Whats Going wrong in DCUO [from a player of 4+ years]

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Proxystar, Dec 8, 2015.

1. MuTeDx Committed Player

The main problem I see is the devs keep changing what is fundamental and how the core combat system reacts. We had a set of rules that was true for every instance, that truth has changed 4 times over and you wonder why people leave? If your favorite restaurant stopped serving their top selling sandwich for a new "tofu" sandwich people would stop going. That exact what they did here but we have gone way further and now we are in Demolition Man eating rat burgers and living in the sewers while the new kids eat taco bell above ground and have no idea what a good meal is like because they never had one.
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Still in the process of reading through the thread, but wanted to stop and thank the original poster for the constructive thoughts. We really do appreciate it.

We have definitely failed to communicate if that is what you think was said, and I'll go comb over the R&D thread and FAQ to see how you might have gotten that interpretation.

To clarify here, we expect each piece of gear to take 6 weeks of average play to gain the components you need to build it. In about that time (6-8 weeks on average) we expect you to obtain the rest of an Episode's other items as drops. The R&D gear system is not meant to be used in isolation.

Edit: Must-build items cost half what optional-build items cost.
    • Like x 7
  3. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Dude it still hurts. I want to keep playing. I met some pretty awesome people in game and I love their company but I've been done dirty too much.
    Ive lost hundreds of dollars of stuff. I had alts that were deleted during those hacks as well as all of my alts and main, cleaned out completely. Even my main's gear was deleted. Lost rare auras, stuff that I had to help look out for those who needed to progress, lost 350 million in game cash that I used to help people with collections and modding and such.
    Nothing was restored. I had to keep rebuilding on my own.
    When you go through that and then have the people who are supposed to help, turn their back on you everytime...

And to make it clear, my anger isn't on the devs because this a matter that doesn't fall on them.. it's the customer service team that I hate with a burning passion. They need to be replaced immediately.
    • Like x 3
  4. DCUO ENTHUSIAST Dedicated Player

+1
    The biggest problems with this game is the replays. It allows devs to alter loot drops and print their own money. I used to buy boosters...it was my way to support the game, as though it's a fund raiser...but these auras are ugly...I highly doubt money from replays or boosters are actual revenues that's generated BACK into DCUO...if It was, the game would at least have SOMETHING, ANYTHING else going on in the game other than the one piece of content coming out once a month.

In more likelihood, the access revenue from replays and booster goes towards bonuses...the real race is which devs gets to buy their fifth maserati...they're both at four atm....
    I only say that, bc passion is easily recognized and expressed....
    Where's the passion?
    Unless the devs passionately want to sell replay, I don't see any other business model...and I really don't see money being put back into the game itself...

How many months since the last PVP update? At least a year, right?

Love the game...hate corporate greed....you can only call greed by another name, like fundraiser, before people start to question and get a clue
    • Like x 3
  5. E Clip Dedicated Player

I can guarantee you that Kaiser wasnt using macros and he never admited it because there was nothing to admit. Just look at the video you posted he makes many mistakes in his rotations ... You would know that if you actually knew how macros work and what are the limitations from using them. Im pretty sure he even made a video where he recorded both his hands and the screen so people would cut the crap. Here found it:

And dont take this the wrong way, but I'm tired of this macro ******** PS players always throw around. Most of the times you end up dead if you macro because you need to wait until the end of the rotation before you can use another power/move, it locks your character from doing anything until the recorded macro is over.

Thing is, with keyboard and mouse its much easier to perform these clipped rotations, and you can always rebind the controls to make it even easier.
    • Like x 3
  6. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Um, players that never move their feet are doing it wrong.... that and 'objectives' have nothing to do with AM or WM. Those are just bad players with low awareness. And, the older system would be even worse for them because it would require even more multitasking. The damage buff based on range should have players moving, not to mention that some powers are mobile dps.

Also, you don't know what the devs have in store after the mid-range balance happens. WM will see an update again.

As to population and players leaving that is entirely subjective... You have no offical statistical basis for that statement - I have plenty of people to play with on USPS
    • Like x 2
  7. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Nothing wrong with greed, actually, in work, whenever someone comes to ask for a raise, it kind of makes me glad and my views on that person are improved (don't tell them i said that :D).

