Difference between Atomic and Quantum in concept?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Impulsively, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Wait I thought atomic was suppose to be indigo
  2. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Perfect example. ;) ;)
  3. BumblingB I got better.

Simple, split complimentary colors. Purple is the split compliment of orange. (Compliment of Yellow. Orange is the compliment of blue.)
  4. Backseid Devoted Player

I still don't get it. I understand opposing colors. But was that just a wishful thinking by saying purple? Or are they actually using that color scheme?
  5. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Atomic power works on the level of splitting and fusing atoms, producing fission and fusion reactions. Quantum power work at sub-atomic level, and in the DC Universe, allows control of Space and Time.
  6. Galil ACE Well-Known Player

Its basically the same both manipulate sub-atomic particles. One is orange and could cause cancer, the blue one is beyond that and can manipulate smaller particles than just the nucleus of an atom.
  7. BumblingB I got better.

My response was a joke. lol I have no idea why they said Purple. Probably a Fruedian slip.
    • Like x 1
  8. ChillCat Loyal Player

Another way to look at it (in-game, not the irl science) would be like so:

Quantum - effects time and space around matter (external). E.g. Tachyon Burst warps time around an object
    Atomic - converts and directs matter itself (internal). E.g Radiation Shower converts matter into force directed energy, or the Super Charge shield (I forget the name) converts your matter into metal.
  9. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Captain Atom can teleport, stop time, and manipulate gravity? Never knew
  10. BumblingB I got better.

Keep in mind "inspired by" doesn't mean it is an exact copy. I mean, Atomic powers look like Firestorm, but there are things that are not really Firestorm's look.

Also, Cap Atom can do Quantum Tunnelling, but it's more of a Quantum Leap. He absorbs too much energy and he jumps to the future.
  11. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

Quantum is actually misleading name. Better call that powerset "cosmic" or "continuum"

Continuum = Space & Time
    Atomic = Elementary Particles = Matter & Energy
  12. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

nope white, it will look like the OG plasmic ;)

and you'll get the OG plasmic for that aura / AM
  13. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

So research Dr. Manhattan and Firestorm. You may find more than enough information on how DC comics views the powers.

Side Note: I wonder if DC comics views Atomic and Quantum differently than the sciences.
  14. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Though firestorm can do most atomic moves. I think phantom stranger is more quantum then cap atom lol
  15. ACW37162 Loyal Player

You beat me to it the difference between orange and blue.

And if your orange you have to have a target to teleport
  16. Ken Spartan Committed Player

One deals with manipulating one's own atoms, as well as atomic energy (the energy and radiation created by splitting atoms). The other deals with gravity and time manipulation to one's environment.