Stats Revamp: Power Costs

Discussion in 'Stats Revamp Archive' started by Mepps, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hi all,

You have pointed out and we agree that when building new loadouts, it is important to be familiar with each ability's relative power cost. This is something that most players learn over time intuitively, and something that could be communicated better in-game. Noted, and we're checking into possibilities there.

For now, for the purposes of testing, we want to share which abilities fall into which general power-cost buckets, so that you can better plan your loadouts without having to experiment with what's changed. This is important to know when assembling loadouts, and will impact what you want to do based on what playstyle you prefer.

For example, if all of your abilities are high power cost, you will run out of power very quickly - and that might be fine if you're aiming to swap to weapon attacks frequently or have controllers on point, or you might instead want to slot in medium and low cost options if you want to use weapon attacks less frequently or if you are playing without a controller nearby.

Electricity

High Power Cost
    • Bio-Capacitor
    • Electrocute
    • Electrostatic Bomb
    • Voltaic Bolt
    • Wired
    Medium Power Cost
    • Arc Lightning
    • Attract
    • Electroburst
    • Electrogenesis
    • Galvanize
    • Ionic Drain
    • Overcharge
    • Repulse
    • Static Push
    • Tesla Ball
    Low Power Cost
    • Bioelectric Surge
    • Flux
    • Shockwave
    • Spark Barrage
    • Tesla Blast
    Ice

High Power Cost
    • Avalanche
    • Frost Blast
    • Ice Bash
    • Wintry Tempest
    Medium Power Cost
    • Bitter Winds
    • Glacier Flash
    • Ice Boulder
    • Ice Boulder Strike
    • Impaling Ice
    • Reflection
    • Resonating Gale
    • Snow Devil
    • Winter Ward
    Low Power Cost
    • Arctic Gust
    • Frost Slam
    • Frost Snipe
    • Inescapable Storm
    • Snowball
    Mental

High Power Cost
    • Ambush: Pain Blast
    • Menace
    • Phantom Flames
    • Telekinetic Bolt
    Medium Power Cost
    • Cryokinesis
    • Horrific Visage
    • Invisibility
    • Mass Terror
    • Psychic Empowerment
    • Psychic Prison
    • Pyrokinesis
    • Reflect Pain
    • Telekinetic Pull
    • Terrorize
    Low Power Cost
    • Ambush: Sleep
    • Grandeur
    • Mass Levitation
    • Psychic Shock
    • Telekinetic Push
    • Telekinetic Shield
    • Telekinesis
    • Terror Tendrils
    Atomic

High Power Cost
    • Geiger Blast
    • Proton Remedy
    Medium Power Cost
    • Density
    • Fracture
    • Atom-Powered Assault
    • Electron Flare
    • Geiger Beam
    • Ionizing Eruption
    • Unleash Anti-Matter
    • Neutron Bomb (medium cost combo starter)
    Low Power Cost
    • Atomic Reorginization
    • Particle Beam
    • Anti-Matter Bomb
    • Irradiate
    • Radiation Shower
    • Neutron Explosion (low cost combo)
    • Atom Splitter (combo starter)
    • Nuclear Burst (combo starter)
    • Thermochemical Explosion (combo starter)
    • Beta Surge (combo starter)
    Combo Power Cost
    • Atom Fragmentation (combo)
    • Nuclear Blast (combo)
    • Thermochemical Detonation (combo)
    • Beta Flood (combo)
    Gadgets

High Power Cost
    • Stealth: Surprise Attack
    • Paralyzing Dart
    • EMP Pulse
    • Suppressor Turret
    • Vortex Cannon
    Medium Power Cost
    • Battle Display
    • Cryo-field
    • Fear Gas
    • Gauss Grenade
    • Neural Neutralizer
    • Holographic Decoy
    • Photon Blast
    Low Power Cost
    • Cuff 'em
    • Implosion Mine
    • Stealth
    • Thermite Mine
    • Defibrillator
    • Taser Pull
    • Distract
    • Napalm Grenade
    • Stasis Field
    • Sticky Bomb
    No Power Cost
    • Self-Destruct Signal
    Sorcery

High Power Cost
    • Invocation of Renewal
    • Condemn
    Medium-High Power Cost
    • Circle of Protection
    • Circle of Destruction
    Medium Power Cost
    • Soul Siphon
    • Summon: Watcher
    • Summon: Fury
    • Summon: Guardian
    • Soul Well
    • Soul Storm
    • Karmic Backlash
    • Weapon of Destiny
    • Offering
    • Final Ruin
    • Karmic Suspension
    • Soul Barrage
    • Ritualistic Word
    Low Power Cost
    • Rejuvenate
    • Transmutation
    • Boon of Souls
    • Vengeance
    • Like x 8
  2. ChillCat Loyal Player

SUPER GREAT!!!
  3. Celestial Powers Committed Player

Why not take it a step further and actually display the Base Value power cost in the description of all powers? Tell us the multiplier per CR so we can math up our own conclusions in our loadouts?

Also adding the cooldown to the descriptions would be nice too. (Which still need to be reduced for healing - See my million and one posts regarding elec on the feedback thread x) )
    • Like x 12
  4. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

This is a great progress.
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Thank you for this post! We appreciate it and it helps a lot!

I gotta agree with Celestial Powers, if possible, can we have the base power cost and cooldown? This does help us understand a good loadout scenarios. Penryn's cheat sheet was very effective for me testing mental.

