Ice or Fire DPS?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by DCUO Gaming, Feb 16, 2017.

1. DCUO Gaming Well-Known Player

Now before we start off, I want your honest opinion on which one you think I should be, (because opinions are always best) either stay fire, or go ice. I've been a fire player for 3-4 years now (can't remember which) and I started out as a dps until i reached T5, then switched to tank until the Anniversary Event last month (about a span of 2-3 years), and now I'm a dps again. I keep noticing when I do alerts and raids I either am nowhere near the top person on the scoreboard (usually third or second if the group is mostly dps in an alert), or I just can't seem to burn the adds health very quickly. And after Fire DPS'ing for a while now, its becoming rather tedious and boring (not to mention not as productive) as most dps's. Its Always the same: Burning Determination to start the AM, then inferno clipped with fiery weapon, then flame cascade to keep AM alive, then spam fireburst until inferno finishes its cooldown. I also find it rather aggravating that basically 95% of Fire's damage comes from spamming fireburst, 4% from flame cascade, and then 1% from the DoTs from inferno; any other power than fireburst and to an extent flame cascade is pretty much garbage when it comes to damage. Recently however, I've been playing test more than live because I'm enjoying my ice test toon so much. Everything I do deals significant damage, nowhere near as much spamming, and I top the scoreboards in raids and alerts by a large sum of damage. Now I know fire hasn't reached test yet (hoping its next to help make my decision), but unless DB just completely tears down how it is now and starts over with new powers that actually deal damage other than the 2 powers that don't suck to an extent (yes, I know, flame cascade has a good juggle but I'm not going to sit there and juggle enemies in raids or alerts all day, unless I want it to take 3x as long). Now as for the tank side; I don't know HOW, DB is going to allow Fire Tanks to deal damage). If you've ever fire tanked, you know to always block no matter what, if you need to move out of the way, dodge, only open up to use a pull / juggle unless you like being one shotted all the time. No shields to prevent damage like Ice, just heals which will kill you in raids if you open up from a block instead of letting the healer to its job (because you receive a whole lot more healing in, plus damage reduction when blocking, so if your not blocking all the time and opening up only to use a pull or juggle, your just a sack of meat sitting there waiting to be one shotted). But as I was saying, I enjoy using Ice on test a lot compared to Fire, and the damage looks great, but before I jump to any assumptions, it's always best to gather opinions. So what do you guys think, stay Fire, or switch to Ice?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback given.:)
  2. VariableFire Loyal Player

If they actually want Fire Tanks to be more active under the new paradigm that statsrevamp has shown, Fiery Weapon could heal with every hit on a burning enemy. But that's just speculation.

Given that there's still no general idea of when statsrevamp will drop, I'd say go Ice now if it interests you. Ice is more lenient on SP requirements than Fire and I don't see that changing even after statsrevamp.
  3. gemii Dedicated Player

Both great tanks

Ice is the superior DPS at the moment.

From personal experience playing with both powers. I prefer Fires tanking side over Ice's tank side but i prefer ice DPS over Fire DPS. keeping the blue flame while fire dps'in is a chore and the fireburst animation is so slow but looks cool. So meh my vote goes to ice
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Ice DPS blows fire out of the water, not only does arctic gust hit like a truck but ice also has a reliable SC that will practically double your damage for decent amount of time. If you're looking for damage, ice all the way.

Also no, it was already stated HL, rage, and nature are next on the test server.
    • Like x 1
  5. spack2k Steadfast Player

Fire will probably be in the last wave of stats revamp due to the amount of work its needed to be a battle tank.

Well Ice elemental makes the difference between Fire & Ice , if it wouldnt be for that SC they would do similar damage in raids because fire is superior on boss while ice superior on adds.
  6. DCUO Gaming Well-Known Player

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I guess it looks like I'll be switching to ice here soon. lol :)
  7. Korlick Loyal Player

DPSing with Ice is as boring as Fire. But yes, it is stronger.
    • Like x 3
  8. Mazahs Loyal Player

I prefer Ice tanking over Fire myself, because it's more forgiving (atm) With your shields up you can be more active in attacking and do much less turtle tanking. DPS side I honestly cannot stand Ice DPS'ng

