sub to play because I enjoy too.

You're upset because you continued to support the game not knowing the future and that resulted in you not getting the gift so you feel hard done by...

If you had known you'd have canceled your sub ripped support to ensure the free gift... but you somehow still claim to support the game when you're prepared to rip your support at any moment and then get incensed when they don't tell you and you get all bitter for having in your words "accidentally supported" the game because had you know you wouldn't have.

I mean what's sad in my view is the fact you can't see it. It's like you want to be rewarded for canceling your sub rather than keeping it up.

You'd have been better off saying "could we not all have got a bit of free time" but instead you're here angry you weren't told to cancel.

I'm sorry but that's so far out of reality you may as well be off on oa living with puff the magic will dragon. It's just crazy!
    • Like x 3
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

But when Mepps does that people get mad because he doesn't say "we'll get right on it". And then they inundate him with a ton of questions, more requests and demands.

Sometimes it's just easier to read, take notes, and let the people in charge discuss things...and until there's a definitive answer, say nothing. Too many times they've mentioned wanting to do something, but because of some internal decisions, they couldn't...and then the pitchforks come out.
    • Like x 2