Enough with the Steph Curry already...

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Malachyte, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Malachyte Devoted Player

I
    Maybe that was my fault of not explaining myself better. I wasn't comparing SC to TD as far as playing ability but achievement-vs-hype. SC and GWS are getting all this hype from 1 championship against a hapless CAVs team decimated by injuries and half a current season and they talking like how SC is on of the GOAT.
    It's a complete joke. When the Bulls went 73-9 the core of the team already won 3 straight titles and probably would have been 6 at that point and maybe 9/10 straight if MJ didn't decide to take a vacation. (This coming from a die-hard Knicks fan BTW, hurts to say that)
    I don't believe GWS will get to 74-8 or better and tbh I don't think they'll beat the Spurs in the playoffs, but we'll see.
    • Like x 2
  2. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Curry not close to MJ. If the 72-10 Bulls played the 2016 GSW in the finals bulls would win in 5 games. If MJ played today, no exaggeration, i believe he would avg 50pts a game. Today Curry is the best basketball player in the world. I just don't believe they are winning the championship this year, because they are playing to hard for the record.
  3. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

I'm pretty sure it's an offshoot of BASEketball.
  4. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

I had to look up Tim Hardaway stats and in no season has he even played remotely as good as Curry has been playing since last season. Keep in mind since Curry is on the Bench by the fourth he is still act close to 30 ppg is absurd I'm pretty much done with this topic debating with people who think Tim Hardway and Lebron of this year is better then Steph. Tim's best year he avg 23ppg on 46% fg shooting 33% from the 3 while playing 41 min per game. Steph Curry 29.7 ppg 51% fg shooting 45% from the 3 all while only playing 33min per game. NOBODY in this era of basketball is doing that.
  5. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Blk bro I don't see a single team able to stop them they are in their prime with a amazing team that's all selfless, Curry out their abusing the Spurs
  6. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

I believe they will run out of gas. Seeing them blowout the spurs and cavs by 30 do give me a little pause though
    • Like x 1
  7. Malachyte Devoted Player

Stats won't tell you how good Tim Hardaway was as he was a true catalyst on multiple teams starting with GWS as a part of RUN TMC and then later on with the Heat. You had to watch them play to see. But he had an amazing cross step and could stop on a dime, pull up and hit any shot from anywhere.
    I should know this because I watched him do it time and time again to my Knicks teams in the mid 90's that were a defensive minded team and were constantly knocking Tim on his *** and he was till make circus shots.The man was simply an amazing shooter off the dribble AND played stellar defense.

I would like to see how good SC would be if the NBA actually put back hand checking and physical defense, no way SC is averaging 30ppg.

He would be, if lucky to be in Tim Hardaway or Reggie Miller's class, but those days are long gone now.
  8. TRELL1 Well-Known Player

Handchecking would possibly take the scoring down. I just think you're greatly overblowing what its effect would be.
  9. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

We sadly don't live in those times I have debates like this all the time with my uncles and such they live and die by Jerry rice but all I got to see was Randy Moss and I seen the most deadly football player in my eyes.
  10. Malachyte Devoted Player

From someone who saw both in their prime, Randy Moss talent wise was far better then Jerry Rice in terms of speed and explosiveness. What Jerry had that Randy didn't was he was an amazing route runner and a knew where to run to to made sure he could YAC. It also helped that Jerry had Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing him the ball and John Taylor opposite side with Roger Craig and Brent Jones.
    The one year Randy had a great QB throwing the ball to him, he put up record number.
    • Like x 1
  11. Malachyte Devoted Player

I don't think so. Hand checking is probably the most effective defensive technique against a perimeter player like SC and KT. Doesn't do much against a post up player, but its like would Calvin Johnson, Dez Braynt and Beckham be like if defenders couldn't lay a hand on them until they actually caught the ball...
  12. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I love you. Anyone who mentions AI as being awesome is okay in my book.