Hold L2 clip 3 buttons tap AG 3x rinse and repeat. Ice to me is vastly superior to Fire in DPS, but It's so darn monotonous
  9. SUPERMANPRiM3 Well-Known Player

well bro if you find fire DPS/Tank Boring then ICE is not for you.

usual DPS loadout.
    1.Wintery Tempest, 2.Cold Snap, 3.Ice Bash, 4.Avalanche (Range) or Artic Gust (In their Face), 5.Reflection, 6.Ice Elemental (Damage Buff)
    Rotation. Clip 1 2 3 together then repeat 4 until 1 2 3 are available again. you can also add 5 in the mix of the roataion for protection. so making it 1 2 3 5 and repeat 4 until they are available again.
    a powerful but boring power.

Tank load out.
    Shield, Shield, Shield, Shield power power.
    rotation. Pull power, Shield

thats it.
  10. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

You spelled the inferior after fire wrong
    • Like x 2
  11. spack2k Steadfast Player

error not found
  12. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

I'm not reading your wall of text. Go fire.
    • Like x 1
  13. DCUO Gaming Well-Known Player

Lol yes it is somewhat long, but I like to be descriptive and put actual meaning into what I say and what the problem is.
    So far its go Ice from the feedback so far and based on how much I've been liking it on test (plus not reading the opening message and then not providing as to why choose fire, is definitely not constructive feedback), I've decided that Ice is the way to go. Planning to respec sometime in March, seeing as I bought the lair and utility belt system a month ago (and a set rule of mine is wait at least 2 months before getting something new). Waiting until next month will also give me some time look into some ice videos and going to the ice guide in Oracles database to implement some knowledge on ice AM and other mechanics that are on live servers right now.
    And thanks for all the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.
  14. Ereez Well-Known Player

I believe ice is better dps at the moment but I personally prefer fire for both roles, I like everything about how it plays minus the dreadful high pitched noise that plays when you use burning determination. If they changed the sound for that power or changed which power activates the AM then i'd be more inclined to dps on my fire toon
  15. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

OP, please adjust your sig to something even remotely along the lines of the ToS regarding signatures.
    Your current sig takes up slightly more than 1 entire screen in my browser on a 1080px vertical resolution.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?help/terms

I really hate scrolling. Especially 1 entire page of scrolling through a sig.
    • Like x 1
  16. Pults Loyal Player

That's up to moderators to deal with it. Images scale to the frame, width wise at least. Text doesn't.
    Mine for example exceeds both the dimensions and file size (1,5mb allowed vs 3,9mb), but the dimensions are scaled to the frame dedicated for signatures.
  17. Bose Well-Known Player

I'd say stay fire, the tanking is great and the DPS is average...
    But why do you care about the scorecard to begin with? The devs have said multiple times the damage counter is flawed and doesn't work properly and the scoreboard means literally NOTHING at the end of a raid. It's just an annoying pop up window.
    • Like x 1
  18. DCUO Gaming Well-Known Player

It's not so much the scorecard I care about, it's how much and how well I'm supporting my team when I do something. That feeling you have when you know that you were a great contributor and an important asset to the team gives you a sense of relief that you did your job right, instead of feeling like you were just being dragged through the instance with nothing contributed in the end. Sure we might have gotten the job done either way, but you always want to feel that sense of helpfulness and importance when completing any group content.
  19. Bose Well-Known Player

In that case fire does a great job of that. Fire DPS is average like quantum, Its not on the same level as Mental, Ice, etc...but its not as ****** as nature/electric either.
  20. AnonymousEUPS Dedicated Player

Fire is a solid DPS, I'd go as far as to say as strong, if not stronger than Ice. The problem though, is with each interruption to fireburst, a gap will start appearing and it's a gap you can never close against an equally geared/skilled Ice DPS over the course of an instance. Mistimed firebursts on add that are about to die also contributes to this.

It was very strong in the Trigon SM, beating Ice, since you can just fireburst to your hearts content in there with little to no interruption at all, although not all SMs allow you to do this like Trigons does but it does show what fireburst is capable of. If fireburst wasn't interruptable in any way it would be one of the top DPS powers atm. It can still compete though, it just takes a lot more effort and thought process than Ice. Great for bosses, and lets face it, they are the only place where damage really matters in any instance. If the scoreboard only showed boss damage we would see a complete shift in the supposed tier list for powers...
    • Like x 2