Any signs of REAL improvements?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by LucidityKJ, Jul 31, 2016.

1. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

They changed the forum ranking thing a while back. I see you're back to "dedicated" now....from memory, you needed to re-log to trigger that.

Is a small SSD an option? I know it was before the PS4 launched, but I put a cheap 60GB one in my PS3 and it made a massive difference. Not as massive as getting the PS4, but at the time it was money well spent.
  2. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

I agree with you in the fact that the PS4 is a way better experience for the player than the PS3. But, and with a big BUT, not all our dreams will come true when the PS3 get dropped. There's another factor that is holding us back and it's close to impossible to change and is "The Unreal Engine". DCUO wasn't programmed and coded from scratch. There are 2 engines that were used to code the game and both of them are super outdated. Worst part is that the amount of code that has been done in the engine is so huge that there's no business on upgrading to the new Engines since most of the code is not compatible and most of it must be reprogrammed.

So, PS3 will cease to be supported one of this days, but when that happen, I'll see a lot of complains about why the system is not performing as dreamed since they drop the PS3. At that point, everybody will start cursing The Unreal Engine version were DCUO was developed.

In the mean time, yes, PS4 is a better experience. But DCUO was developed on an Engine that is older than the PS3 itself.

My 2 cents.
    • Like x 2
  3. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

I repeat: I understand the differences between the PS3 and PS4 completely. You'll never see me complaining that PS4 games can't be played on a PS3. It's common sense why they can't. It's annoying, however, when they advertise a game working on a certain console and then, surprise, it's bugged as hell.
  4. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

Of course, because it's a process and I hope we all get that. But, guess what? They can't upgrade that engine until the PS3 is dropped as the needed engine is too powerful for the PS3 to handle. We wouldn't be having all of this dropping the PS3 talk if they could simply upgrade the engine in the community's current state.
  5. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

You can disable the role optional but no one plays their roles even if you use that option. They should lock people into their roles if they use that feature, and leave it so you can change in role optional. Tank powers are know for this the most. While most content does not require a tank, when it does, finding a person that will play tank that queued as tank is difficult.
    • Like x 2
  6. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

They just haven't dropped it yet. I used to play on a p3 and when I changed to a p4 it was a completely different game. I could actually see what people were killing and I wasn't just healing health bars, but people. So I know your pain. However, your idea of just because they support it,....it shouldn't have problems is flawed, in the sense anyone can play it on a computer, and lag like crazy if they have an inferior one.....But they too have to upgrade to keep playing.

I agreed with your other points though.
  7. LucidityKJ Dedicated Player

Well, a PC isn't a standard item. A PS3, generally speaking, is. I'd be willing to bet that almost everybody on here has different specs for their PC. As for PS3 users? Well, a PS3 is made the same way every time. Are there newer and older PS3s? Sure, but it's not like a PC that can and should be upgraded consistently.

If the game was advertised to work on Windows and didn't work for me, I would easily assume something was wrong with my computer. GPU not up to par, RAM too low, etc.

A PS3 is a PS3. If you support a PS3, it should play on a PS3.
    • Like x 1
  8. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

It does play on PS3. But the PS3 has limits.
  9. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

To be fair to the devs they have actually tried their best over the years to keep DCUO functioning on PS3. That includes holding back improvements to the game because PS3 cant handle it. I also remember seeing things about open world improvements & base loading time improvements for example, changes have been made, and the devs are trying. I think if PS3 is still having all these issues then thats down to the PS3 and not the effort of the devs
  10. oasenhoheit Loyal Player

From Tier 6 on.
    Themyscira Divided (aka AF1) was the first Content with unattuned loot.
    Assault and Battery (aka WotL1) still had attuned role-specific gear drop.
  11. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

clearly we're all at fault.

how dare people keep playing when everyone should stop and wait for you to tell them what to do?

the devs should immediately remedy the situation with a hotfix to oracle informing us you are now the most important person on the server and when you log off we should too because without you the game just doesn't matter.
  12. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

I'm sorry, apparently I didn't explain clearly. Is not that "They can't upgrade that engine until the PS3 is dropped...", take that out of your wishlist, is more like "They won't upgrade the engine". No matter if you drop the PS3 today or even if the PS3 was dropped yesterday. They don't have the millions of dollars and the years of development that takes to upgrade that engine. Upgrading the engine to the point of where DCUO is now developed is making a completely new game from scratch again.

