Enough with the Steph Curry already...

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Malachyte, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Free reality check: even the current Pistons were enough to stop that Warriors this season, and they are nowhere near the good ol' bad boys.
    • Like x 1
  2. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

I assume we're talking about the teams at there best not some random game from any particular season, the Pistons "Bad Boys/Jordan Rules" era defense primarily concentrated on forcing Jordan to the middle where a big guy could give a hard foul when he attacked the rim. It stopped working when Jordan began to be a prolific mid-range shooter and when Scottie Pippen became his no.2.

The Warriors are more of a outside/in perimeter team, they don't really rely on paint penetration... Aside from Draymond or Bogut posting to initiate offense. From what I've seen most teams will try to go "small" with the Warriors as it doesn't seem like going "big" helps defensively.
  3. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Detroit won "big" at home and lost short away against the Warriors this season, and other than against Dallas Warriors had their guys around in those matches. So it's not that random.

About the "Bad Boys" - as you said, they played Jordan rules against Jordan. They didn't play Jordan rules against other teams and they won back-to-back championships. What makes you assume they would have played Jordan rules against Curry who is no Jordan? Pistons had to deal with Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Micheal Jordan in that time and they didn't defend Bird or Magic with Jordan rules either. (Not talking Drexler as most kids here would need to look him up anyway....)

Unless Curry has at least his third ring, it's just talk now. And hype.
    • Like x 1
  4. Delta796th Loyal Player

Not a huge NBA fan but when the Cavs and GS.met this year and the Cavs were at full strength the got embarrassed. I think your giving GS too little credit.

PS I agree on the no defense comment and it is one of the reasons I know longer watch.
  5. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

They defended Bird?;) Anyways I'm not trying to slag on the Pistons, I just don't think they were built to defend against a perimeter team like the Warriors.

Win a title and it's still hype? Now he needs three rings to be legitimate... I doubt even with three rings it'll matter because they will just bring up the different eras. Nevermind, that the Warriors play some of the best team basketball outside of San Antonio in any era.:)
    [IMG]
  6. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

If the media guys say "he's a great player" it's not a hype now. All proven - he is a great player. If they say "he's the GOAT" he has to deliver. And "team" basketball is usually not a proof for exceptional individual class of one player in that team ;) The whole point of thread is about Curry being praised high for things he didn't do yet. He at least turned his potential into a title - unlike Durant. Yet, he needed other players around him to pull that off. Last season's Warriors without Thompson? No title. This thread was never about Curry being a bad player. This was about the GOAT hype. Great player? Yes, he's proven that. GOAT? Nope. More titles, MVP, more constant performance output and over a longer period of his career than just about 2 seasons. I'm in no way saying I'mm sure he can't do that. I'm just saying I want to see that before he can enter a serious GOAT discussion. Anything GOAT around Curry is hype as of now. If the Curry fanbois don't get that difference to their heads - not my problem :p
    • Like x 2
  7. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Well imo, I think this thread is about a Cav's fan that's still a bit salty... ;) I wouldn't even call Steph GOAT without quantifiers, like being on pace to be an all-time great three-point shooter. Everything he's accomplished so far has already more than exceeded most expectations, the hype train for me is simply about enjoying what he's doing in today's game, and not trying to put a 6 year career into historical context just yet.
  8. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

That's the problem when the "of all time" aspect is brought up. Quantifiers help, a competitive team helps as well. Jordan without Pippen? Showtime Lakers without Rambis for the "dirty" work? Probably less successful. There is however so much that can happen - Curry changing teams, or one of his important teammates changing teams, or the Bulls playing 2 seasons without injuries ;) Who knows, he might turn out the player Golden State builds a legacy on. Or he might be the Lakers' next superstar following after Kobe retires. In the latter case, some of the guys now going "GOAT" will prolly start badmouthing ;)
    • Like x 1
  9. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Kinda Like LeBron James? Every sport does this. Its called marketing. Something about Basketball that hangs its hat on one name. Been happening since Jordan., then Shaq, Kobe, LeBron etc.... Its why I pretty much lost interest in Basketball
    • Like x 1
  10. Drathmor Unwavering Player

11. Boscohark Well-Known Player

Not a huge NBA fan. But it should be noted that just a couple of weeks ago that the Warriors beat Cleavland...with Lebron...with all his team healthy...at home in Cleavland...by 30 points.
  12. Vyltran Loyal Player

Burnnnnn Curry's fake fansss noww!!... :mad:
  13. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

The only think I like about Curry is that I want my son to play more like him that Lebron. I told me son if you want to make it into the NBA then better play more like Curry because our family aren't known for being past 6"3". (Lebron is my son favorite player) My team is the Orlando Magic that should tell you my taste in basketball lol....
    • Like x 3
  14. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

[IMG]

Walking the ball up the floor with 6 secs left and hitting 30+ ft game winners like it's routine.

Oh, he also tied the NBA record with 12 3-pointers in a single game and that's after hitting 10 in the previous game. This was also the end of a 6 game road trip in which they won 5...
  15. La Shark Dedicated Player

Lol. OKC fans didn't have time to become anxious before the dagger went in.

Warriors now have clinched their playoff spot now, in February.

In freaking February!

Unbelievable.
    • Like x 1