Stats Revamp 1.8: Gadgets

Discussion in 'Stats Revamp Archive' started by Shin-O-B, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shin-O-B Developer

Gadgets 1.8

First off, an incredible round of thanks to those who have been testing Gadgets and providing piles of feedback update after update! Your passion for Gadgets is obvious, and we decided to match your passion with extra hours and effort to improve Gadgets for 1.8. Comprehensive and constructive criticism has been instrumental in this process.

Gadgets was one of the earliest powersets we adjusted in the revamp. We have learned much in this process, and one of the key things we’ve learned is that it’s best to change as little as possible while still achieving the revamp’s overall balance goals. Feedback for Gadgets has consistently been about pace, power interactions, and utility, and previous updates for Gadgets have tried to address this feedback in numerous ways that ultimately didn’t work for Gadgets. This update walks back many of the more…creative…adjustments we had made previously, focuses on what has always made Gadgets special, and restores much of the function and flavor you’re used to on live.

Doing so means that Gadgets will have a dynamic all its own in the revamp. This is thanks to the availability of a wider array of low cost and short cooldown abilities, accompanied by high cost and long cooldown finishers. The low cost abilities, like Gauss Grenade and Cryo-Foam, have been designed to be more cohesive and allow for mixing and matching of Power Interactions. The higher cost abilities, like EMP Pulse and Paralyzing Dart, have been modified to hit hard and benefit from all Power Interaction types, for a firm dose of that legacy Gadgets freedom.

Try these tech toys out and let us know what you think! The more comprehensive the feedback (tell us both what you like and what you don’t like and why), the easier it will be for us to respond and integrate said feedback. Once again, thank you for your time, your effort, your energy, and your patience with the process! 

P.S. Suppressor Turret is still under construction! It is important that we nail down gameplay without the pet first!
    • Like x 3
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Dazing Gadgets
    These tools are situational and apply Daze opportunistically.
    • Stasis Field: Remains the Supercharge Generator and returns as a Defense Debuff
    • Stealth: Now detaunts and Dazes surrounding enemies, setting up for immediate PI exploitation
    • Cuff ‘Em: If not Dazed with Stealth, Cuff ‘Em can quickly control and Daze nearby targets
    • Neural Neutralizer: Functions like in previous Gadgets updates; applies and exploits Daze
    • Holographic Decoy: Functions like in previous Gadgets updates
    Electrifying Gadgets
    These tools apply Electrify, deal burst damage, and benefit from Daze and Frostbite PIs.
    • Gauss Grenade: Now 100 cost, stuns in Control Role, and returns as a Defense Debuff
    • Taser Pull: Now 100 cost and remains as a targeted AOE, pulls the main target, and stuns in Control Role.
    Frostbiting Gadgets
    These tools apply Frostbite, tend to deal damage over time, and benefit from Electrify and Burning PIs.
    • Cryo-Field: Returns to its former glory on Live as a damaging aura, but with a relatively shorter duration and cooldown; Burns the Electrified and encases the Frostbitten.
    • Cryo-Foam: Once again deals damage over time, stuns in Control Role, and returns as a Healing Debuff; Burns the Electrified and encases the Frostbitten.
    • Implosion Mine: Now 100 cost and stuns in any role. Because of its cast time and its point-blank delivery, its damage output is greater than Cryo-Foam.
    Burning Gadgets
    These tools apply Burning, deal damage over time, and benefit from Daze and Frostbite PIs.
    • Napalm Grenade: Now 100 cost. On Live, this ability benefits from Electrify and Frostbite, but we switched the Electrify exploit to Daze to better fit the model. Knocks down in Control Role and remains a Healing Debuff.
    • Thermite Mine: Now 100 cost and knocks down in any role. Because of its cast time and its point-blank delivery, its damage output is greater than Napalm Grenade.
    Exploiting Gadgets
    These tools deal heavier damage, and benefit from Power Interactions, some benefitting from all of Gadgets’ PIs.
    • Fear Gas: Overhauled to a similar form of its Live counterpart with Panic effects, but has a relatively shorter cast duration, and benefits from Electrify and Burning PIs; Burns the Electrified, but does not encase the Frostbitten; You may even discover some other neat features about this one!
    • Vortex Cannon: Does not apply Daze, like on Live, but continues to benefit from Daze like in previous updates. Stuns in Control Role.
    • EMP Pulse: The point-blank delivery and 450 cost make this the hardest hitting ability in the Gadgets arsenal. This fan-favorite also exploits Daze, Electrify, Frostbite, and Burning to honor the spirit of EMP rotations. Mind your use, as this ability can consume power quickly!
    • Paralyzing Dart: At 450 cost, this is the second hardest hitting ability, because of its ranged delivery. Like EMP Pulse, this ability exploits Daze, Electrify, Frostbite, and Burning, allowing it to work with any loadout.
    • Sticky Bomb: Now 200 cost, and the final finisher to exploit Daze, Electrify, Frostbite, and Burning. This option is more affordable than the finishers in its class.
    Additional Abilities
    These abilities do not deal with any particular PI, making them useful for any loadout.
    • Surprise Attack: Your hard-hitting, single target attack from Stealth
    • Photon Blast: Your standard execute
    • Distract: Functions like in previous Gadgets updates
    • Battle Drone: Damages in Damage Role and Shields in Control Role, like in the previous update.
    • Anesthetic: Functions like in previous Gadgets updates
    • Asphyxiation Gas: Functions like in previous Gadgets updates
    • Bunker Buster: Functions like in previous Gadgets updates
  3. ChillCat Loyal Player