Before you continue on the argument, let's share with you some very basic technical analysis. First, Do you know what the Unreal Engine is? If not, go to http://www.unrealengine.com and then come back to have an intelligent conversation. Second, Do you know that DCUO was coded on top of the version 3 of the Unreal Engine? If not, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games and don't forget your way back to continue the conversation. Third, Do you know that the Unreal Engine version 3 was released in the year 2004 and doesn't require much of a hardware? If not, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine#Unreal_Engine_3 and now we can start having an argument.

DCUO was developed in the Unreal Engine 3 that was released in the year 2004 when Windows XP was the Microsoft Operating System and Windows Vista wasn't even released (Vista was released in the Year 2007). The PlayStation 3 was released in November 11, 2006.

Ok, so we are talking about an engine that is 12 years old. The limitations of that engine has been push to the limits with DCUO. In an interview that Jens Andersen got he stated that DCUO development took Millions of Dollars of dedicated Software Development (money that they don't have available right now). On top of that, it took years of development. Before the release of the first Beta Version, it took years.

Again and with no hate intended, I'm just trying to help you see the information clearly. It won't happen even if they drop the PS3. They don't have the budget nor the time. They can push a little more, but not that much.

TLTR: To make a DCUO that will look and feel like the requested quality the players are expecting the game must be make new from scratch. Did you know that Everquest upgraded to Everquest 2 and all the game was done a new. Well they'll have to take it further for DCUO if they want to create a game on a new engine.

My 2 cents.
  13. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

So, now you want to take a shot at trying to insult my intelligence; really? I don't need to read your little history report to understand their marketing ploys. I've been in this game since Feb 2011, I'm very much aware of the Unreal engine that drives this game. Doesn't matter how you say it, the PS3 CANNOT handle the necessary upgrade to maximize this games fullest potential. Which, is the only point that has to be made while we await this process of dropping the PS3. They can't do anything until that happens and too much of the community is holding us back from that, which includes you. And you really believe they don't have the money considering the gross amount they've accumulated from what players have invested in this game? That's funny. Thanks for your worthless 2 cents filled with redundancy.
  14. ChromeWarriorXTC Loyal Player

Damn 2 pages and I am still getting over he paid for a free month :(
    • Like x 2
  15. seek76 Committed Player

Raven gear from GW is un-attuned and I believe was before AF1. Un- attuned gear starts in tier 4 now. The duos added in tier 4 last year have un-attuned gear drops.
  16. Backseid Devoted Player

No.

The Devs are well aware of everything we gripe about. They too would love for it all to be fixed.

Mepps has commented, at one time or another, on most every subject, and said as much.

But no, we won't see much of anything till 2017. Least of all the topics you mentioned. Hell, we're not getting any new content for the next 5-6 months. Lol
  17. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

I'm not an experrt, but probably because content has expanded & your PS3 is still the same hardware that it was when you bought it. I don't think devs can actually do much about that.
    It's actually a miracle that a 2011 game runs on hardware from 2006 at all.
  18. Backseid Devoted Player

It's funny how people seem to forget that less than 3 years ago, PS3 was the best. It hasn't been very long at all.
  19. ChromeWarriorXTC Loyal Player

This is 2016
  20. Backseid Devoted Player

Yeah. The PS4 came out just before Xmas 2013 right? Or should I be Googling before speaking? Lol
    • Like x 2