Creating non-human characters...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kaegrin, Jan 15, 2017.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If you take a look at Jim Lee character designs over the years, you notice two things:

1. He's got a certain physical look for all his characters (and a great appreciation for the female form LOL).
    2. He's not afraid to go bulky or overly elaborate on some designs, especially when it comes to armor.

I wasn't terribly surprised by the bulky stuff considering they looked to be following a Jim Lee aesthetic. Doesn't mean I'm likely to use it, but I know it's something he does. As for the physical look of his characters, body sliders would most likely disrupt the look on those characters to the point that they would look out of place with all the other Jim Lee aesthetics already in place.

I think sliders could come into place in some form but they'd probably be pretty limited, both to keep as true as possible to the design aesthetic and not warp the armor/clothing designs too much.
  2. Echo Blue Committed Player

Hello everyone,

Good point. You have me there, not to mention all the animal skin types.
  3. Echo Blue Committed Player

Hello everyone,

You have a valid point with the DNA angle.
    • Like x 1
  4. DC Urban Committed Player

animals have a place in this dc universe I will buy them but it still seems weird tho.

dc universe online can reach city of hero levels of variety but they just lack variety. default human head skins in city of heroes are replaced by exotic heads skins. how is that different from dcuo? dcuo needs to add more exotic variety of skin styles through specific body part pieces. this game has been on the verge of customization greatest it is about time they break through with more variety. we dont even need races or new default skins.

after the account wide takes place the shared styles should be added to the character creation menu from the start. you all have been saying for years now that styles are were the money is and they finally listened with TC.

they have only been interested in introducing human skins but I put a word in for the q&a tomorrow which wont get an answer but at least I tried:p
  5. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

You right this game don't need those new skins or animal bodies, and that is why plares are subscribed to chamipions online and not here lol.
  6. DC Urban Committed Player

prolly lol

in your opinion which game is better or has more potential to be better? I will say dc universe online has more potential because we just need more style variety of parts. champions online has a slew of issues plaguing it. for now there is no best of the two to where they separate themselves from one another by a sizable margin. dcuo can separate itself from co by giving us more variety of parts so ppl like the op can create aliens or animals.
  7. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

I think this game messed up with only making 3 body types, limiting powers to one role, and making both weapons and powers mandatory for proper damage, Co on the other hand has everything I expect out of a superhero game, but like you stated they are both kinda equal but champs has a litlle bump imo.
  8. DC Urban Committed Player

agreed here. if we are going toe to toe, tick for tac champions online has more going for it. dcuo cannot compete with co on the level of power and parts variety. co even has city of heroes beat in that department
    • Like x 1
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

They did kinda remedy that by splitting the three body types into a further three sub-types
  10. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

I guess if you want to only factor height differences lol.
  11. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

But since this is the forum of dcuo, I would say combat mechanics hands down with this game lol.
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Tripling the body-types is still something
  13. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

thats what has annoyed me the most about this game the most. Lack of creativity and customization possibilities. Sure we have alot of styles but out of all those styles how many are either superman themed, amazonian, or bulky armor? Exactly almost all of it is in 1 of those categories lol

Then theres the lack of actually good skins and body types in this game 2 major things that limit players from customizing their characters how they want. But sadly if we were to get anything good for skins, body types or anything like that it'd be in a booster bundle or time capsule with horrible drop rates instead of putting them on the market place.

EDIT: I know this isnt what you asked for but it annoys :(

I have made a half horse / half demon I guess thats different yes?
    • Like x 1
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Personally I have to give the edge to DCUO, not because I'm posting here (LOL) but because CO couldn't hold me.

I played CO from launch and invested more than a fair amount of time, effort and money into the game, and I did enjoy it. I even kept playing it alongside DCUO after this game launched.

But only for a while. The more I played DCUO, the less time I spent in CO. And it wasn't because DCUO was the new/shiny game on the block, it was because DCUO was more fun to play. It didn't take long before I stopped my sub for CO and spent all my time here. I haven't even seriously tried playing CO since, even after they went free-to-play.

CO has its fair points, but overall DCUO to me is the better game.
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That ends up being kind of a catch-22 for the devs, though. Given the setting there'd be a strong likelihood of players complaining and constantly asking for Superman or Amazonian-themed gear if it wasn't available and the devs had simply gone with more generic styles as rewards. The devs end up having to pull off a balancing act with being pulled one way by player wishes/demands and being pulled another by what DC wants/mandates for the game, and I can't imagine that being a super fun time in dealing with that.

The bulky styles I just figure are part of the Jim Lee aesthetic they seem to be following. :D Like I said earlier, if you look at his art over the years he's never been afraid to go bulky and/or elaborate with his armor designs/styles.
    • Like x 1
  16. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

I get that same effect with the other way around, the more I play dc the more I watched the movies from dc, the more I ask my self were can I make a Kryptonian or a martian that's legit, then the more I ask for variety from this game, the more I want to play champions online, which is why im still subscribed, I just want more and this game only offers more ways to make money off of me and others.lol
  17. the solowing Steadfast Player

it was for it to fit inline with the lore..though lantern powers throw a monkey wrench in the works
    offtopic: OH ITS YOUUUUU
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Which 'me' harassed you in the game?
  19. the solowing Steadfast Player

2 consonants, orange text, and D and V :p
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Oh, thought you meant you had been harassed by one of me in the actual game