Atomic or HL

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by boredbean, Apr 7, 2016.

1. boredbean Level 30

Hey all, I know threads like this are kinda frowned upon, but, I like both these power sets and i'm trying to decide which one to apply to my main. So, I was hoping to find out how far apart these two are on the DPS meter. Are they really close or is one far superior? Also, what is more sought after, controller or tank?

Thank you for any input!
    • Like x 1
  2. Ready2Rise Level 30

Well, depends on how you like to dps. I personally like to be mobile so atomic is not my go to for dps. That being said I believe both are identical in strength if same level of skill is applied. As far as what I see a lack of in lfg, I'm going to say to tank plain and simple.
  3. Gimpy Loyal Player

Make a toon of both and level them to 30.

You will know which one you want to change to rather quickly.
  4. VioletSorceress Committed Player

Tanks are more sought after than trollers and Atomic is better dps than Light.
    Just use 1234 rotation for adds and melee combos for bosses. You can beat Light dps with equal skill without problems. #balance :D
  5. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I play both and I like both. One is precision base, Light, and the other is Might, Atomic. The other thing to consider is the non damage role. Light is a Controller and Atomic is tanking. With end game being the way it is, you should have an armory for your main to play both roles. With that said, do you prefer Tanking or Trolling.

Both powers do better than most in non-damage for damage. With the number of pugs in the game that are just horrible as DPS, I can play my non-damage role with Atomic or Light and keep up with the lowest DPS or surpass them.
  6. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I would state yes with most Light DPS as most use the rotation from DCUOBlogGuide which is WRONG!
    • Like x 1
  7. Derio 15000 Post Club

The real question is tank or troller?
  8. boredbean Level 30

Hmm..that just so happens to be my current loadout too :oops: Care to share what the best ranged DPS loadout and rotations are, please :D
  9. Swiftduck Loyal Player

HL for sure.

We need more ring slingers out there.
  10. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Use the Light Guide in these forums, it is so much better. In fact, the loadout they recommend is the one I have been using since the first Light update back in December 2014.

As for rotation, well, again towards the end of the guide there are post about this as well.
    • Like x 1
  11. Roomba Dedicated Player

Check email both out. They really do play completely difderently.

If you're comparing the two purely for combos... I'll take atomic over HL for countering purposes. In a 1v1 fight, I think it's much easier to react to your opponent with atomic. With hl, you pretty much already have it in your head how you're going to dps, given the set chaining of attacks. With atomic, I always have at least 1 range and 1 melee combo on deck to keep my opponent on his back.
  12. Soul Dedicated Player

If you're talking about PvP, Atomic is better for a 1v1/2v2 situations for 2 simple reasons:

1. Certain Atomic powers still act as counters even in PvP, whereas HL's were fixed for PvP.
    2. Survivability - both Fire and Atomic are pre-support role revamp for PvP, so they over-heal and self sustain even in Dps role.
  13. Here2Help Devoted Player

Don't worry about the DPS side, ask yourself if you want to be a tank or troll, and to answer your second question, tanks are always needed, especially good ones.
  14. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Each can deal a similar range of damage. They don't deal it in the same way.

Light is a Precision based power. The majority of the damage you'll do will be white precision based damage. It can be very mobile but has a bit of a learning curve. The melee rotations are point blank melee.

Atomic is a might based power set(it also can use aura's but most people use the 1234 set up). That can be a very fun power to use. I'd wager its a bit simpler to use.

As far as support roles go Tanks and Controllers are always needed(healers too for that matter). Each can use the damage via the AM in support stance fairly easily. That should be the focus for the player though.

Personally I like Light. But a lot of players don't want to have to be at point blank range to achieve 7 M damage. As far as what support role is more sought after that's going to vary based on players friends list. Each support role is fairly sought after compared to the other.