Difference between Atomic and Quantum in concept?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Impulsively, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Impulsively Committed Player

Meaning the lore behind the two powers within the DC Universe. From my understanding, Quantum exobyte humans have the ability to manipulate particles to transform matter in space as well as freeze other matter in time. I know that we're going to get a rundown of how Atomic works from a gameplay standpoint in a few hours, but I'm not sure if they'll talk about the lore of the power.

Any ideas of how the two will be distinguished?
    • Like x 1
  2. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I'm guessing it's like comparing Space/Time Travel to a Nuclear Power plant.

One harnesses the power of the atom to generate energy and heat. One harness the power of Time and Space to disable enemies and other things...

idk
    • Like x 7
  3. Pults Loyal Player

One is blue other will be purple.
    • Like x 1
  4. Grumpy Dedicated Player

The color and the role?
  5. Hemmy Committed Player

The best way I have found to think about it, not knowing myself of course, is that quantum powers change the fabric of reality itself to alter it as they/we see fit. Atomic is the manipulation of energy, bending it and it's effects and even to a degree, storing and releasing their own reserves of energy.
    • Like x 4
  6. Impulsively Committed Player

I meant more so in how the powers operate on an atomic level. They both have to do with manipulating atoms, so I'm just trying to figure out exactly how the manipulation of those particles are different to explain them as different powers.
  7. DustyAnkh Loyal Player

I'm sure the names of the trees will tell you everything you need to know.

But it's based on Firestorm, who has nothing to do with time and space. So I'm not sure why you'd think they need to be distinguished from each other by lore.
    • Like x 1
  8. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Quantum think Hiro Nakamura
    Atomic think late season 1 Peter Petrelli
  9. Backseid Devoted Player

Huh? I thought Atomic was to be Orange(ish)ness. Where is purple coming from?
    • Like x 1
  10. Aglorenzini Dedicated Player

Manipulation of matter and time X manipulation of energy

[IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 3
  11. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Think back to your Chemistry/Physics classes. Quantum deals with the mechanics of those small particles as well as the in game pseudo Gravitons (gravity) and manipulating said mechanics to affect space/time. Atomics deals with the composition of Atoms and manipulating the composition and energy of them to generate energy or manipulate the composition of objects.

Chemistry= what stuff is made up of and how stuff is changed.
    Physics= how/why stuff works
    • Like x 2
  12. Pults Loyal Player

Disinformation.
    • Like x 1
  13. Veritasum Loyal Player

What others have said, but way I see it is:
    Quantum = Space/Time manipulation
    Atomic = Energy manipulation via fusion/fision (I forget what's what)

We can get really heavy into the physics on energy and speed of light, etc. but I just keep it simple in my little brain.
    • Like x 1
  14. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Quantum in game is very limited in what it is trully capabele. A true cquantum powerset would be comprised of what we have now as well as what atomic would bring us.

Atomic can do what ever they want as long the congregation of matter and energy is maintained.

Quantum can do what it wants period.

Both however require the user to have some knowledge of what they are doing hence firestorm having more creative feats than Captain Atom although he is more powerful technically .

However , even with firestorm stipulation of conservation of mass his power is do what he wants . Quantum has the added ability to manipulate the time.
    • Like x 1
  15. BumblingB I got better.

Captain Atom Vs Firestorm

Captain Atom uses quantum particles and can manipulate time.
    Firestorm can rearrange atoms at the subatomic level to change from one material to another. (Lead to gold?)

In recent lore, Captain Atom became all powerful and started to be a silver Firestorm with the ability to rearrange matter at the subatomic level.

Differences and similiarities. In the end of it all, Quantum is more Time based and Atomic is more Matter based.
    • Like x 2
  16. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

Uhmm is this a bad time to tell you i failed physics?
    • Like x 2
  17. Impulsively Committed Player

Science has always been interesting to me, but not enough to read my textbooks cover to cover or pay attention in lecture. I came to college to learn how to create software. Science classes were just necessary evils for my slip of paper.
  18. Dynagirl Committed Player

^ This. In DC lore they define the quantum field as a vast infinite storage of energy that can quite literally be use to do anything. It is the science equivalent of magic.:D Atomic, while still powerful, has to deal with nuclear reactions. Fusion, fission and the energies generated by those reactions. Quantum has no such rules. It can do all the things atomic can and more. If you want to see quantum power unleashed you should read new 52 Captain Atom or Countdown: Arena during Captain Atom's Monarch phase. He destroys an entire universe in that one.
  19. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Not purple.

Orange.

ORANGE!!!!!

How could you miss all the billion threads about the orange color of Atomic???:eek::eek:

That is blasphemy!!! That is madness!!!

That... is ..... ORANGE!!! ;) ;) (sorry..... no bottomless Pitt to kick you into). ;):p:D
    • Like x 1
  20. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I knew I was not crazy.

At least..... not completely. ;) ;) ;)