Dev Discussion Update: Time Capsules, Quarks, and Costs

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. light FX Steadfast Player

Whats so great about it? I see primes reply to ya and agree. Plus the story of ep29 makes very little sense to me. In the stream SJ claims its all about jokes vs riddles in the comics atm. Riddler vs the joker for control of gotham. Where is the riddler? I dont see em. Where is the joker? Dont see him either.

Then all of a sudden we are back in that same warehouse and then head to the batcave where talia shows up with some ninjas. Then we go to a zoo? :confused: Now joker owned a zoo in the comics. But does the zoo in the game look like joker owns it? And i do like the zoo raid, like the look of it as well. But my point here is the story. Plus the episode is more of the same open world stuff. Carry a box, kill some guys, turn some cogs. Feats are a repeat of AF3 and AoJ when it comes to crafting. All the elite feats are the same as normal but in elite. No creativity there at all.

U can have your opinion obviously and like the episode. All good there. But i compare it to past episodes. And it doesnt stack up imo. Plus the bugs. When 1 episode has upwards of 30 bugs that hit live something is definitely wrong. Its lackluster to say the least. Imo it looks like this was converted into an episode at the last minute and rushed because of that.
    • Like x 11
  2. light FX Steadfast Player

Exactly^ and its super strange that some players claim they do know. This game existed for almost 6 years w/out TCs. We got new episodes with new maps, new legend characters, new powers, new features, and new styles all w/out TCs. There were even 2 previous revamps w/out TCs.
    • Like x 7
  3. David Ivanenko Committed Player

I left the game before TCs were added and came back about a month or so ago (when the revamp launched). To my surprise, there's a LOT of feats attached to this so called "Cosmetic" and "Optional" items.
    I've bought stabilizers to check what's on the boxes, and so far the only things I've gotten from them that have feats attached or are "Rare" are a couple of emblems from the new capsules. From the previous one, I NEVER received a single item worth selling and not a single item that gave me a feat or completed any of the styles; whenever I got a gear capsule (like 3% of the time) it would have the exact same 2 pieces (hands and waist), I had to buy extra pieces from the broker (shoulders and feet) and I'll never buy the rest, since they're extremely expensive, and after my "hiatus" I'm behind everyone else money-wise.
    I know I probably don't pray enough to "RNGsus", but with this odds it would take me years (that sadly I think this game doesn't have) and thousands of dollars that I'm not irresponsible enough to waste on gambling.
    I like the way my characters look right now and don't like the styles that have been released on TCs, so the only incentive for me is the feats attached to them, which are NOT optional after the revamp.

In another MMO I play, there's an "Optional items" Store where you can buy emotes, styles, mounts, etc. The only reward attached to them (if any) are titles and achievements which do absolutely nothing to your character's progression. Also, people do buy those items, you can see pretty much anyone in game using said mounts, emotes and stuff, and they do it without pretty much forcing you to.

In a game so focused on completing long lists of random requirements (feats) for character progression, adding another 100 of them every couple of months under a clumsy and unresponsive UI, clearly tells what they're focu$ing on.

TL;DR: "Optional" and "Cosmetic" items, are not optional when there's feats attached to them. And anyone not spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, will never complete them.
    • Like x 11
  4. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

*sigh*

If you can't figure out that launching episodes while doing a revamp on the game costs more money than when they were just spitting out an episode every month, I really don't know how to help you.

You guys see what you want to see, not the reality of it. Not even close. The fact is, DBG admitted that TCs surpass everything else for revenue, which makes it their primary source, which means it pays the lions share for all the things that I mentioned.

I know you don't like that answer. Your feelings about it are irrelevant to it being factual.

Lastly, don't go all huffy about assumptions when you write sentences like "I BET it was mostly finished already, easily implemented, etc." THAT's what an assumption looks like.

Here's a fact for you, and you're not going to like it. TCs and the feats inside of them are going nowhere. All your whining and footstomping won't change that. Here, we clearly have an opportunity to make our voices heard on the vendor, and instead of that you're all still crying about TCs and feats.

By all means keep banging your head on the wall about it though. Or throw a fit and quit because a completely optional system is not appealing to you. That seems to be the go to reaction from forumites over this issue lately.

Good grief.
  5. Proxystar #Perception

This is a dev discussion thread giving people an opportunity to provide feedback on all aspects if the quark system. The time capsules are tied to that system and you're not going to like this, but that's a fact.

Now instead of badgering people let them share their views because that's what this thread is for.
    • Like x 12
  6. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

"Can we see the numbers?"