But I disagree. I think he's playing at an unbelievable level on an unbelievably well constructed team. He's doing things on a nightly basis that warrant a lot of media attention. He's not the best player in the world IMO (I'd still take Lebron over him in a heartbeat), but he's doing incredible things.

I'd like to see more media attention on Ish Smith, but I get the Curry love. I don't think he's doing anything that's realistically sustainable over a long period of time, and I think his Ankle will catch up to him eventually, but for now it's fine.
  13. Malachyte Devoted Player

SC without a doubt is a great player, again no one should get me wrong here in my calling SC Jimmy Ferdete or anything. I'm just saying he is being so over hyped now and being compared to some of the greatest who ever played and now being called the greatest shooter of all time is absurd. Especially given how physical defense has been taken out of the game now and those past legends played with having to deal with real defense.
    Imagine how much better AI would have been is he had the lack of defense of today's NBA ?? but as stated before, Its very hard to compare generations and eras but how many fans here think SC was a better shooter then even Reggie Miller ?? much less Larry Bird

Let the kid play at this level for more then 1.5 seasons and win another championship before anointing him of of the all time greats.
    • Like x 1
  14. TRELL1 Well-Known Player

While yes SC and KT are both great shooters Stephs handle is leaps and bounds better than Klay's. So the hand checking wouldn't affect him in the same way.

I agree with you on the GOAT mentions of Steph Curry. It's woefully overblown after a 1.5 years( which in all honesty his season last year was not all that great historically speaking).

I just think analysis gets poor when it boils down to "80-90s were better" or "the current NBA is better". There were lots of rule changes and strategic changes going both ways that changed way the game was/is played.
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Fair points and I can understand where you're coming from. But what they are doing is nothing short of unbelievable. Curry's performance night after night, the team's win/loss record (one of only two NBA teams with single digit losses) and the blowouts in many of their games justify the talk in my view.

No, they haven't built a legacy, that's true. But from all indications, they're well on their way to doing so. No one can seem to stop them. So until or unless they stumble, get tripped up or otherwise show themselves to be human on the court, I just can't discount the talk as mere hype. They'd need to crash and burn HARD for me to see the talk as hype and nothing more.
    • Like x 1
  16. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Clearly as close to Mj in terms of able to dominate a game as people will ever see.
  17. Snix Dedicated Player

What's wrong with Stephen Curry? Besides the fact that he's becoming #GOAT. =P
    • Like x 1
  18. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Is there a more overrated player than LeBron James? He and his whiny Cleveland fans can go straight to hades. I mean, he leaves for Miami, they burn his memorabilia, comes back, and those same clowns who burned his jerseys and stuff were all 'YAAAYYYYY!" when he came back. As for rugby, it's not so tough. When I was a kid we used to play tackle football without pads all the time so I'm not impressed.
    • Like x 1
  19. Pharaoh Dedicated Player

Can't believe you have time to be on a forum. Don't you have a coach to get fired?
    • Like x 1
  20. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Tim Hardaway and Allen Iverson were streak shooters, Steph Curry is a different player he's a pure spot up shooter that can also create his own offense. There's been many great pure shooters in the league but few that can create their own shots the way Curry can, particularly for someone his size. We are seeing a player become a superstar through his play, he wasn't an anointed or hyped superstar before even entering the league like a Lebron James or Kevin Durant. Stephen Curry is basically doing this out of nowhere.

If you're tired of the Stephen Curry coverage than ask yourself what the other NBA superstars are doing that deserve the same "hype"? Harden is too inconsistent coming off a great MVP worthy season, Lebron James team is still gelling, Russel and Durant are rumored to join up in L.A.

And this thing about luck is crazy as everyone knows it's much harder to come out of the West than the Eastern conference. The Cavs aren't even playing that well and they are still projected to come out of the East... The Warriors are playing lights out but they still have a minefield to get through in the West.

The 90's Pistons would be tore up from the perimeter, have you seen Golden State's ball movement? They would run their big men ragged. If anything the Pistons with their big men clogging up the middle are geared to stop someone like Lebron.
    • Like x 2