But, to quote Rand: I know no worse injustice than the giving of the undeserved.

If you want a certain income you have to put out a certain outcome, to me, at least, it seems like we have parked in a place where DB just wants to reach a standarized game...a comfort zone where it can keep milking the game with minimal output, i get it, corporate efficiency and all, but if you are looking to go for the long run there has to be a balance... just like the balance they found with the powerse...oh...
  8. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

This looks like crap compared to HL today, so glad they fixed it. The dovetail route was a much better solution.

Edit: Difficult controls do not make a good game, the game should be the challenge and the controls seamless / immersive.
    • Like x 1
  9. E Clip Dedicated Player

It can look like a huge pile of crap, but as long as its fun to use it, doesnt matter to me. Yep we've had this discussion before didnt we? :D
    • Like x 1
  10. MuTeDx Committed Player

You may still have friends on but there is evidence that the population numbers have dropped. 1 being the Batman Cowl in the market place and the price. It's not subjective when the WT is empty, its no linger subjective when crossfaction has been implimented and PC ques for anything below T7 is still forever. The LFG chat on PC villain is non existent when I log in and the hero side is slower than I remember PS villains being. Trust me and many many others when we say numbers are dropping. I see plenty of people daily who are in dead leagues that were one thriving with over a hundred players, now they join my league and we ate trying to hold together what players we have left. Everyone on USPC heroes at T7 pretty much knows everyone, that's how small it has gotten. Stop thinking your experience represents the as a whole and look at what others are going through. I personally didn't notice the drop until I started bringing in those left behind by those that left (in-game refugees if you will).
    • Like x 1
  11. Avian Dedicated Player

Really appreciate that you took the time to write well written constructive criticism.

I'm getting really tired of all those "DCUO is dieing because this and that" threads and youtube videos that have less than 10% truth to them and 90% subjective and missinformed BS along with personal attacks on the staff and members of the community. Those threads only have one conclusion which is that the game would be amazing if the staff did exactly what the OPs thought they should because they are clearly experts on these sort of things... unconstructive BS rants with hidden agendas of self promotion and sad individuals who can't just quit the game and want to drag it down with them.

Worst part is some of the community is rallying behind these individuals because they can't differentiate between honesty based on stupid biased opinions and truth/facts. Same kind of stupidity that is the reason behind Donald Trump's success...
    • Like x 6
  12. Derio 15000 Post Club

This thread. The original OP posts. Simply flawless. Took the words right out of my mouth. Drop dead speechless.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  13. Coulromaniac Dedicated Player

As much as I hate Trump, yeah, let's be careful not to get political on the forums (Mepps is here reading it :p)

-but yeah, I largely enjoyed it.

I myself TRY very hard to be constructive, but if this thread was written by me, there'd be more cussing and insults involved. Altogether, it's safer for me to be a participant in a thread than the OP of said thread. I got a mouth on me that always gets me in trouble, lol.

I love this game, and I want it to keep going forever!~
    but love and anger and dissatisfaction are a dangerous mix.

People can say all the right things, but because of HOW they say it, it gets overlooked.
    Thank glob for people who can say it without swearing a bunch or playing the blame game...
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

As I said before, this is a great post, and one we'll find very useful. I can comment on a few things.

As already illustrated in the thread, there are a lot of different opinions on what difficulty level is "just right." At the end of the day, everyone wants to succeed and feel like they have achieved and earned something in doing so. We get that. The transition to monthly Episodes has given us an opportunity to iterate faster, and I hope you'll agree we're getting closer each time.

The separation of regular content and elite content is in place, and remains the plan for the future, and each time we are working to further move those two kinds of content apart in terms of difficulty. Part of that is a decent amount of experimentation with new mechanics and new ways to do things, and I can assure you this remains a key focus over in content design.

I'll be quick here. Replays are not going anywhere, and our goals remain the same. We have since post-30 content was introduced targeted about an 8 week window to content completion, with no replays spent, and that has not changed. Whether you want to play content for 8 weeks without replays OR spend replays and gear faster is and will remain entirely up to you.

Again, spending replays has no effect whatsoever on how you advance. Spending replays only impacts when you can next play content for rewards.

