Coming back to DCUO; what is this CR based DPS?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Little MD, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Little MD Well-Known Player

Hi all,

I'm considering coming back & subbing again to DCUO. I was browsing the forums, and saw something troubling: what is this CR based damage? From the short gist of it, I got the sense that my hard-earned SP will mean close to nothing. e.g. cr100 sp50 ~ cr100 sp200. Is this true????

I mean, I get that diminishing the SP importance will encourage more new players to the game, but what about those that grinded hours and hours for feats/SP?
    • Like x 1
  2. Derio 15000 Post Club

You get nothing. You lose.

Highest CR is based off a complete luck based system as the best CR is only obtainable through drops and vendor gear will still put you 3 CR behind the best which for DPS is a huge damage difference.
    • Like x 4
  3. Little MD Well-Known Player

Oh great. Thanks for the heads up.

I guess I'll hold off on re-subbing until the SP that I managed to get is worth a damn.
    • Like x 2
  4. Controller Devoted Player

NO:)

Reconsider your choice. I'd try the game again - even if for a spell.

If you're a DPS, then CR-based damage is a new thing that now comes into play. Even then, those who have accumulated some SPs (regardless of role) can put them to good use...

SPs - regardless of what you may have read in the forums - DO matter. They matter to Support Roles a bit more (IMO) - but they DO matter - even to DPS's IMO.

Best advice I can give to you, OP - is to sip the Kool-Aid for YOURSELF. THEN make the decision. Come on back to DCUO, play it for a month (or two), EXPERIENCE these new changes THEN make an INFORMED decision.

To be honest - some of the advice you get from some in these forums is based off of those who are not even playing the game anymore.

Play the game for yourself and THEN make an informed decision.
    • Like x 4
  5. Absolix Loyal Player

in GU47 stats from gear were linearized, meaning if you were to graph stats as the ilevel of gear increases they would travel in a relatively straight line as opposed to the rising curve it was before.

To compensate for the fact that stats no longer grow as quickly cr scaling was introduced. Cr scaling makes it so that being below the recommended cr cause you to take more damage from enemies and deal less damage to enemies.

Shiny Mackerel got some good data demonstrating how it works. Note that the buggy drops he mentions were fixed in GU52, but other than that it should be relatively accurate.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...t-into-the-cr-differential-adjustment.256782/
    • Like x 2
  6. Derio 15000 Post Club

Your SP still matter, just not as much like they used to. Still give the game a try for a month to see if you like it
    • Like x 1
  7. Skidmarc Committed Player

I say come back...but only sub for one month...just to see if you really feel like the game as it stands is what you would like.

Much has changed, some good and some not so good. Powers still fluctuate per game update, community mostly remains the same as it once was...maybe more trolling/childishness though.

Don't invest more than a month until you try it again though...after that, you will have a more informed decision.
  8. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

It's killing the game. For many players.
    • Like x 4
  9. Controller Devoted Player

Thanks for the breakdown, Absolix.

Slightly off-topic, but I wish/hope that one day the Devs can fix the OP gear CR issue. OP gear (if you have it) needs to SCALE to CR.

For me as a near full-time Controller, my OP gear gives me +11 vit, which is negotiable, AND 200+ power, which to be honest I don't want to lose.

Damage means NOTHING to me as a Battery Controller, BUT - what Absolix said about RECEIVING more damage IN - based off of CR - gives me some pause.

I don't want to handicap my group going in as a 139 (Equipped) Controller. But I seem to perform BETTER Role-Wise with the OP gear.
  10. zorile New Player

run
    • Like x 2
  11. X-zero Loyal Player

They have a combat analyzer ingame now. If you want to see how useful your sp are trying doing 5 tests with just your weapon filled in, 5 with all your crits filled in, and 5 with full sp allocated. Take the average of the three sets and compare.
  12. AsgardKnight Well-Known Player

I returned to DCUO after some time and found that being at CR 84 with 60 SP I can get knocked out by all the AI henchmen very soon, almost instantaneously, while running the Stryker Island 4 people Alert. All my team mates also faced the same issue untill we got help from a tank and we were able to reach till the 4 bad guys which has Mirror master and Heatwave. That was the last point when we all got knocked out within seconds, even the tank. Finally, we abandoned. I am villain with light powers. Now I suspect this CR based DPS is something that hurt us? Am I correct? I am still unable to understand, this alert had never been so hard :(

Please someone help me understand this.
  13. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

I'm assuming there was no healer or controller in the group.
    Ok, so problem 1:
    Missing other roles
    Problem 2: yeah.. cr 80 is not the best.. the cr changes really only affect tanks and dps the most.
    Because you are 9 cr lower than your enemies, you will do much less damage than someone at that cr and will
    receive more damage.
  14. AsgardKnight Well-Known Player

Thanks friend,

I understood the problem number 1. But could not understand, what you meant when you said: Because you are 9 cr lower than your enemies....

Hope, you won't mind!
  15. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

If Im not mistaken cr89 is the level of Stryker's Prison NPC's.
    You're at cr 80 right?
  16. AsgardKnight Well-Known Player

• Like x 1
  17. Violet Vale New Player

Hey, I know this guy!

Let's be honest; when you're playing the game regularly, you're always at or near max-CR anyway, so the CR-scaling won't negatively affect you once you catch up (which won't take long). A skilled DPS will still outperform less-skilled higher CR's as long as they are not too out-leveled by the enemies. I'd guess you'll be beating some 148s (current max CR) by the low-to-mid-140s. It's really not that different from how it was before, despite how much the people on these forums seem to like to complain about it.
    • Like x 1
  18. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Remander tested the impact of skill points on damage and found out that there is no big difference in damage between 150 and 250 sp. The difference between 50 and 150 sp is significant.

For support roles you'd always want as much sp as possible ;).
    • Like x 2
  19. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

SP Still Matter :

You still need *at least* 77 for all Role Crits (more if you still want your weapon to deal damage in support role)

You need about 120 for those Crits plus two functional Weapon Masteries

And they recently increased all of the old stat bonuses, so now instead of the 6 points in row #2 buying you 18 extra precision, it buys you 42 - things like that.

The CR-based DPS basically means this - you have to be near or at something's CR to do 'ideal' damage. 'Best Gear In Vendor' would be more ideal for this system because then it would be guaranteed linear progression, but to be frank the performance gap in 2-3 CR isn't all that great, and you can get to 145 with like, three pieces of vendor gear and a bunch of crap you can find.

Give it a shot before you condemn it based on forum opinion mongers.
  20. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I assume you mean a combat analyzer in game on PC? Or are you referring to the Combat Log?