SUPER (GADGETS) GREAT!!!
    • Like x 2
  4. spack2k Steadfast Player

I dont know if i understand that right and will have to test out but some powers apply a PI and benefit at the same time from the same PI ?

Isnt that against the revamp’s overall balance goals?
  5. Trexlight Devoted Player

GO GO GADGETS GREAT!

Seriously, perfect moment for Inspector Gadgets memes lol
  6. Shin-O-B Developer

Should be 200 cost, but is currently at 100 cost. This will be fixed in the next update.
  7. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Glad too see Gauss returned to defense debuff and Cryo foam to health debuff. I may be missing it in the announcement, but what power(s) give the attack debuff? Vortex cannon still one of them?
  8. Duck X Active Player

Please try to balance the hard hitting powers because if they are hitting really hard then you will end up with people getting 3 controllers and spamming pdart fear gas emp and sticky bomb. If it is well balanced tho gadget will be a very fun and cool powerset to play with and it will be very creative changes.
  9. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

First impressions:

• I like the changes, Gauss, Fear, and Foam feel like a stable now.
    • It works great too: I went into the Seeing Shades again solo, and just for the fun of it: I tried what I liked to call"Live like Loadout" This loadout consists of Gauss, Fear, Foam, EMP, Napalm, and a Supercharge of choice. It worked surprisingly well, whenever I got low on power I went to spam Napalm.. which I'll get to here in just a minute.
    • Love the fact that Fear Gas can be Jump cancelled once more, feels right at home. It felt so weird on test having fear gas without the jump cancelling aspect.
    Bug reports:
    • According to your post Mepps, Napalm Grenade is now supposed to benefit from Daze and Inflict Burning. The Description says however, that Napalm Grenade Benefits from burning.
    • Napalm Grenade also is acting a little bit funny, From what I've tested in the Seeing Shades again Solo; This thing won't do any damage at long range.
    • Sticky Bomb says it costs 100 power, this is inconsistent with what was stated. It's supposed to state it costs 200 power.
    I'll probably be testing this stuff out with hybrid and seeing how the mines, and sticky bomb work out in combat. But my first impressions are great nonetheless.
  10. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