Noted. All of it. We know the midrange balance pass can't complete soon enough, but we also think we've made huge strides in understanding player perspectives and re-making the game to match with this endeavor, and cannot wait to be through it and looking at the end results.

I won't comment here today.

It might feel like this - which is an issue - but I want to reiterate that you are still replacing each piece of gear once a quarter. It's just in three chunks instead of all at once, with monthly vs. quarterly episodes. We expect this to become more clear once we're through a few 3-month content cycles, AND we expect the R&D gear system to have a pretty significant impact on providing a firm finale to the gear chase. (Which is not to say some adjustment is out of the question, but no immediate plans.)

Interesting...

We agree.

Proxy, thank you again for taking the time.
    • Like x 21
  15. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I can't speak for USPS, but ... When I started playing on USPC more than two and a half years ago, I had to wait in line to join the servers. Either they increased the server size since then, or we've lost a large number of players.
    • Like x 1
  16. MuTeDx Committed Player

This video is proven a lie. Watch the video first, when he does the K007 combo he either steps forward with Whips or he doesnt get the dmg (uses power too fast) then go watch the video I posted of him in Dox. He doesnt move in Dox hardly ever IF ever. I talked to Kiaser on a lot of his videos back then and I can tell you he was macroing. The time to get dmg from whips and clip fast enough not to move is a tiny hole that only gets done perfect 4/10 times at best, so you either have to back up often of be under boss. Sorry but just because you make a video if you at sparring target doing horrible means nothing top me. The first combo hoi is doing is pSnaptap>fan>jump Pfan>jump ... nothing hard there, somewhere half way through he tries the K007 combo and fails horribly, then he goes back to the fan combo to finish the video so he looks good. I said the same thing to him years ago and yes he admitted to using macros in raids. Omar even showed a video of how precise the timing is on the K007 combo broken down by the millisecond for those building macros.

Edit: sorry doing this on my phone is hard. Okay at 1:50 is when he finally does the K007 combo. Everything before that is not the K007 combo. Watch how short his time is doing that combo before he switches back because he is failing so hard. Before 2:15 (under 30 sec) he has already gave up becuse he cant do it.

Last thought here, macros can be cut short. There are macros that activate and replay while you hold a button but as soon as you release the botton the macro stops. HL animations were never hard to break out of so mobility was always there even with macros. I used to macro the K007 on PC and I could stop at any given moment and do whatever I had too. Like I said you would just think I was a beast and so would the game.
  17. Coulromaniac Dedicated Player

Pardon me, if I may interject sir?

The replay tokens indeed don't affect how you complete the content, but how soon. It means that those with money to spend will be done sooner, while those who wait for the loot locks to reset normally will be working for weeks to come, hence largely separating the paying player base from the non-paying player base.

- or did I misunderstand something? :eek:
    • Like x 10
  18. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

No alert have been ran with one of each role since the game was first released. Especially not Fam or Bia.
    I wish OC stop being used like it was the golden age of dcuo. OC is what started the replay obsession. A lot of players left because of it. It was so bad, i had a few friends who got 150.00 credited to them around the time Playstation was giving players 15.00 for every 100.00 spent. I agree with you on everything else.
    • Like x 1
  19. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. The biggest problem with OC was the gear separation between vendor and content. The rarity of the drops and the drops being the best gear fueled what we now have today with players spamming replays to get the best gear. That's now become the focus of the players and the developers. Even if the developers aren't doing so intentionally to sell replays, they still have to take the players into account who get their gear faster with replays.
    • Like x 2
  20. E Clip Dedicated Player

Yeah that looks fishy with the whip and forward movement but he has a perfectly legitimate explanation which he also wrote in the comments of that video: he is using 2 recording programs one for the screen and one for the camera. That makes your PC very unresponsive and it makes sense that it would reflect on his performance.

I dont know if he admited to you or not, you could be making things up, I dont know that. But I know from experience just by looking at someone if he is using macro or not and in that Dox video Kaiser isnt using macro because the amount of mistakes he makes are staggering. The whiptrash clip isnt hard without a macro, sure it was the hardest of all, but with enough practice it all came down to muscle memory. If he was using macro all his whiptrashes would look the same, but they dont, sometimes he moves slightly forward, sometimes a lot forward and sometimes doesnt move at all. That right there tells you he isnt using macros.