Mental adjustments/fixes

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Greenman_x, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Please use this thread to post your issues with the Mental powerset. Instead of cluttering the testing feedback for midrange damage.

Personally, I'm upset that some things weren't addressed as well, but lets keep the issues consolidated to one thread so that hopefully we can get some answers on it in the future.

- Mass Hysteria should be changed from a 100% supercharge and have it's damage buffed significantly. It not only might be one of the worst SCs in the game (in terms of damage out), it costs 100%. In comparison to, say, Grand Summoning, it's very weak.
    - We need more options for the AM. Gadgets and Mental are incredibly similar, but Mentals is far more restrictive. Why? Thought Bubble, Terror Tendrils, Pyrokinesis and Cryokinesis all should be added to the AM. Terrorize and Telekinesis could be as well.
    - Reflect Pain serves little to no use in any situation. Considering we have 2 other non-SC shields to pick from, I'd like to see this completely removed and replaced with literally anything else.

I have a few more nitpicky things, but these are the 3 biggest that I'd like to see changed.
    • Like x 8
  2. details26 Committed Player

I agree with most except reflect pain. Its a very useful power in PVP that can save you in tight moments. And to anyone wondering, yes PVP matters. If you make a change in PVE you must think of how it affects PVP as well.
  3. Pults Loyal Player

I think terror tendrils and telekinesis should be added to the AM. One of the reasons is that support roles now have access to Advanced Mechanic damage boost, so far nor gadgets nor mental integrated a power that restores power over time within it.
    Another thing, a bit more out of the norm, AM rotation finishers should restore power instantly to teammates.
    • Like x 1
  4. Absolix Loyal Player

Shields only mitigate 25% of incoming damage now, which makes almost all shields not worth their powercosts since GU41 increased general powercosts in PvP as well.

Reflect Pain and Triage have been competing for the title of most useless power since that change hit.
    • Like x 2
  5. Absolix Loyal Player

Although I would love to see TT added, I don' see them adding it at least until the fix that it still doesn't split. Albeit, we were told the splitting would be fixed whenever they got around to giving Mental it's AM, and that never happened.

It would be nice if they got around to that, take the WM crit exclusion off of it, and change MT's AoE to be like EMP so that it wouldn't have the potential to split damage with enemies outside mid-range now that there would be another AoE terror applicator for WM.
  6. Tunso Developer

I appreciate the separate thread for general issues. There's not a lot of time but depending on how many bugs need fixing for mid-range balance I may have time to hit at least one of these requests.

Now with that said, you need to understand the implications of your requests. For example, adding abilities to the AM means rebalancing the entirety of the AM. So for example, if you wanted the option to use Grandeur and Invisibility as a quick shortcut to max Resonance like Gadgets has that means the balance of all abilities associated with the AM (including Pyrokinesis etc) may change to accommodate that.

Obviously any new additions can't increase damage beyond where it should be. So if you instead wanted Thought Bubble and Cryokinesis added to the AM, DoTs and all other sources of possible damage will be accounted for under what possible in total for the AM. This means if either of these abilities would cause the AM to start going over where it's supposed to be DPS-wise, something would have to be reduced to compensate.

So anyway if you had to choose ONE thing, what would it be? Some examples of what I've seen so far:

• Replace Mass Hysteria with a standard instant damage supercharge on balance par with other powers, (meaning it allows WM crits 50% cost etc)
    • Add a burst shortcut via Grandeur/Invisibility like Gadgets has
    • Allow more abilities to trigger the AM, understanding these abilities can't result in more damage output, which means numbers may have to change on them or other parts of the AM if they cause damage beyond what's acceptable.
    So what ONE thing would you change if you could, within the guidelines above?
    • Like x 9
  7. tinoman Dedicated Player

i think the burst shortcut would be a great addition for burst damage for mental for when it gets knocked out of rotation.
    • Like x 2
  8. Fies Committed Player

Shortcut plz.
  9. KodyDerp Dedicated Player

Wouldn't add the burst shortcut because then that makes it too similar to gadgets.
    If it's variety most people want, the 3rd option seems best fit.
    • Like x 4
  10. Shifty Committed Player

I'd say the burst shortcut sounds nice :)
  11. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Thanks for taking a look at it. I know the last thing you want is your balance thread being overtaken by (partially) unrelated complaints.

