Gold spammers auto-banning [need data]

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Doc.Doom15, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

I've posted some messages about how easy it is to filter out gold spammers which resulted in a lot replies that it is a game of whack-a-mole and impossible to implement. So I've taken up the challenge to write a filter that can detect gold spammers automatically without fail (excluding actual LFG messages & links to useful websites). Since we don't want gold spammer to be advertised on this forum, I'd like everyone that sees a gold spammer message to copy the exact message and PM it to me. I will document the time it will take me to automatically detect all of those messages and post an online Excel sheet where you can try it out for yourself and see if the message (or any combination you can think of) will get blocked, or accepted. Hope to see a lot of inputs from you all! ETA for this fun project is 05.11.2017 (if I get enough input that is but will still aim to have something up by then).
  2. High Troller Loyal Player

So with this input, you plan to submit this filter to the system developers? Or is there a backdoor to allow scripts on the pc version?

I'm just used to placing them on ignore.

May 11th already passed already as well. Perhaps we can use the Time Sphere in Ripped in Time.
    • Like x 2
  3. StealthBlue Loyal Player

They could be from somewhere that uses the format day. Month. Year. So they mean 5th of November 2017.
    • Like x 1
  4. mr maartie Level 30

Pretty sure he meant november 5th, just sayin
  5. Tekwash Level 30

Go to pvp phase, I never see spammers there
    • Like x 1
  6. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Pointless, thread is pointless.

They already tried Blocking out the gold spammers message before, if you paid attention. Back then they could endlessly spam it, now they have to space it out.

You can go ahead and try submitting this to the developers, but If the Gold Spammers are smart enough to get around one fliter that the developers already tried implementing; they'll easily alter their spam message again to avoid your script.
    • Like x 1
  7. David Ivanenko Committed Player

So pretty much from most countries in the world, lol.
    The only countries that only use the weird MMDDYYYY format are USA, Micronesia and Marshall Islands.
    • Like x 1
  8. krytine Loyal Player

Us military goes day month year just adding to the powerlessness
  9. nawanda Loyal Player

Even if this idea goes nowhere, the guy from the US wrongly 'correcting' someone for the way they have abbreviated the date, with botched sarcasm, makes this a memorable thread. I bet he's one of the 64% of Americans who have never left the US.
  10. StealthBlue Loyal Player

You don't even need to leave the US to run into this though. The company I work for uses it, though the date above would be shown 05-NOV-2017 to avoid any confusion.
  11. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

So what? Why the need to leave the US? A lot of people have never seen the entirety of this country, me included, however I've seen a lot of it(I've also been to England). I love people who mock this country and yet more and more people pour into it every day, many illegally. The US sucks so bad that some strap innertubes to shotty plywood and brave shark infested waters in hopes of hitting Key West.
    • Like x 1
  12. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

• Like x 1
  13. Apollodarkblade21 Well-Known Player

Or just a thought return the game to subscription based that way it gets rid of the gold spammers and the people who just stand around crying til someone gives them a free aura? The gold bots don’t bother me nearly as much as the spammers begging for things.

This option prevents an accidental banning because someone types the wrong combo of letters or responds to fast to chat and is flagged for spam.

A great time to return to this is January 31st when ps3 goes down.
    • Like x 1
  14. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

I just build this because people were saying it's too hard to block them because the spammers can come up with different combinations and it would take a lot of effort to permanently try to block them. I've only tested it for about 10 minutes today as I didn't have a lot of time so there probably will be some incorrect detections but it seems to catch all existing combinations and most 'new' combinations I could come up with. An easy additional check that could be build in to not catch 'accidental' gold spam messages is to only block/ban players on the 3rd same exact message. I was just tired of people saying that this is hard to filter/code. It's just not, took me 30 minutes so how is that hard? It was just implement poorly. And to adapt to the new flavor of spam would take literally 30 seconds per day to adjust the keywords (but again, I've set this up so that many 'new' combinations are automatically picked up without any human interaction).

EDIT: I actually just thought of a way to make the current detection process more efficient with a close to 100% success rate to only block the gold spammers and not have 'accidental' detections. Will update the sheet tomorrow.
  15. Apollodarkblade21 Well-Known Player

Late response I know but I’m not knocking your system at all I think anyone using their free time to provide ideas to better the game is great. I suggested the sub only as a way to either eliminate the spammers or make them pay and support the game so either way it’s a win.
    • Like x 1
  16. MastaMind Dedicated Player

Someone pointed out that gold spammers always accept duel invites. This turned out to be very true. I am hoping that before any groundbreaking banning systems come into play that I can finish these up. Just one or two more sessions should do it. K TNX.
  17. the solowing Steadfast Player

subscription based games have that problem too ya know xD
    [IMG]
  18. the solowing Steadfast Player

Personally id say, allow for a in-game report feature for spammer bots that will silence a bots ability to use the chat channels *and place on ignore* if that character is reported a predetermined amount within a span of time (tells can still be sent, but not any public chat channels), until a manual review is done. If the feature is abused..(we all know a few will) then the false claimers will be suspended for a specific amount of time. The option should be placed within the typical player options once you click their name.
  19. Ant Tao Well-Known Player

My theory: Daybreak creates gold spamming accounts. You're going to need millions to buy RNG time capsule items, so we'll sell the millions too.
  20. Apollodarkblade21 Well-Known Player

That’s right they do but with a subscription only those gold bots would be paying $15 a month to spam so they are supporting the game. With dcuo it doesn’t cost them anything to make an account and spam so they are just taking up server space that those with legendary(or anyone who spends money on the game any other way) is paying for.