"show us where all the revenue is going"

People could go to jail for disclosing proprietary info such as this without permission, and you want them the company to just openly post that kind of business info on a forum for anybody, including their competitors to see.

Good lord, the level of entitlement this community has created in its own collective mind is just absurd. Maybe you can have a livestream with Jackster and the accountants, and they can do a line by line explanation that still wouldn't satisfy you.

Get over yourselves. None of us is entitled to any of that information.
  7. Mohican378 Dedicated Player

Nothing is stopping anybody from expressing their views, and nothing is stopping other players form responding to those views.

And this post is pretty rich coming from you of all people Proxy.
  8. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Well I'd argue Talia hijacking the gang war to create an army of manbats adds an extra layer of intrigue. And that same warehouse is a different one to the WC one. It's reused, but they added lots of little environmental things like the laser hallway. And what else would you want from open world missions? Most missions where they deviate from that end up being a bit dodgey, look at the Toyman stuff.
    I don't think anything you've said is wrong, but I think this dlc is decent enough aside from the bugs. The bugs are absolutely unacceptable though, they really need to test this stuff better internally. What we got on Thursday shouldn't have been on test, never mind live. I'm glad this dlc is basically only for two months though, it's enjoyable enough for me but I can definitely see it getting old fast. At least I can actually play the content, which is more than I can say for AF2. Thank goodness full lv98 armour got you into HOP2, I'd have been stuck otherwise.
  9. Proxystar #Perception

Although we're never going to see numbers were more than entitled to discuss a perception.

There is a distinct appearance that with reused, rehashed content money might not be flowing back in to development.

That's simply an observation, the devs can defend this observation in their own way based on what they want to say.

It is categorically not your place to do that for them.
    • Like x 5
  10. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Lol, competitors.

It's not so much entitlement. Moreso the deserving of a certain standard of service from a company supplying a product. That's not entitlement. That's asking for what we pay for. And most of the responses are "We're not gonna take It! No we're not gonna take it. We're not gonna take it anymore!"

Couldn't help it. :)

It's not wrong to complain if you feel your not being compensated for something you've purchased. A good debate and discussion is healthy for everything. No one in this thread says they hate the game, anywhere. Most are just that passionate about the game.
    • Like x 7
  11. Proxystar #Perception

At this point you're not actually expressing an opinion on the topic at hand you're berating people for expressing an opinion and arguing whether you're entitled to have information or not

You're also drawing conclusions on behalf of the devs as to what may or may not be up for change.
    • Like x 6
  12. light FX Steadfast Player

Yea some of the warehouse is different. But its the fact that we just spent 3.5 months going into that map daily with WC in AoJ and then go right back in there again :oops:

As far as open world goes well what i dont want is the same thing over and over. Mix it up a bit. Its not my job to come up with the ideas. Daybreak employees get paid for that. I could list some things that other games do for open world and do well but im not going to because its the devs responsibility to improve it. People can look into it themselves if they want. I will say the riddler clue boxes for ep29 was nice simply because it was different although it was used in the 1-30 missions. But i am ok with bringing something like that back because it was so long ago. Reusing the same stuff from episode to episode is what a lot of players dont like.

I saw u mention traveling back to old maps if the story calls for it. I would assume most are ok with that. But what is different about amusement mile other then the graffiti and type of adds? Oh and the riddler light in the sky. Look at the war torn village in AoJ. If TCs are so successful and so much $ is being made we should see new environments like that with every episode. Take new genesis open world. Fantastic looking. Look at AF2. 3 all new maps that almost everyone loved. Gotham wastelands, awesome. So it has been done before so that should mean it can be done again.

Plus do u know how much of the dc lore and characters they havent even touched? There is a GIANT amount of lore they can pick from. And we get reused warehouse maps? But this is getting off topic. Dont want to derail the thread. If u want to reply by all means. But im going to stop here.

1 other thing tho that is on topic, we never saw the prices for the 2 missing items. So how can we know for sure those 2 items will actually have a reduction in price? The answer is we cant. Also where is the updates for the stat revamp that is still needed? It certainly looks like things move slow and bugs dont get fixed because resources are being spent on this TC/quark stuff. At least from the outside looking in. See this is the problem when we hear TCs are super successful. Because then players are gonna start questioning where that money is going when we get broken lackluster content.
    • Like x 2
  13. CAPn Active Player

let legendary subscribers open up a free box a day very similar to the Promethean lockboxes I would find that an acceptable change. But the way they spam your inventory by dropping every other NPC kill but only letting you open up one every three days is infuriating.
    • Like x 2
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

That's a straight up BOLD faced LIE!!!! Straight up misinformation. You expect the company to take you seriously when you exaggerate this badly??? There aren't enough skill points in all the time capsules combined to fool anyone into thinking you're at end game. Hell, the skip to 100cr feature gives you 60sp, and that's still nothing. Secondly, the TC gear alone will take way too long and way too much money to even get you half-way to current end game....not with the way things attune. They made sure to not make that possible. TC gear can accelerate the cr climb, but you STILL have to heavily participate in PvE content and get drops and vendor gear to get up there.

