The New Harley Quinn - Rerecorded

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Torikumu, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Sivulla Dedicated Player

Maybe they should look talent elsewhere than Rooster Teeth
    • Like x 1
  2. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

After viewing the videos, I have to say, Ms Brown's portrayal seems now more reserved than before and it's still not a good thing. I am not trying to be negative to her voice acting, I'm sure she can do other characters in the game but she just can't do Harley.

Everyone always suggest Tara Strong but there have been other actress who voiced Harley.
    • Like x 2
  3. AccelT Well-Known Player

They could've at least matched the timing in some cutscenes with the new lines and not have that awkward silence between the NPCs. Now they'll have to rework those instances based on something that's technically wrong.
    • Like x 1
  4. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

This recordings are very bipolar. Both goes to the extremes. First one was too hyper, screaming and annoying. The rerecording is like slow, calm and depressive.

Harleys attitude should go attuned with the Jokers of Mark Hamill. The voice actress should aim to mimic an attitude worth of being The Jokers Sidekick. If you go too depressive The Joker will go "Why so serious???" and will kill you. If you go too hyper, you'll be stealing The Jokers show and he will kill you.

The actress has the voice. Is just a matter of maintaining the correct mood.

My 2 cents.
    • Like x 1
  5. Balton hero Committed Player

Not to hijack the thread, but...

I don't know why this didn't hit me before, but the thought occurred to me today that there's a bigger flaw in the whole Gotham City Sirens storyline than the voice acting: why is Ivy helping the other two in a heist? Seems out of character for her: Her whole thing is, depending on how you look at it, plant domination of the world or fighting for environmental justice, and neither of those motivations fit with what they have her doing. Yeah, in the New 52 she has a close friendship with Harley(and I thought I read somewhere that someone in a position to do so confirmed they were lovers), but as far as I know, dcuo is based off of pre-new 52....
  6. Beauwight Well-Known Player

I remember all of this from 3 years ago. Change the names a bit and "Harley Quinn" to "Booster Gold" and there ya go.
  7. M1 Garand Well-Known Player

So what is the excuse now for Harley's voice not being in sync with animations?
  8. JasonIsley Devoted Player

Not out of character for her, the continuity before the New 52 she started the group with Harley. Gotham City Sirens is all about "girl power" and bringing Gotham to it's knees.
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Pamela_Isley_(New_Earth)#Gotham_City_Sirens
  9. Magnificent Loyal Player

I tried to give the missus an example of what Harley SHOULD sound like, but they pulled all the great VO's of Arleen's from the carnival area in Gotham. Serious WTF action there.
  10. Wildcat Committed Player

new voice is .. is not Harley..
    • Like x 1
  11. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

They didn't replace Arleen's recordings.

EDIT: Oh ! You mean in the open world ! Yea there are no more Harley quotes there ! What the heck ???
  12. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Darn, looking into Ms Brown's credits she voices Lashina and several npc's in the game but also was in the RWBY web series. The girl has talent and I'm sure she can pull it off, hope the negative feedback didnt affect her enthusiasm to do Harley
  13. bagofboom Committed Player

Well, they have Kevin Conroy who IS (imo) THE Batman. And had Mark Hamil until he retired the character. Do you really think it's financial?
    That's not a sarcastic question (sorry if it seems to be). But do you really believe it's a money thing that they don't have her? You could be (read: probably are) right, just curious.
  14. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Well financing goes a long way because many voice actors are located where the work is for cartoons, anime, and games like in California, Canada, etc. And many voice actors get paid for their time, travel, and room. And since Daybreak is in California, they have more access to voice actors. Only problem is voice actors like Mark Hamill, Kevin Conroy, and Tara Strong who are versatile voice talent and have various projects in their resume usually come with a cost to hire.
  15. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Well should be a piece of cake then ...we have kevin and mark as batman and joker voicing in game... and we have had no issues so far.
  16. Derio 15000 Post Club

New voice is terrible. The old one was already bad and now this. tbh the original one when DCUO first launched was the best voice IMO. Now I am hoping they just stop making new harley content until they get the voice right.
  17. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Well your sort of right, there is no doubt that Daybreak will stick with Conroy for Batman's voice because it's iconic. However, Hamill retired from voice acting and he's presently working on Star Wars so I don't think we'll have any new Joker content with his voice. As for Harley, let Jen Brown work on her voice until she gets it right or look for an alternative. I'm sure there are other voice talent that can fit the bill, heck there are Youtube personalities that do voice work as well.
  18. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

Yes. That was YEARS ago.
    • Like x 1
  19. Lionxoft Committed Player

Where's the creative director in all of this?
    • Like x 1
  20. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

Term re-recording implies Daybreak had her return to record again. While possible, not sure if SJ or other devs may confirm.

I suppose it's also possible that Daybreak just used B-takes that weren't chosen at the first go around.