If I had to choose, I'd echo the sentiments of others in here and say add a burst shortcut. I'd rank them as follows:
    1. Burst shortcut akin to gadgets. This is the obvious choice. There are times (like in Desecrated Cathedral) where we're knocked out of our rotation frequently, and having a shortcut to get full damage off would be huge.
    2. Allow more abilities to trigger the AM.
    3. Mass Hysteria changes. I do want to note though, that I just think this needs smaller changes than a full reworking. I like the ghosts, I like the form change, I just wish it hit harder and cost less. Kinda funny when you're 148 CR and your 100% SC ghosts are hitting a boss for 200s.

Appreciate you taking the time Tunso.
    • Like x 5
  12. Grvv Redwig Well-Known Player

Thank you so much for looking into this.
    I guess the additional shortcut am can be be opted for .
    But if your able to do additional tweaks well this is what I had in mind ;)

Mass hysteria can continue to be a 100 sc .Whenever a ghost dies it would unleash a small aoe which restores power or cause an aoe of damage while stunning the adds. I would also like it to increase both weapon and power crits whenever an add is killed on top of a flat buff to both might and prec crits.

For the am , I would want that the 1st amplifier should work within invisibility , the cd on invisibility should be substantially reduced and to extend the time within which each amplifier must be used to get the big hit.

From a PVP point of view ambush and sleep need to do considerably more damage in order to bring it in line with catwoman's invisibility attacks.
  13. Absolix Loyal Player

Hmm, hard choice.

Personally I would prefer more abilities the most, a shortcut second, and changing Mass Hysteria the least.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the community. It is very appreciated.
    • Like x 2
  14. spack2k Steadfast Player

u need to take a look at the SC but not replacing it ... its unique, just needs a buff ... a huge buff for 100% SC.
    • Like x 1
  15. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

Unbelievable that we have to vote and choose 1 out of 3 things that ALL should be updated, especially after Gadgets had such magnificent updates (2 in a row in fact). I'm trying to bite my tongue as best as I can here, but I'm pretty ticked off about this whole thing.

If I had to choose 1 though, I'd vote for more abilities, like Cryo, Pyro and TK to be added. Because it's a total bummer that we're all playing with the same loadout.

I do hope things change though. Then I would return. As it is right now, you've lost a customer. I'll be keeping an eye on the testing forum.
  16. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Id choose number three.
    But most are opting for it so I guess it's gonna be implicated.
    I dont mind the shortcut but Im used to set up times since I played Cele.

Personally:
    I'd like more variety and it would help with the controller side of things.
    Cryokinesis, Pyrokinesis, Terror Tendrils, Bolt Barrage, Telekinesis, Thought Bubble, Mass Hysteria (would need a huge damage boost).. let it be in the AM.
  17. tinoman Dedicated Player

It seems most powers rely on same power input but i do believe the burst would benefit mental more than extra powers with all the knockbacks and stuns happening nowadays.
  18. L T Devoted Player

For variety, and to help the controller role, you could add in TK Shield as a shortcut.

BUT YOU KNOW.... not to put the pressure on or anything like that, but the last time you said you could add just a quick fix to a power set you totally revamped the AMs of both Earth and Sorcery.
    • Like x 1
  19. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I'd go with allow more abilities to trigger AM, I think both the power over time moves should be added to the AM, making it a little more accessible for trolls.
    • Like x 1
  20. Tunso Developer

So it looks like adding a shortcut was the winner although it was a pretty close vote. So I'm going to start working on adding a shortcut via Grandeur and Invisibility. Also since it isn't doing anything to rate such a high cost by today's standards, I'll lower Mass Hysteria to require 50% Supercharge.

Please continue to discuss things you would like to see adjusted. Even though we may not be able to get to them now, if we know what you want that helps us with planning future updates. For example, there are some who have a strong dislike for Reflect Pain and would love to see it replaced. How does everyone feel about that and if you hate it, what would you put in its place?
    • Like x 13