The graphics engine

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ashtin1979, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ashtin1979 Well-Known Player

I'm just curious as to why the graphics haven't been given a major update considering how long the game has been out now. We know the PS4 and most modern PCS contain the necessary hardware to handle it.

Is the reason because they plan to continue PS3 support for the foreseeable future? If that's the reason then no matter. I was just merely curious was all.

Let's get a real good discussion going on this.
  2. Nicolas Gallardo Committed Player

Reason nº1:

[IMG]
    • Like x 5
  3. Derio 15000 Post Club

The ps3 limited RAM and specs in general. Since the ps3 won't get dropped anytime soon. Don't expect a graphics upgrade for a while
    • Like x 2
  4. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Because you can't just "upgrade" the graphics engine. The game was built on Unreal 3. If they wanted to upgrade to Unreal 4, they'd have to rebuild the entire thing on the Unreal 4 engine. It'd be a time consuming process, on par with creating a brand new game/sequel. The only time and cost saving factors would be that the design work is done and the assets (models, textures, sound files etc.) could be recycled. They'd also have to pay royalties to Epic Games.
    • Like x 13
  5. Korlick Loyal Player

Its funny how people keep blaming the PS3 for things like this...its just like Tori said.
    • Like x 5
  6. Karas2016 Dedicated Player

Am I missing something? What is wrong with the current graphics? ?
    • Like x 4
  7. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

I´m not sure that your answer is 100% accurate. For example, World of Warcraft has been using the same Engine since 2004, and the improvements are pretty great IMHO:

My point is that, if they put time (and money) on it, the graphics of DCUO could be improved.
    • Like x 3
  8. DCUO Post Loyal Player

We would all like update graphics for the game, but we all know it won't happen because of the hardware limitations of the PS3. Even if PS3 support was drop, it comes down to financial funding from Columbus Nova. With the dated Unreal Engine 3, the game can still look amazing. For an example look at Marvel Heroes, they use the same engine and can pump out visual updates. They can do that because of funding support and manpower, something DCUO doesn't have.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  9. randomkeyhits Dedicated Player

Both the engine and assets have already been given some serious TLC at least once. I think it was some time in 2013 that they added a lot of effects capabilities and also touched up a lot of assets at roughly the same time. Auras and general volumetric effects were added and I remember the mentor models being changed quite a bit. Changes to the cities and lots of texture work

Its not like the game has stood still. It hasn't.
    • Like x 2
  10. KodyDerp Dedicated Player

Well, it does have a bit to do with the PS3. Unreal engine 4 doesn't support PS3 or Xbox 360.
    • Like x 4
  11. KodyDerp Dedicated Player

#DCUO2
    • Like x 3
  12. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

The engine itself can't just be updated. There is no patch you can install which converts the game to Unreal 4. I assumed that's what the OP was referring to in his post. If this is what he was referring to, then it's accurate.

Those changes to WOW are basically retexturing and remodelling of some of the assets, which would definitely be possible to do in DCUO. But there are a LOT of underwhelming models and textures in DCUO, especially from Pre-DLC9 days, so the amount of work needed to do it would be massive and so this brings up the debate of whether or not it would be time (and money) well spent.
    • Like x 3
  13. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The graphical update was just before the PS4 dropped.
    • Like x 1
  14. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

I know that the Engine cant be updated, but graphic wise there is a ton of things that can be done here on DCUO if they were willing to invest the money. I just wish that this game have more manpower to achieve its real potential.
  15. Abadeer Well-Known Player

If only the IP was theirs, then the community would be able to retexture this out dated thing....

Imagine DCUO in 4K!!
  16. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Like I say, though, would you rather that money be invested into making the ugly Green Lantern adds from the Metropolis City Hall Duo look pretty? or would you rather that time and money be invested into making new, exciting content the best it can possibly be?

For me personally, I'm more excited to see the new environments and such in Amazon Fury Part 3 than I am concerned with whether or not the HIVE Soldiers look as good as the Parademons do.
    • Like x 2
  17. Deathmike Devoted Player

Improve dem graphics devs, c'mon put your backs into it!:mad:

Deathmike out.
    • Like x 1
  18. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

OH please, Trying to compare DCUO with Marvel heroes 2016 is a joke.
    Marvel Heroes 2016 is a Diablo III clone with super heroes. It is not even truely a MMO it's a hack N slash.
    • Like x 1
  19. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

It is mostly the PS3 because I had better graphics on the PC server. Before PC & PS merge I could open my graphics card and tweak the graphics some, now I cannot.
    • Like x 1
  20. DCUO Post Loyal Player

I was talking how the two uses the same game engine and visual graphics updates MH, it receives. Because they have funding and manpower and not a outdated hardware holding them back. Nothing in my post was about gameplay or it being an MMO. Yes MH is a joke, sadly its more popular than DCUO.
    • Like x 1