A look at how the new R&D Gear system works

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Torikumu, Nov 3, 2015.

1. MuTeDx Committed Player

I may have worded that more harshly than intended. By my statement I meant that I feel like this system (had it always been here) would be used to craft that last raid style after the next set has already come out rather than to craft gear you need for cr progression. Meaning the system is more utilized for sp than CR. I had just jumped on and should have thought that out a bit more. Nothing against the system I just thought it would be faster initially.

But having thought about how slow the different individual pieces come out (every 12weeks), this could be used for cr progression if you have horrid luck on your raids.

I think overall this is a great step in the right direction. Having player crafted gear in the broker and getting some player economy running again is where I see this heading. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's Mayballine. Thanks though guys love the improvements.
    • Like x 1
  2. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Thank you for your comment. It means a lot :) I am a total amateur video maker and you can see the evolution of my video editing abilities on my Torikumu channel. My first edited video was whatever the first video on my channel is. So to receive a "well made" comment is excellent :D
    • Like x 1
  3. xxsniperxxjacob Level 30

That's your channel? Nice dude I watch your vids all the time on YouTube, and it does not look like your an amateur, love your videos man.
    • Like x 1
  4. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Maybe it's in this thread, maybe it's in other threads, but what is the deal with rings and face.

Do you have to craft those? And if you do, what is their total cost?
  5. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

I see this as punishing players that run dps/support. They will need to build 2 necks and four rings. The amount of material needed there will prevent them from ever being able to build a missing rare piece. Unless they spend $$$$ on replays.
    • Like x 1
  6. Anti Bezz New Player

You have to craft them bit they are in the last episode of the cycle so no word on pricing yet.
  7. Anti Bezz New Player

Screw 8 weeks being the worst case. At the average of even 6 weeks having to pay 90 freaking marks when we will be spending them on other things like vendor gear is ludicrous. Ok we have to buy a plan for marks but to then require ADDITIONAL mark usage on top of that is awful and just screams replay.
    • Like x 1
  8. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

The rings and face can only be crafted via R&D. The Face is constructable next month and the rings in the final month.

It's been done to help balance out the drops and ensure that each episode only introduces 4 new drops, allowing the developers to give each piece the same chance to drop and less to chase in the case of the month with 2 rings, neck, face, trinket/utility belt

Costs are unknown at this time.
  9. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

So essentially, we only get those 6 weeks to craft whatever 1 piece of gear we want, and then the following 2 months we are forced into crafting those last pieces? Thats what I take away from it.
    • Like x 1
  10. Anti Bezz New Player

Mepps response will be that the rings and face aren't required for progression so it's ok..........
  11. BigBabyGeezuz Dedicated Player

6 weeks to make a piece of gear? Seems a bit long....
    • Like x 2
  12. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

Actually it's quite absurd. That's 12 weeks if you are running dual role dps/support; not to mention the additional time needed to gain marks for these builds. There is barely enough time to get the marks back to 100 by the time the next DLC drops as it is for dual role players.
    • Like x 1
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Yeah but again, 6 weeks is just an average. Might be quicker, might be slower. It's also designed to accompany the raid drops system, not replace it entirely (but they've built it in a way you totally can by pass the raids all together if you're willing to wait or throw down the money to do so). If you aren't running the raid, then you're not earning the maximum potential metalloids, anyway. But by running the raid, you're likely to get a piece of gear you're trying to construct anyway. There's a chance that you'll never need to use the system.

To construct any of the gear in Episode 18, you only ever need 400 Metalloids to convert into 4 Fused Metalloids. An optimal strategy might be to wait the first month out, accepting only rare drops you receive from the raid instead of trying to build it immediately and build up your metalloids, so you can construct the face on Day 1 of Episode 19. Then enjoy the increased amount of metalloids a player can get daily to get the older gear at a faster rate.

I'm not sure. The system has so much room for flexibility and different strategies. I'm personally just relieved to know that my grind isn't over by Friday and my interest in the content is extinguished.
  14. BigBabyGeezuz Dedicated Player

Can we save the scraps from this Episode to craft the rings and mask in the upcoming episodes? Doubt I would waste crafting mats on anything but those items because they are only obtainable through crafting. Ultimately, this entire crafting system is really just to make those rings and masks. You would really be setting yourself back in CR progression if you used the system for anything else. Not sure if the devs realize this or not.
  15. DustyAnkh Loyal Player

You're forgetting that you'll probably get the drops though. There's only 4 pieces to collect. Not only that, but the craftable gear isn't even the best gear, so you'll likely only need to make 1 piece if you're having bad luck with the drops in the regular and elite raid.
  16. Lionxoft Committed Player

Could have fooled me. There's hardly anyone playing the old content.
  17. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Yeah, it's divided into seasons. We're currently starting Season 2 and it covers Episode 18, 19 and 20. Gear from those episodes can be broken down into the Metalloid scraps which are used to build Season 2's gear.

I've heard that the costs scale slightly, though, to compensate for the additional Metalloids being added in 19 and 20. But that will make the earlier gear easier to obtain.

If you aren't running the raids/alerts, which drop the very gear you're building, then you aren't getting the most out of the R&D system, anyway and by running the raids/alerts, you're going to see at least 1 or 2 drops that you're trying to build.
  18. BigBabyGeezuz Dedicated Player

I only want to make the items that don't drop from running content. Thanks for the info. I'm glad someone has this figured out.
    • Like x 1
  19. Ichiro Loyal Player

Really cool looking but the time frame of 6 weeks seems to be not very dual role friendly. The assumption is you will only have one piece to make in 6 weeks but more than likely you will have more than one if you play dual roles. I will wait to see and try it out first though.

My inner packrat is looking forward to having something to horde
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Not at all. But it IS too complicated to try to explain without it being in your hands. You will have to see how it works first-hand.