AM vs pftt

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by pitbullb3, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

Weapon Mastery was more of a bridge to Power Mechanics if I recall correctly. It was instituted to allow all players a way to do the competitive damage to the heavy hitters, i.e. Light, Celestial and Rage. It was introduced, as you mentioned, to allow players to also play similar role-play to Deathstroke and other multi-weapon users, but its function was something in the meantime while they tried to change other power sets to provide heavy damage.

When I say they should have made changes prior to tier 6, I mean that we really didn't need everything we've had in between GU 37 and GU 73 in terms of power revamps. All we really needed was for them to do a combination of update 36 (with Weapon Mastery) and update 73.
  2. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You do realize that the other button input options are being used for other things??? o_O Where exactly would they fit more powers in??? They already pushed it with R2+X for the utility belt. Doing more of that gets incredibly messy for this game because of its original design. Could they fix that...maybe. But sure, call what I said "childish" instead of what it should have been "possibly misinformed"....the only childish thing here is your response to me.
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

And what i'm telling you here is that the second part of the equation wasn't doable by the last guy in charge of systems design...hence the hot mess we got in the intervening years. When Avair came in and took over, they all decided to scrap the former plans and started working on what eventually morphed into GU73.
    • Like x 1
  4. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

I get it. I was just responding to someone else's "what if" scenario for saving time. What if Avair had arrived in April 2014 instead of last year?
    • Like x 1
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Play style as you can hybrid in any spec.
    • Like x 1
  6. monaka Well-Known Player

Avair has been with the game since 2011 or earlier.
    Here is a link to his linkedin profile.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/unomann
  7. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

what a mess this game has become.
    • Like x 2
  8. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

Maybe I meant "arrived" in the sense of becoming a prominent figure? ;)

Actually, I did not know, but my "what if" scenario could also be altered to: What if the minds that came up with GU73 had done so back in 2014 instead of now?

I think the core of the game was pretty good back then. Similar changes back then might have resulted in something close to what we have now but maybe slightly better.
    • Like x 1
  9. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

Sure, but the hybrid path would seem to suggest the same play style. The description for it suggests as much, but the execution is poor.
  10. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

you could of easily said they could of went about mapping the buttons differently to allow for more powers to be used on a LO, but did you? Nope, took your shots where it wasn't need nor called for ;)

or could of simply not done UB to start with, and allowed the R2+X to open up for 3-4 new abilities to be used, think of it as a SC / finisher spot if you will, and the rest of the LO PI / DoTs spots.

it'd allow for more possibilities in more powers like elec and nature, even sorc that has DoTs.
  11. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Working for the company and being in charge of a certain department are not the same things. Early last year after most of the SOE-to-Daybreak dust had settled, Avair got promoted to Lead Systems Designer (meaning he was NOW in charge of the whole systems department). Once he took over, things were discussed and the previous balance plans (finishing Mid-Range pass for Weapons which would then lead to the Mid-Range adjustments for Nature/Electric/Sorcery/Earth...all powers that were dependent on weapons) got scrapped, and then they announced the Stats Matter initiative, which started in one direction, and then morphed into a bigger project as Avair and company saw a need to fix things from a foundation level as opposed to all the previous band-aid fixes that did more harm than good.

TL;DR: Yes, Avair has been with the company for a long time, but he was not in charge, and everything prior to the Stats Matter revamp announced mid-last year, were not his decisions since he wasn't the boss of the systems department.:)
  12. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Unfortunately, no one here has a DeLorean to lend so we could go back and show them this. ;)
    • Like x 1
  13. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Who did I take shots at??? I merely pointed out the limitations because of design choices made LONG ago that are not being reversed, therefore this is what we have to live with. How you extrapolated me taking a shot at anyone is beyond me.

Hind sight is 20/20, once they went the utility belt route, they more or less closed the doors on that option. They could revamp that as well, but considering how fantastically well people are taking this massive change, I have very little reason to believe that would be well received as well.
  14. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

Risk and reward you say? They will be nerfed!

Wait, what?
  15. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Can't see it all that way especially when Ams locked certain powers out of the patterned loadouts we use to have, the pftt offers more variety, were Ams offered a generic sequence to do damage competitive wise, so that will be consider easy mode rather than finding the loadout that suits you more.
    • Like x 1
  16. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

blaming 6 LO slots on consoles is simply false for the example I gave (other games allow more than 6 abilities on a LO bar on consoles)

and last I recall when DCUO 1st came out it was PC only no? So again how was it a consoles fault?

Jan 5th 2011 to Sep 19th it was legendary only on live servers, before that it was beta for a full month give or take, Dec 14th 2010 to Jan 5th 2011, when it went F2P.

So it was 1.1 year needing legendary and PC only.

so if any blame should be placed any where its not on a platform but on the devs for being so closed minded ;)
  17. BumblingB I got better.

It was their way of balancing hybrid. Since you get accelerated power back in super powered. But it doesn't stop you from using your weapon. But to be honest it's not as breaking as AMs were between power sets.
  18. monaka Well-Known Player

You mean after Mark Halash (aka Tunso) the Lead System Designer's departure from DCUO when Avair got promoted to Lead Systems Design?
  19. BumblingB I got better.

They wanted a fast paced console action game like mmo. It was because of the controller is why we have 6 slots and they designed the utility belt around the 4 action buttons.

But it wasn't the reason why AMs were so simple. That was to counter gu36 and the fact combo powers were already unique. If you noticed they lost steam on am redesigns by the end there.
  20. BumblingB I got better.

That is somewhat not right. He was working on eq next and landmark until that went bye bye and tunso left.
    • Like x 1