Test Discussion Atomic Powers

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by spord, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spord Developer

Yeah I can get these fixed up. It looks like counters are causing problems.
    • Like x 2
  2. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

What if absorption is nullified while blocking ? Or would that be too much of a complex check ?

For instance you gain absorption but when you block the absorption is nullified and when you unblock the it turns on again. We are not talking earth levels of absorption but just enough that we can take a larger than normal hit while still needing block for the big bad hits.
  3. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

The problem is that it would make Atomic the best tank in the game and trivialize the block button into nothingness.
  4. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

How? It already hits the 75% mitigation. Giving it anything less than 5% more mitigation would be pointless. And it already is supposed to not block ever unless its a oneshot that is just checking to see if you are blocking or not. That is what Spord already stated.
  5. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I was under the impression he meant really hard hitting attacks as well. Being able to realiable tank shrug off all damage save block checks would be a little broken in my opinion but my theory is no good unless we can try put different options in the end.
  6. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Thanks for the response just happy you're still lookin into keepin our survivability on par with other tanks while also allowing us to have the fun atomic will provide with combos
    • Like x 2
  7. TestReporter Loyal Player

What if :
    While the quark-gluon aura is active, each of your atomic combos will increase your health by 1 per dominance point for 12 seconds. This effect can stack up to 3 times.
    While performing atomic combos, increase all healing received by 20%.
  8. Absolix Loyal Player

The problem with Atomic is less about it's survivability out of block and more it's survivability compared to other tanks in block. That change would do nothing to improve survivability while blocking, and would make a staple mod for Tanks completely useless.

There doesn't seem to be a need for that kind of change. If they were to need to improve the survivabilty out of block they could adjust the Dominance-based healing from comboing and/or the max Health-based heals as performing those requires the user to be out of block.
  9. BumblingB I got better.

The sounds in it are way too loud.

Atom Powered Assault screech and the noise on the Quark-gluon Aura is defening. And is triggering my leaguemate's migraine. Can these be toned WAY down?
    • Like x 1
  10. Canadian Justice Committed Player

A bit late to the game here but I finally got on test to check out Atomic.

Loving both the color and mechanics of this power, specifically the highly flexible dual AM.

However there is the issue of the sound.

Quite some time ago I did some testing for DC Homeslice to see what Quantum audio effects were acting as migraine triggers. At that time I narrowed it down to the oscillation effect present on a few select powers. I'm not sure if the changes were ever implemented but Quantum is tolerable for me now.

This same migraine trigger oscillation effect is fully present in Atomic but instead of being present on just a few powers it's on the Quark Gluon Aura, something that renders the power all but useless to me unless I turn the sound off.

Is there any chance the oscillation effect could be looked at?

If I remember correctly DC Homeslice said something along the lines of tightening the oscillation range of the Quantum effects.

And although not a trigger (I think) , the shrill effect on Atom Power Assualt is maybe a bit overpowering too. Annoying but at least somewhat tolerable.
    • Like x 1
  11. Rejoicer1 Well-Known Player

I second this one! It reallly makes atomic what we want: a tough tank that can be active rather than blocking all the time. Blocking is boring. being able to move and combo and be tough (ala Supes) is a lot more fun.
  12. ACW37162 Loyal Player

Maybe the simplest, not very exotic or exciting solution have the QG aura just boost dominance and resto while active. I posted the same idea in relation to density but it could work for the aura also
  13. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

It's not a blocking tank hence why Spord is saying he is reluctant to give absorption because it would promote blocking more.......I don't understand where all of the sudden people are complaining about the survivability in block. This is literally the first time it is coming up. You are not supposed to be blocking, spord has already stated that. I asked that question in the first few days it was out just to make sure and he made it very clear that Atomic is not a tank that block unless its a requirement IE one shots.
    • Like x 1
  14. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

You do realize it is already at 75% just like Ice right? There is no level of mitigation or absorption that would matter that DOESN'T invalidate blocking............it's not a hard concept to grasp. It's 5% away from its already capped mitigation when blocking while out of block. If you give it 2% more mitigation while out of block its is pointless that's not going to be even noticeable. It's also hardly "shrugging it off".

It's mechanic is to heal back damage it takes, if it takes to much damage to heal back it needs more mitigation it's a simple concept. Whether or not it makes blocking pointless is not the argument because it's already so close to what it gets while blocking that it doesn't matter. And spord said he isn't about to give it absorption because it would promote blocking FURTHER solidifying my point that this is not a tank that blocks hence why you should give it a max mitigation as if it was blocking. Its going to be taking hits 24/7 and healing them back 24/7 its an active tank. The risk is that it is consistantly taking damage with no shields, no absorption past 80% and no increase health pool. That is what the other tanks do.
    • Like x 3
  15. Absolix Loyal Player

The one shots are the problem. Other tanks can survive them and do so with more wiggle room because they have blocking and another passive effective health boost, but Atomic only gets blocking's mitigation.

Outside of block it appears to be good in comparison. Atomic gets Combo Max health heals and a defense boost, Fire gets self-healing and a health and heals-in boost, Rage has a health boost and Rage Crash, Ice has shields and a defense boost, and Earth has a defense boost and mitigation. They all have at least two factors outside of block.
    • Like x 1
  16. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

Ice and atomics defense boosts are null and void when blocking they don't matter. So Ice has Shields to survive those hits thats all. Short of giving Atomic more health or a reliable shield there is nothing to do. If you give it more health then you are basically saying F you fire tanks Atomic is a fire tank that doesn't need to block. If you give it more a strong shields you are putting a lot of emphasis on a single power and less on the QAura which is the mechanic of the tank.
    • Like x 1
  17. Lacedog Loyal Player

I'm with ya except for the aura, it's not the main tank mechanic as is. I feel it should be.
  18. Absolix Loyal Player

I'm not saying it needs to copy another tank mechanic. Spord has said that he is looking at it, and with how unique the powerset has come out so far I'm going to trust that he can come up with a better solution.
  19. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

yea that was my point what ever is done it needs to require the aura.
  20. Karasawa Loyal Player

Couldn't have said it better myself. If we're talking about pure 1-shots Atomic has the same effective health as Ice with a regular shield, which is not bad at all. It's not as good as Ice with Reflect obviously, but I'm not about to ask for Reflect on Atomic.. that would just be a big middle finger to Ice. And giving it absorption would be a huge knock off from Earth.

So I just don't see Atomic getting any more buffs to its effective health. At least not through stronger shields, health buffs, or absorption. The only route left to go is healing back the damage it takes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.