Test Discussion Atomic Powers

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by spord, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

Can you clarify what an Atomic tank "should be" or was "designed" to do? Is it supposed to block or is it supposed to continually combo and the 2% heal it supposed to be what keeps it alive?
  2. spord Developer

It all started from people, Spytle being one of them, saying they wanted to be more active while tanking. The design is built around continually comboing and the 40% heal + the 2% heal combined is what keeps you alive on top of your 90% Defense buff. You are supposed to block when it makes sense, like you will counter an enemy or a boss is doing a block or die ability (often these are looking for you actually being in the block ability). The extra abilities, like Photon Remedy & Density, are supposed to supplement this.
    • Like x 5
  3. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

4. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Spord I know your making health required to tank with Atomic, however, even with say 32k health, it won't make much impact.
    Can it be more than 2%?
    • Like x 3
  5. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Is there any possibility of adding a power return/regen mechanic to the 'Geiger' Powers in order to create a 1-2-3-finisher mechanic?
  6. spord Developer

You will get power regen in DPS role from the Geiger abilities if Atom-Powered Assault is active.
    • Like x 7
  7. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

Perfect, thanks that helps with giving the appropriate feedback.

The first thing I can say then is its not practical because it cost way to much power to do that. You need to at the very least put the power regen mechanic back if you want it to be active otherwise we run out of power after just two comobs after going into the GAura using a shortcut power.
  8. S3bring New Player

An idea to help support this active tank style would be to make each combo increase your health by the amount you heal yourself for 12 seconds. This buff could stack on itself. Like how rage health increases per power used. This would also help you survive for a while doing the combo and have s few seconds to block and go back into the combo to keep healing/buffing you health.

Right now tank side is a struggle end game content.
  9. MrB Dedicated Player

This seems like an interesting route to go with. But that still leaves the problem of combos being slow and easy to counterable by a boss or a dozen adds.
  10. ACW37162 Loyal Player

I'm not sure I agree with the resistance to immunity buff of that order, that by itself almost makes atomic hands down better then everything else on the board just because your immune 75 % of the time.

25 % immunity buff while aura is up and actually in a combo state I could wrap my head around.

Also an increase in aura time and the time between combos still stacking would make it function better but with your boosted aura heal and density being your 0h "s:$t" button.

4 things I think make this pretty unique yet playable tank:

In tank role boost the duration of the aura - 18 seconds as another poster mentioned is a good start and lines it up with earth.
    In tank role lengthen the time in between combos they still count as stacking
    In tank role with aura active and in combo state plus 15 - 25 control resist (stacking with any other resist effects)
    In tank role remove the breakable after three hit rule for density or modify it so at say under 4.5 seconds the shield will not break on hits only damage cap after 4.5 hit totals and damage cap will break the shield

I think that's very playable tank, allows for movement, is unique, and gasp..... Fun
    • Like x 2
  11. Jameztowerz Active Player

I was just running the new duo and activated the aura and it stars on me even after the cool down without the defense buff but when I activated any power on my load out without even doing a combo the buff would go back up don't know if this is a bug or intended
  12. Karasawa Loyal Player

I'm a big fan of the active tanking philosophy so I really like what you've done with Atomic. I think what it all really hinges on is power regen. I hope you guys do revisit that concept in the future. It would make Atomic tanking feel complete, and would also benefit Rage's ability to "active tank."
    • Like x 1
  13. Superskull85 Devoted Player

You can make all the changes you want to being able to combo constantly but none of that really helps with surviving very large attacks or being able to have mobility and flexibility. You are also entirely dependant on chance that the 6+ targets you have around you won't stun, block, knockback, etc. if not having 100% immunity. Compare that to the 4 other well rooted Tanks that, for the most part, don't have a lot of luck involved in their core mechanic.
    • Like x 2
  14. ACW37162 Loyal Player

@spord

Love the idea of an active tank and the combo idea, love it.

But I'm on test now and you have by my count somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds to actually link a combo so they register as stacking, add that requirement to a 12 second window to keep the aura up, plus everything else a tank has to do.

Yeah, you got a couple of shortcuts and a super but maintaining the aura gets incredibly difficult and I'm ok with difficult but throw in a complete lack of mobility unless you turn into jumping bean while combing and that is an issue you already addressed.

Easing of the time constrainsts giving the tank side a little more flexibility inside of time constraints to get "stack" and an adjustment to density seem very fair and not to over top?

By the way you guys have cranked out a beautiful power
  15. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

The aura is bugged and isn't dropping sometimes, it just visual though, you don't maintain the actual benefits of the aura.
  16. ACW37162 Loyal Player

None of which have 100 % control immunity.

I think we are on the same page just at different levels.

I'm right there with you brother, don't really care which tweak they make but it needs a few little ones and it's still going to have a steep learning curve for a majority of the population.
  17. AccOp Well-Known Player

Would like to ask if the power Irradiate is designed to be a single target dot? Also noticed that being lunged or interrupted or something similar knocks you out of the power back effect so you're left with a low power bar. Thanks.
  18. MrB Dedicated Player

Yep the power is awesome but needs a few little tweaks to make it polished.
  19. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I am a big fan of the playstyle myself. I would suggest making the final attack in a combo vulnerable to block. I tried out nexus and I was never able to get my aura up at the first bosses as one of them would always randomly block. During a combo I do not have enough time to react to such randdom block patterns. A human is predictable. Since I am doing less blocking there is less time for me to analyze every frame of animation my enemy is making. If I can't get the heals off consistently then I can't tank. Maybe thY was just a bad boss but I also don't think enemies you don't target should be able to block you. If 1 out of 4 adds block I am doomed.
    • Like x 1
  20. Jameztowerz Active Player

Yeah I figured that but even without comboing should the buff still pop when activating any power in tank role
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.