Dead End for Solo and Duo Players

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Legion_of_One, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Legion_of_One Well-Known Player

Been playing for a couple of years, since City of Heroes was unplugged. Friend and I have stuck exclusively to solo content and stuff that we can team up for. Bigger group content has been uninviting, and we came over from a game that did not involve the fast, twitch mechanic style of gameplay that DCUO centres around. So, we've had fun doing the content that's available to us. Fortunately, we're also patient because after level 30, it's the same handful of missions over and over. Depending on how lucky the drops are, some of our toons breezed through while others got stuck.

Our highest toons have been running through the Amazon Fury I daily missions in Gotham Under Siege for months now. It seems designed to get a player nowhere, and based on the CR calculator I just plugged numbers into, we will not make it to the next (well, second next since solo and duo content skips every other DLC) level of content. Earning enough Marks of Fury to replace all gear and the weapon with CR 92 stuff, modded with level VI mods, will get us to CR 105.6, and believe me when I say it will still take us a hell of a long time to get to there, earning 3 MoF if we run the content every day.

It disappoints me that the game developers decided to block our progress along the solo and duo path-- it's what we enjoy playing, and even though we pay our membership dues every month, we know that we'll never play the majority of the content we've paid for. That didn't matter until this current roadblock became evident. I was a little bit excited today when I found the missing Amazon patrol mission, thinking I might have a chance to get some gear that's higher than 92, plus a few more marks. In the back of my mind I knew this was for the new DLC, but it granted the mission and let me in, so I gave it a shot. I managed to take out the two +12 guards at the first gate, and was on track to beat the next two when a mob spawned on me...

So, I'm trying to decide what this means, now that CR105 is where the game ends for me. I have other toons to work on, but the Gotham Wastelands (why have I been stuck in Gotham so long?) is a big grind just to get to Gotham Under Siege, and I'm not sure I see any reason to do that either. My alts are the only thing that break up the monotony of the game and give me some variety, so cancelling my subscription screws up my access to the alts. Why would I continue to pay for content that I can't play (well, "Play My Way," to borrow from some company's motto)?

I guess I'm hoping that some dev might see this and consider that multiple paths through the game content might keep more players around longer. Players like me aren't getting bored quickly, we're throwing money at the game for content we never play and just to decorate our bases and have cool weapons. But, stuck is stuck and it's clearly by design. It's not like I'm going to start running group content after two years of avoiding it. I was asking in SHOUT if there were level VI expert mods available, because putting those in all of my level 92 gear would finally bump me over 106. This nice player showed me where the CR94 gear was being sold by the bug vendor, but I had to tell him I don't earn symbols of power because that DLC offers no solo or duo content. It's like being painted into a corner.
    • Like x 18
  2. winter13 New Player

You are painting yourself into a corner, the game is not. If you don't want to play group content, then this game is probably not for you.
    • Like x 39
  3. Legion_of_One Well-Known Player

The game is what it is because it has been made this way. We're simply invited to play it. I would be more comfortable with a Dev telling me that the game is not made to be played by people who enjoy solo and duo content. And since this is the first time since I started playing DCUO that I haven't found a way to advance to the next tier of content, I figure it's appropriate to make some noise about it. The game designers may actually welcome players like me, and weren't aware that this problem exists.
    • Like x 4
  4. Rhinosus13 Loyal Player

Doing just the solo and duos in Amazon Fury I gets you 9 MOF not 3
    VI experts are available
    And you painted yourself in a corner by not running Halls of Power
    • Like x 2
  5. Prosser Dedicated Player

I'm just gonna comment on these two things, as I don't care to get into small vs large content thing.

With full AF1 lv 92 gear, and fully modded with the Normal Tier 6 plans, you will reach CR 106. I know this for a fact. As when that was the top dlc, myself and many others had that exact gear and was 106 CR.

As for expert plans, you will need to run at least WotL2 dlc to get the Tier 6 expert plans. You cannot buy Synthetic T6X plans though, they can only be crafted. Also the plans should drop from AF2 as well.
    • Like x 7
  6. Wildboy Committed Player

There are some gaps. Origin Crisis has solo content that sheds gear to help you into the 4-person content. Likewise, Sons of Trigon has drops and vendor gear that can boost you a little closer to the T6, but not quite there without the 8-person content from Origin Crisis. War of the Light Pt 1 has the drops in 4 and 8 person content to get you closer to T6, but the solos are weekly resets and have no drops.

It's tough if you like to run solo or in a duo or with a small group of friends. I wish Origin Crisis had had a duo in it or HoP1 a solo but that's water under the bridge.

