Been practicing, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Feb 19, 2016.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

You sure you need to look for an artist to bring Bern's adventures to life? o_O
  2. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

[IMG]

Much appreciated sir. My problem is consistency and colors. I just got some Prismacolor markers [chisel tip and bullet tip] but they seem to work well. I am hoping to get some more alcohol based art markers soon with brush tips so I can work on some of this stuff. I need to work more on female forms and backgrounds. Those seem to be the most difficult for me right now. Also, my confidence in the art piece isn't where I would like to feel comfortable putting it out there in comic form.
    • Like x 1
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Maybe start with doing your own scene breaks (instead of using images from the game), basic backgrounds and simple poses, instead of trying to do a comic story, do an old fashioned prose story with illustrations (which you have been doing, just with your own art)
    • Like x 1
  4. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

What I did was find a comic artist I liked (Jim Lee) and copy that female pose over and over to get a sense for it. The middle female is from a WildCATs comic, and the 2nd page the elf female on the bottom right is my own free form using that body type. Repetition is all it takes.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

With a female body form, it pays to figure out first what 'size' she is, then decide on her shape (muscled, toned, fit, out-of-shape, etc. ), then figure out what your style is going to be like ('realistic' or 'cartoony')

Do a lot of studying of the female form in all it's delightful variations, if anyone asks you what you are doing, just tell them "Research for art" :D
    • Like x 1
  6. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I have always loved Jim Lee's work. I also am a fan of Mcfarland as well. Actually most of those guys from the early days of Image I liked [say what you will about Liefeld]. Anywho, I really do aspire to something even remotely close to those first two [Lee and McFarland]. I have been reading and looking at a lot of stuff and since reading The Maxx, I am thinking something along those lines of a style like Julie from The Maxx
    [IMG]
    I could kind of see Bern and Ann having a panel somewhere similar to this. The style has enough detail to satisfy what I envision for the story, but at the same time isn't too detail oriented to scare me off from trying it. I kinda envision Ann looking something like this
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

I cannot draw. At all. Always amazed at those that can and what they create. It's a true gift.
    • Like x 2
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That's kinda what meant by 'cartoony'
    • Like x 1
  9. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Ok, so I am going to give it a go......at points in this week and over the weekend I am going to look at the panel layouts I have for the script I worked up and I am going to try ti draw some of the first couple of panels. If I have time I will also work up a concept sketch for Ann also. Thank you all for your support, and encouragement. I know I am not the only one around here with these goals of writing a comic/story and having it published and so I say you those out there, keep at it, it will happen.
    • Like x 2
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Like many others (even the silent ones :p), looking forward to see what you come up with :D
    • Like x 2
  11. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

So here we go. Another batch of stuff I have been working on and practicing with.
    Bernie
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Robot/Mech
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Spawn
    [IMG]

Iron Man
    [IMG]

Infinity Gauntlet
    [IMG]

Gouken
    [IMG]

Adrian Hodges
    [IMG]
    Some of these I tried using some prismacolor markers I got. Limited color selections but I am going to be getting a whole bunch of alcohol based markers for the B-day coming up so I will have more color options and blending practice.
    • Like x 4
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Nice Robo, what is that emblem or symbol on it's left shoulder? o_O
  13. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Thanks. It's just an emblem/symbol that I made up.
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Is it going to be like a Unit emblem? Or something unique for that robot?
    • Like x 1
  15. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I had thought about it and am not against that at all. the reference image I used for the robot had something on the shoulder and I just did my own adaptation of it and did consider making that the emblem for Bern.

By the by, did you check out the new read?
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Oh, no, didn't mean Bern, meant Unit as in a squad (knew there would be confusion over that :oops: )

No, haven't really had the chance, been a bit of a rough couple days and after reading the first chapter had to stop, will get back to it when in a better frame of mood
    • Like x 1
  17. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Ah, I see what you mean. I don't know, Just kinda was looking to fill in the space and made up a symbol. Could be a squad emblem if I do more of them and come up with some meaning to it.

Ok. Hopefully things are getting better or going as well as they can. Might be a silly/unnecessary question but it wasn't the first chapter that put you in a bad mood was it?
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No, just have periods of depression, sometimes they are worse than others (they may have 'prettified' it by giving it a 'safe' name, but for me, it's still 'manic depressive')
  19. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Bored at work today, playing around with Prismacolor makers
    [IMG]
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

May need to add a little colour to his arms, to show that he has rock lava skin, at the moment it looks like his arms have been mangled or squeezed (specially his left arm)