That's their problem. EMP and P.Dart have a 3 second cooldown each, on top of their 450 power costs. The Developers shouldn't really have to adjust if people are going to be unreasonable with power consumption. That's the whole point of the Revamp and PFTT staying is because they want you to be manageable with your power bar and controllers.
  11. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    Stasis Field is not listed on the Gadgets power menu listing. It does show up on the loadout screen though.
    • Like x 1
  12. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    Can the "Panic" control effect for Fear Gas be replaced with a simple Stun like what was utilized in 1.6? Panic has always been a messy ability when used in melee situations. It causes mobs to run off in random directions and that usually isn't a desirable outcome. Usually you want the mob group to stay tightly packed for your follow-up attacks.
    • Like x 2
  13. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Reports
    1. Gauss Grenade's description says it inflicts the defense debuff. It actually inflicts the healing debuff:

2. Stasis Field's description says it inflicts the defense debuff. It isn't doing anything as far as I can tell:

3. Paralyzing Dart is causing target's to assume the default T pose:

What's up with the new sound effects for Dart? It sounds weird to me.

4. Cryo-Foam's description says it inflicts the Healing debuff. It is inflicting the Defense debuff:
    • Like x 1
  14. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Reports
    1. The description for Stealth needs to be updated. I don't think "Dazed enemies take additional damage" is appropriate here. Rather, Stealth inflicts Dazed on nearby enemies:
    [IMG]

2. According to the Patch notes, Sticky Bomb is supposed to be a 200 base cost power. It is 100 in-game:
    [IMG]

3. Napalm Grenade mentions that it is supposed to use Burning. In reality, it is inflicting the Burning power interaction:
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  15. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    Implosion Mine is not doing ANY damage. Also, its control effect is not working.

Assuming it was working properly, is Implosion Mine supposed to inflict Frostbite and encase enemies?
    • Like x 1
  16. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    The description for Sticky Bomb needs to be updated to mention it is still an Encasement Breaker:
    • Like x 1
  17. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Question
    Is Sticky Bomb only supposed to do damage to a single target without the power interaction being setup?

I don't know whether that is a bug or intended.
    • Like x 2
  18. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Question
    Is Paralyzing Dart supposed to be a single-target stun?

At 450 power cost, I would expect this to be a group stun.
    • Like x 1
  19. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    You can have up to 3 Suppressor Turrets out at one time now:

(Jump to 9 seconds)

Normally you can only have two out at the same time, but sometimes the pet destruction timer doesn't go off at exactly the right time.

Three Suppressor Turrets and they still barely average 2,000 dps.

Yeah, I know that Suppressor Turret is still under construction. I was just interested in checking out its current status.
    • Like x 1
  20. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Ignoring the bugs, mechanically this seems pretty good to me. Here are some of my first thoughts after just checking out the changes quickly.

Cryo-Field: I like that this is an aura again, thanks a lot. What irritates me is its insane ticking speed. 48 ticks over 12 seconds is just nuts. I think this should be consolidated to 24 or fewer ticks over the same period (with the same total damage) so that it's easier to distinguish hits from other abilities while CField is running. Besides, on electrified targets this now does the PI sound with each tick so having it at four ticks a second is annoying.

Taser Pull: I don't like that this is basically Gauss Grenade now. There is no significant difference between the two now (for DPS) and since TP does more damage and doesn't use ballistics this will be the go-to power for any DPS. No reason to use Gauss Grenade anymore which I guess is somewhat good because of those annoying ballistics but also goes against the fundamentals of the revamp. Taser Pull in my opinion should be reverted to single target.

Frostbite: Encasement detonation doesn't seem to give any extra damage, so why is freezing still on each of the frostbite powers? I'm not against freezing in general, but I feel like this will limit builds a bit because most of the time you'd want to actively avoid using encasements instead of going out of your way to encase and then immediately detonate them for no gain. If detonation doesn't deal extra damage then what's the point of encasing and then detonating anyway?

Daze: Funny how everything seems to daze by now. I guess it just fits well thematically with the Batman-like confusion/surprise/fear approach but I just wish some of those would interact with other PI a bit more. Maybe Stasis Field at least could exploit electrify again so that there's some more connectivity between daze and other PI.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.