Development Update: The Stats Revamp

Discussion in 'Stats Revamp Archive' started by Avair, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stärnbock Devoted Player

This is great news for pvp i guess ^^
  2. LT Schmitt Committed Player

I'm advocating for those of use who like the cookie cutter load-outs and want to us just our powers and don't want to use our weapons. I see your point, but I'm just asking why not allow for both was to work fine, I would even say if the AM gave you 1-2% less damage vs powers and weapons combos that would also be fine. I trying to think about those who have no experience with how it was pre AM and how by radically changing it many of them may leave leaving us with an even more depleted base.
  3. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Why don't you just use brawling or Handblasters? Those are basically superpowers as weapons.
  4. LT Schmitt Committed Player

So the answer to balancing powers is to use unbalanced weapons? Should I just use one handed flip also?
  5. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I didn't say anything about balance. I'm just saying that people who don't want to ever use weapons because waving a sword or shooting a rifle isn't very superheroish should look into brawling and Handblasters. Those are superheroish. Almost every legend uses one of the two.
  6. stärnbock Devoted Player

I got 270+ so i will be forced to buy something else than pure dps skills?
  7. kingmasternova Loyal Player

Will you make defense & toughness In one stat.
    So pvp don't mess up the pve damage.
    Also can you make the toggle pvp as a on/off switch in gameplay setting.
  8. Snix Dedicated Player

Looks promising. Might have to re-sub to check this out.
  9. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

I don't know why you think you shouldn't have to use a weapon. Weapons have always been part of the game. Weapons are also part of the DC universe in the comics. Some characters have weapons, some punch and kick. Almost every character uses a weapon/fighting style while also using their super powers or tech.

Before WM and AM, the combat system was fluid and reactionary. You had to think about what you were doing and your choices and actions had consequences. It was a skill based game. The blend of weapon attacks and tray powers was fun. That's not to say it was hard, but the combat was rewarding and you felt in control. It was intuitive and you could improvise. Mindlessly pressing buttons in a sequence is not skill and isn't very engaging. Knowing exactly what actions you have to preform, and in which order, magnifies the repetitive elements of the game. Everything feels the same, nothing is different. The boss may have a different name and move in a different way, but everything you do is the same.

AM allowed for very little variety in loadouts. If you deviated from the AM, you would do significantly less damage. Now, we'll be able to use individual powers that were neglected and ignored by AM. For some powersets, it's going to be like a whole new game, in a good way.

We have no idea what power bar use will be. You may still be able to play from the tray. I doubt they're just going to remove power regen and leave power costs the same. I'd like to see power costs reduced for all roles, then power regen wouldn't be necessary. It definitely shouldn't be restricted to one role.

Removing WM and AM damage bonuses is the best news I've heard in a long time. I can't believe they're actually doing it. Yes, that does mean a lot of updates over the last few years were entirely pointless. But it's better they realize a mistake and correct it, rather than continue down the wrong path.
    • Like x 2
  10. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Wow.
    • Like x 2
  11. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

My constructive input on the newly built UI for powersets:

I (and most people I know) don't like scrolling. I dislike it a lot. To be honest, scrolling in dcuo is really slow scrolling and therefore even more tiresome. In its current state, as could be seen in the video, the powers take roughly 4 full UI screens and therefore a lot of scrolling.

Of course the best thing would be to have just one UI screen in which all powers can be seen and no scrolling is required at all. Which probably would only be possible if you extend the size of that UI screen to full screen (I hope this is the direction the new UI will go, once this project is restarted). Seeing all powers available at one glance would make it easier for Pros and Beginners alike to figure out their power.

If, for some reason, you don't want to extend the UI to full screen size, there's another option. There's really no need for the respective power's icon to be so big, and no need for the level and the power name to be in separate lines. By making the icons smaller and fitting level & power name into the same line, a lot of height/vertical space can be gained and more powers will fit on one screen. I think the size of the icons can be cut down to half of what they are in the current state, because then it would be only slightly bigger than the level font. That would mean "just" two pages of scrolling instead of 4.