Look I totally get people's frustrations with TC and the feats attached and all that...but hyperbole never gets you anywhere...unless you're trying to make people laugh.
    • Like x 1
  15. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

Before the revamp if you spent a few thousand on stabilizers at level 30 you could do what the guy said if you picked the right power . But now with the quarks vendor if you have enough you can buy a set of gear to get you to top content so he's right.
    • Like x 2
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

U can get to end game doing what the person stated. There is no sp requirement in this game. So all the player needs is the cr. And most of the content is very easy that even a player with a very low amount of sp can get through it. Regardless of that getting to end game cr was the point. And that can certainly be done. But i get this topic is about the feats.

Look there is always a bottom line with everything. I posted earlier about how we used to get episodes with new maps, new legends, new powers, new features and new styles all w/out TCs. And there was 2 revamps w/out TCs. I say this because whenever this topic comes up the people who defend TCs always say the game NEEDS the money. Well we all know none of us know the financial situation of daybreak, their budget and so on.

So saying its NEEDED is a guess at best. And because we used to get all the stuff i mentioned w/out TCs it makes people wonder why they are needed in the game? Are there not other ways this game can make $? Yes there most definitely is. Are feats NEEDED in TCs? Only to make $. And we have no idea if that money is going back into the game. I find the TC defense silly because there is never an argument that makes sense for defending them. Other then straight cash homey :p And i mean the defending done by the players. If ya like something normal people have a reason to like it right? So if people say i like the styles fine. Could those styles be in the game as a reward in content? Of course. Could they be on the MP? Yep. So imo its pretty clear some people simply like to gamble.

I will use 1 thing i saw someone say, that TCs helped water go live or were needed so water could be created. Ridiculous. Water was announced 2 years ago. The 1st TC came out in sept 2016, a year ago. Water was announced before jackster was hired too. This is what i mean when i say silly defense. And how exactly did atomic and munitions go live w/out TCs?
    • Like x 3
  17. stärnbock Devoted Player

as i allready stated, i think that there should be no feat (4 point feat) in the vendor and yes, the prices are overkill! i think that the cosmetics (stealth material) and other stuff is looking realy good, but it would take hundreds of keys to buy for them to get enough quarks. therefore, i thank you for reducing prices. i have given up on them when i saw how it was set. maybe :10 for the prices and way much more quarks per key (at least ten, but same chance to get 100) would help... maybe. if nothing changes, i will not even go into the events for free fragments. also: why not making it optional to buy the stuff directly in the MP? i mean: put it all in there for a fix price and give the option to optain them for ppl who dont like TC's... just an idea...
  18. Harlequin Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 12
  19. HarryHell Well-Known Player

A system like tc's may be in most mmos these days, i wouldn't know. However a RNG system that may cost several hundreds of dollars for a few styles (with feats) can't be protected, no matter how common it is. Drop rates of certain items and collections are terrible, this vendor could have fixed a lot of that.
    Instead of making tc's more fair to those who can't use hundreds of dollars on a game every other month, you somehow did it worse, allthough you are willing to attone for some of your sin.
    I do not buy that most players still participate in buying stabilizers from MP, i do believe it alienates more and more players.
    What i see is that the steady focus on TC, the revamp (made a way most players never asked for), and the new content not meeting expectations, resulting in more and more players quitting, lfg going slower and (this coming from one that talked against the players claiming this year after year) game is dying. Maybe its to late to listen and cater to the average player (not whalers), maybe you're simply not willing to, but the result of you cater to a few and only seem interested in getting as much money from whalers as possible in short time is a dying game.
    • Like x 2
  20. RealTegan Dedicated Player

AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM. You can have people with practically no skill points at end game CR. People who don't have a clue how to play the game. Just from opening Time Capsules. Does that not undermine the point of playing the game? Why bother playing when you can buy your way to the top. Heck, half the time I go into the stabilizer event I'm paired with someone who queued up but doesn't actually want to play it and is happy to have me do it all. Tons of people used to want to be carried in content. Now they can just buy themselves up to almost the top CR.

Mepps said the time capsules are primarily cosmetic. That's the BOLD faced LIE!!!! that you are looking for, not my comment on why Time Capsules are undermining the game.
    • Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.