What happened to the bad luck limiter?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by StealthBlue, Nov 3, 2017.

1. StealthBlue Loyal Player

To jog everyone's memory, the bad luck limiter was introduced when the best gear was drops. It basically kept track of the number of gear drops you saw without a rare drop, and after you passed a certain point, started increasing your luck until you got a rare drop.

Could something like this be applied to OP collections? How about the rare collections in the TC collectors capsules? I'm sure there are other luck based things in the game that could benefit from this.
    • Like x 9
  2. BumblingB I got better.

It went away with vendor gear being best gear.
    • Like x 5
  3. Zneeak Devoted Player

I agree completely. We still depend on drops for progression, especially with multiple OP pieces per large episode. It only makes sense to reimplement the bad luck limiter with this current mess.
    • Like x 3
  4. Harlequin Devoted Player

Your bad luck can be mitigated by liberal usage of replay badges. Happy farming!
    • Like x 5
  5. StealthBlue Loyal Player

I believe it's still active in HOP2 through the episode before AF3. At least until they get around to adjusting all tiers so best gear is on the vendor.

But why let a good idea die? This game is plagued with bad RNG, and the bad luck limiter was helpful, even if it did have a few flaws to work on (it needed to be episode or even instance specific).

We don't yet know OP collection drop rates for episode 30, they are supposedly better but could still be bad. This could help if drops are still bad. It may be too late to add in for the launch of this episode, but maybe it's something that could be added.
  6. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Systems designed to help problematic RNG, which don't look to remove random chance from the equation, never work at improving the situation. In almost every case in DCUO's history, whenever a system has been added to help deal with RNG, it's been a red herring that never resulted in a positive outcome.

In the case of the bad luck limiter, all it did was guarantee you'd eventually see a purple drop if you ever ended up in a situation which only ever applied to 10% of players. It didn't actually fix anything. People were still complaining of missing certain pieces as drop rates on certain pieces were bad in comparison to other pieces.

The same thing would happen if provisions were taken with the Omnipotent collections. The drop rates would be adjusted in certain pieces to accommodate the fact that a system was in place to guarantee an eventual OP collection. This would lead to a similar situation now, where certain pieces are ultra rare and other pieces would become more common so that they're more likely to be chosen when the bad luck limiter kicks in.

If you hate RNG, it's always best to come up with and support ideas that bypass the RNG all together. Such as getting the best gear (excluding Omnipotent gear) in a vendor and R&D Omnipotent Items.
    • Like x 1
  7. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

this^^^^^ this is why you have crap luck. the all mighty replay's.....

as for the op drops. this should be a thing. the luck limiter. as for the TC'S it will NEVER HAPPEN.
  8. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

I have not got the rare drop for the OP hands yet. lol yet. ILL NEVER GET THE DROP. I NEVER DO. I don't spend the replays. don't buy them. that's why I never get the drops.

and now, were going to get even more drops ILL NEVER GET. woo-hoo...
  9. StealthBlue Loyal Player

The problem is, RNG will exist in some fashion in some part of the game that affects progression. Take the Starro OP crafting system, the components were all RNG and some players never saw certain components.

Another suggestion would be to look at how their random values are determined and see if there is anything inherently flawed with it. Are there things that affect it currently that shouldn't? If RNG is based per character and the game looks up the characters current seed value in a table for random values, you would expect have good luck some times and bad luck others, instead consistent bad peaking at average luck. There could be a character and a time component to the RNG system in DCUO. But that wouldn't explain why some characters are constantly lucky and others are constantly unlucky.

From the probably side of things, you could in theory have someone get an OP item (or even two apparently) from every boss on every run, and someone else that doesn't ever get one after running 100,000,000,000 instances (and having the feat of course). From the developer side of things it makes sense to prevent the later from getting too that point, because no one would actually run that and it would only server to alienate and drive away some of your customers (that may have been someone willing to spend money on the game). You may actually want to limit the first one as well. Basically, if you've ever seen a bell curve, that's what good distribution should look like. The Devs would have to decide how much bad luck and how much good luck they want to block (so how much of the left and right of the curve they "chop off"), and everyone will be somewhere in between. So in practice, rare drops would be no more frequent than x drops and be seen at least every y drops.

Right now there's no guaranteed end to a dry spell, while others get drop after drop (or even double drops).
  10. BumblingB I got better.

Sorry, the addition to content went away, but it is still there.