It could look like this. (row & icon size reduced to 61%, rest is 100%)
    The icons are still clearly distinguishable, and since the fonts remain at the original size, no loss of readability there.
    [IMG]

PS: Ignore my bad photoshop skills, because I don't actually have photoshop. Blurriness is due to my screen capture program.

An alternative could be to make the loadout UI behave like the powers UI. In the power UI if you hover over a power, the description of that power stays on the left side until you hover over another power. In the Loadout UI, the description appears when you hover a power, but disappears immediately once the mouse cursor leaves that power icon (even if you don't hover another power).
    • Like x 1
  12. Jafin 10000 Post Club

No, Might and Prec can take 170 SP each.
    • Like x 1
  13. Roocck Committed Player

The CR, AM, and Mid-range adjustments did give all players a chance to put out equal damage and on the top a scoreboard. (Versus being ignored and kicked from alerts, raids etc... because of your power and sp)
    Agreed that Electric and Nature was affected, and they were supposed to get a balance as well for some reason the Devs couldn't do it. (Blame the guys that was in charge of fixing it)
    I am one that would defend AM and think that it is a huge mistake removing it. If they do than I guess everyone (those that will stay) should accept it and the crisis to come upon DCUO including trollers when they become once again batteries.
  14. Harlequin Devoted Player

Depending on the stat weight curve of SP, it could put newer players/players with few SP at a greater disadvantage versus long-time players who have farmed a large amount of SP. If too much power comes from SP as a result of these new trees without any catch-up mechanics, don't expect any huge renaissance.
  15. Sooner Well-Known Player

Where is this square key that you are talking about? Triangle? X, okay I hit that, but i don't attack? O pulls up a menu rather than attack. No wonder it gets boring for you. :D

As one who can't stand playing this game on the PS4, and uses an old laptop to play. I kind of like not having to memorize the 20 some odd button pushing pattern to at least be able to attack, and then considering the lag we have with the game those 20 some odd button patterns that depend on timing seem to "break down" at the first site of lag. ;)
  16. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

Yes, however the margin between lowest, mediocre and best dmg loadouts will not be as huge as it used to be with AM. That's the whole point of the update. At least that's how I understood it.
    • Like x 1
  17. Sooner Well-Known Player

Even before AM, there was "cookie cutter" builds. I don't see this as a change. They may like the propaganda of "customize" your alt, but even back then there was if you want the best type of tank use this. Healing? Use this loadout for the best results. Trolling? Use this loadout. The only way I can see them getting away from "cookie cutter" builds for getting the most out of an alt, would be forcing all the powers to do the same thing basically, and then that would definitely be boring.
  18. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Trolls are batteries right now which is why people run alerts without them and never take more than one for a raid group. Anyway from what we know so far, you are mistaken.

I think Mepps confirmed that no mechanics (apart from power return) are being removed - so AMs will still work - and they are updating the vanilla power regen mechanics in a yet to be determined form - making the lack of power return mechanics irrelevant.

Of course they did promise us that WM would be equal to clipping and then AM would be equal to WM, so I can understand that people wouldn't trust them to make them equal this time either. Even if they do, there will always be FOTM builds and there can never be perfect balance.

I do feel like they have an actual solid plan to fix things this time though. They aren't just introducing a new system now without keeping the old in line, they're rebooting all related systems to finally give us a consistent game again. They even explicitly mentioned looking into Trolls being not just batteries but secondary DPS and crowd controllers too.
    Very good points, I thought the same and hope the power selection screen will get improved. On the one hand they say that they are happy we don't have to scroll through the weapon trees anymore but on the other hand they turn the power trees into huge lists? I don't get it.
  19. Harlequin Devoted Player

The mistake I see them making here is with melee being stronger in every case instead of promoting diversity by making some powers specialized as ranged and others specialized as melee with potential being equal for both.
  20. stärnbock Devoted Player

will players be able to still do power attacks only? if the boosts from skills scale as more you get, this is nice for those hwo need to spec either to might or precission alone. but specing into might AND prec, you will get a disadvantage, no? i see an issue there...
    problem solved if there is only one stat boost: dammage, instead of splitting into might and prec...
    however: precission stats mainly for weapons is the way that does makes kinda sense...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.