For now, just harvest as many MoF as you can and try to shout out for some groups to get the Symbols you need to get to the next tier. Also, keep working on SP. They are kinda like the Alternate Advancement track on EQII; they give you a little extra *oomph*.
    • Like x 1
  7. Legion_of_One Well-Known Player

Well, it's possible that the CR calculator is wrong, but it's been accurate so far and .4 is a big discrepancy. I presently have CR92 with Mod VI in chest, legs, head and shoulders. Everything else is 90 with mostly Mod III, and I hit 103.
  8. Wildboy Committed Player

The 90cr gear is a problem. You either need enough MoF to buy the 92 vendor gear and equip with VI mods *or* run the Intergang OP or League Hall Alert for the 93 drops. TryLFG; there are plenty of people in your situation who want good players to help them level-up. Don't be afraid of trying the Necropolis raid either. It is not very difficult, and drops 94 level gear plus other goodies.
    • Like x 1
  9. RoxyStormbringer Dedicated Player

When I was full 92 with VI mods, I was 106 CR. The CR calculator gives a rough estimate, but you need to remember to round to the nearest whole number, because our in game CR is rounded that way. Generally, .5 or better is rounded up, so please keep that in mind.

Also, you are in the 2% of players in this game, so you're going to have a hard time convincing the Devs to change their position. Honestly, this is a MMO, so you should try to make some friends and try the Alerts. I play all of the content and meet lots of nice people out there. Sure, there are some rude people out there, but they are rare.
    • Like x 7
  10. HersheyKiss New Player

Every tier usually ends up with content for everyone. Tier6 has 3 solos, 3 duos, 7 alerts and 7 raids now iirc. And a dev shouldnt have to tell u what u stated above. This is a mmo, not a 1rst person shooter. Thats common sense. U shouldnt be able to progress by only doing solos and duos. Bcuz u fail to group up with even 3 other people then that means the game isnt for u. Simple. The content is created for the majority of players, not the minority.

Its been small content dlc, large content dlc for how long now? And not every dlc had raids b4 and we people that love to raid got no content at all. U just got a solo in a large content dlc, be happy and go run it.
    • Like x 1
  11. Vesper Dedicated Player

You will get 106 from just Solo & Duo Amazon Fury 1 with t6 synths. You'll be fine to hit WotL2 and the solo/duo stuff there.
    • Like x 5
  12. FiveByFive New Player

playing just Amazon Fury part 1 and gearing up using that, you're able to reach CR106. that allows you into AF2 content (and that solo). you're not blocked or gated by the content at all.

playing only solo and duo content will make your progress to 106 extremely slow though.

you will probably struggle with that AF2 solo at CR106 though; unless you're a strong player and you're min/maxing at 106. it does have a guaranteed 98 gear reward at the end.
    • Like x 3
  13. FlexVibrant Well-Known Player

if you need help grinding, ill be more than glad to help
    • Like x 1
  14. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

This is really cool. So far the responders have been kind and helpful, usually there would be a few shall we say unkind responses by now.

To the Op I too prefer a solo path with game play so I feel your pain.
    • Like x 6
  15. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

Only a couple of things I want some clarification on here to better understand this.

I'm curious why the mechanics which are prevalent throughout the game has prevented you from getting into at least 4 man content. Also, how has it been uninviting? Is it not fully understanding the mechanics of the role or power that you need to play? Or are you meaning that some groups that you've tried running group content have made you feel less invited to venture into it more.

All of the content is available to you provided you have the appropriate CR. What you're doing is a choice. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing solo and duo content at times myself, but what you're doing is a conscious choice. Painting yourself into a corner as you put it. Yes, the game has been advertised as "play your way" but at the end of the day it is still an MMO. Multi-player.

Even Batman calls on the Justice League when the fit hits the shan.
    • Like x 4
  16. RamsesVIIX New Player

Dude I breezed from going on hiatus in this game for a few months (came back last month and had to trade in a lot of marks of reality). I was CR 98 now I'm 110. Just keep on modding and yeah the jump to 106 was a bit difficult. I did it mainly alone, would pug it up for the Halls of Power DLC. It was fun.
  17. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

Doesn't sound like this game is for you, I recommend Candy Crush or Trivia Crack.
    • Like x 1
  18. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

There is nothing doing you from playing your way and advancing through all dlcs. But there is no easy way to get to 106 without running at least 4 man content. You will have to grind for dull 92 gear and vi mods.

After that you will have 2 more solo. Altgough the new solo would be tough you may want to just stick with wotl2 solo and duo until you get enough 95 96 drops. The new solo awards 98 gear of your choice after you finish so once you get there you'll be able to progress easily again.
  19. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

I'm not going to lie, duo content is my favourite (and I don't mind solo content at all - much prefer it to raids). But you do have options if you only want to do solo/duo content. What I would highly recommend is to take it very slow with your friend, leveling up a few characters at once together, so that you are always one tier behind. This way by the time you get to T6 the rewards should be converted to MoT, which will mean that you will still be able to run some of the T5 content to assist in gearing up. And don't forget to run your vault every chance you get, since it gives marks based on CR now.

Ultimately I can't judge you for not running raids because I tend to avoid them like the plague, but I would encourage you to branch out and try some of the alerts. Trigon's Prison and Star Labs Research Facility for example are extremely fun (and I just queue for most things) and it would be a shame to miss out on some of these instances.
    • Like x 5
  20. Hawk Active Player

Skimmed it sorry. But it's an MMO to advance you have to play multiplayer content. If you need help send me a pm. PC mostly hero and sometimes vil.