Which brings up the same result I had said in the mental thread. Right now, even if you switched to all low power cost options, you still have to spec completely to power. And then spam the lowest options. I feel that the damage still will be subpar with the other two options you have. It is definitely completely opposite of what we have now.
    • Like x 2
  6. jeffmallet Well-Known Player

I believe there was a post once, where the devs discovered the UI had a character limit to power descriptions. It was during the Atomic reveal livestream maybe. More info on power costs would be greatly appreciated, but I'm not sure it's possible?
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We're looking into doing this/similar things in-game.
    • Like x 8
  8. Ringz Dedicated Player

Just to add in, that would also mean to change the descriptions for the power cooldown reduce time mods. Just saying "10% reduction" the average player won't know what that means nor know how to do the math to get the base number.

If the description of the power cooldowns are likely to be added, just a reminder to change the mods also. A small thing to make things more understandable.
    • Like x 1
  9. supalova20 Well-Known Player

Mepps...this is exciting and I use electric and weapons currently because it is fun and skillful work....it really makes you feel like your electric dps ing if you are a weapon and power user.....but here is my idea.....if WIRED is gonna be a high power cost then please make the buff last for the whole 12second cooldown....you cant get off weapon damage in 6seconds ...talked with other peeps that have been keeping ELECTRIC (still since day one)alive in the game and alot of the electric community agree that the WIRED buff and the other powers weapon buff needs to be THE WHOLE 12 SECOND cooldown....please think about it.....if it's gonna be power heavy then I rather a trade off of a whole 12 second cooldown......

positive feedback from a vet since beta...I still push electric never changed it.....soooooo looking forward to the revamp progress....
    • Like x 1
  10. Only Forever Level 30

So without PI and without sparring target its hard to create lodout. and without AM you just forcing us to use weapons :(
  11. HoiiowDreamz Dedicated Player

But yet it returns power for essentially 0 cost...
  12. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

what i can hit i don't have any stats into power all my stats are in my Might and Crit's.

Note: i am doing this without a troll.

i can hit,note this is a list of everything i could think of to get out my bar after doing each one my bar was empty.
    5 low power cost and 1 Medium.
    2 low power cost and 2 Medium.
    1 Large and 1 Medium and 1 Low.
    4 Small and 1 Large.

Note: not all these are dps powers.

i did try different things such as:
    4 Low and 2 Mediums was out of power.
    3 Lows and 2 Mediums wasn't out of power but did not have enough to hit my 2 Medium spell.
    1 Large 2 Medium was out of power before i could hit my 2 Medium.
    5 Low into a 1 Large didn't not work did not enough power to hit my Large spell.
    As for hitting 6 lows not possible considering we dont have 6 low power besides mental.
  13. Hale Well-Known Player

Why is this exciting news did I misread something
  14. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

It's news because Some Players like BumblingB and myself are struggling to maintain power on test with the Current Power-regeneration.

Despite us specing into Power, we couldn't maintain it.

With this list of High, Meds, and Low Power cost we can better determine a rotation and see if the power-regeneration capabilities are good enough to work with in all forms of content.

Hope this clears that up :)

-Jacob dragonhunter
    • Like x 2
  15. Ringz Dedicated Player

I would say even though you can already make out what powers cost high or those that doesn't. The better news is that it seems they are really considering putting in descriptors for power cost and cooldown timers if they have mepps having to make a post like this. Not as big news as saying we're buffing elec and nature on live for the fun of it, but knowing power costs and CDs is a major thing for loadout creations, guide updates, math on how much powerto spec while doing rotation x1.
    • Like x 2
  16. Shin-O-B Developer

Quick update: Telekinesis and Terror Tendrils will have a Low Power Cost and reduced Cooldown in the upcoming push to Test!
    • Like x 3
  17. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

This would be awesome.
    It would help the player base understand the game a lot better if you put numbers on everything. Not everyone knows how to figure out the calculations. Being able to look and cross reference numbers within the game would help immensely. Besides helping testers find issues that someone might have missed.
  18. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

Dps wise. Again i am full crits and rest of my SP are into might.

Mental:

3 low and 1 Medium,
    Massive Levitation Telekentic Push, Mass terror,Physic shock.
    don't have enough power to go get another Medium and don't have another small to do dmg.

3 low and 1 Large.
    don't have enough power to put a medium inside the loadout to hit, and as before don't have any more small that do anymore dmg.
    Rotation is Levitation Telekntic push, physic shock, and Telekinetic bolt.

if you notice i ran out of power with 1 medium is strange to me cause shouldn't two medium make 1 large?

idk.. i'm confuse like crazy right now, some base values would be nice.
  19. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

thank you for letting us now that.
  20. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

• Power cost for abilities still feel too high. I'm only using two abilties for ice: One low, and one Medium: These being Resonating gale and Arctic gust(Sometimes I'll use snowball if I get interrupted) But the point is I can't get through one rotation in the Faust boss fight without resorting to using weapons. I've died at least 3 times on this boss fight due to this problem.
    • Using Breakouts are going to interfere heavily with said rotations. There are a number of times you'll find yourself CC'd and you spend a good amount of Power having to breakout. This is problematic because you need that power to sustain your DPS if your playing from the tray(Can't speak for weapons because I haven't tested that out yet)

My Character has 55 sp in both power and might, with the rest of the SP maxing out my crit chances and crit damage.

Sidenote: If you developers can confirm how much SP you'll need to spec into power to get enough to sustain your rotations, that'd be greatly appreciated.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.