The reason they added it was because players weren't able to progress with the RNG loot aspect. So with RNG not in the content for best gear, it isn't needed. Could they add it to other things? Maybe, but there really isn't a point. OP collections are supposed to be a RNG grind.
    • Like x 1
  11. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Could they apply a bad luck limiter on those things??? Yes. Will they? No. Why??? Because RNGesus is life. All praise RNGesus. Don't forget to pay your tithe. But jokes aside, RNG is a staple of these types of games, it certainly has been for this game since day one. We finally got back to how things should've stayed, best gear in vendor (instead of praying to RNGesus to get the drops we need), there was never any hints or promises that all RNG would go away. If your luck is bad when it comes to collections, get good at making money and rely on those who have had better luck (and/or a bigger wallet).
    • Like x 1
  12. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Except you don't NEED the OP gear to progress (you only really NEED them to get the feat points from them). Very huge difference, and the reason for why the drop rates are the way they are.
    • Like x 1
  13. Zneeak Devoted Player

Extremely flawed logic and so, so played out.... The stats on an OP item severely beats the minimal gain you get out of the featpoints associated with them. OP items are progression no matter how you try to twist it, and is the reason the droprates are so terrible. It doesn't need explaining why this have to change.
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I never said it wasn't progression, I said it wasn't necessary to progress. There's a difference. Episode 30 requires us to be cr207 to get into the end game versions of the content. You don't need any of the OP pieces to achieve cr207. You do NEED the vendor gear to hit that number. OP items have always been chase gear with progression stats, but they were never necessary to move forward, therefore you cannot equate with vendor gear (or drop gear in the past).
    • Like x 2
  15. Zneeak Devoted Player

You don't decide what is necessary or needed. Heck, if the counter-argument is always going to be a played out excuse like "but you don't NEED it", they might aswell stop introducing new OP items all together. :rolleyes: There is no doubt at all that OP items make a pretty noticable difference in stats when they keep releasing as many as they have. The terrible droprate is an issue that they have to deal with sooner or later.
  16. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Agree Khalo, it's not a necessity to complete content. Hardcore grinders will go after it but it doesn't mean everyone needs it to complete instances.
    • Like x 2
  17. light FX Steadfast Player

Edit: There is more RNG in the game since the best gear was added to the vendor. So imo and many others the "best gear" being on a vendor didnt really solve anything especially when the RNG was moved to other areas such as TCs. And the vendor gear isnt even the best gear, OP gear is. Btw the starro OP items had tons of RNG. 6 different components to craft those OP items were linked to RNG.

Im also gonna agree with someone else who mentioned how bad OP collection drop rates can be and how the excuse always is u dont need it. Its progression but isnt needed. Then why exactly is it there? Yea i dont need to say why cause we all know the answer. People praise these systems all in the name of daybreak relying on hardcore players to chase these items by either spending money or a tiny % of them that simply gets lucky. Im pretty sure there is a better system out there then this.
    • Like x 1
  18. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I think it's ludicrous to say "the best gear being on a vendor didn't really solve anything". It resolved many things, including taking away the paid for advantage of those who spent money on having more opportunities at the best gear than those who didn't pay to unlock. I don't think anyone who understands the changes would disagree that this is a bad thing. That's just 1 example of a benefit that moving the best gear into a vendor created.

Sure, more RNG centric systems have popped up in the wake of best gear in the vendor, but off the top of my head, each and every single one of these new systems has a non-RNG workaround. So if you really don't want to deal with RNG, then you don't have to. You can't say the same options existed when the best gear was hidden behind boss kills in weekly raids.
    • Like x 1
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You're right...I don't decide that...the makers of the game do. And they've made it to where it's not necessary to have those items to progress. What they did also is make those items highly desirable to get people to pay and chase. They make you WANT it to the point you honestly believe you NEED it when you actually don't. But if you want to continue with the delusion that you need them when you don't, more power to you...after all, that compulsion helps support the game I love.
    • Like x 3
  20. Zneeak Devoted Player

That red marked text right there is exactly where you are wrong and where the real delusion comes in. They keep pushing out these OP items on us, make them desirable enough for them to actually MATTER in terms of progression and then make the droprate so terrible that most people get burned out on the episode and give up trying to get those items. It's really unattractive and causes people to feel unhappy and less inclined to spend money and support the game eventually. So there we go.

What I wonder is why you are trying THIS hard to defend something that is obviously an issue.