Name Validation And Cross Play

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

Firstly, you can disagree with someone without resorting to name-calling. If anyone is being immature, it would be those who resort to such methods to win an argument. It is ineffective, pointless, and distracts from the point you are trying to make. You can do better.

Secondly, most people did what the devs told them to do: checked the census apps to make sure the name was available. People also added those occupying names they wanted to their Friends list, so when the name was changed it would show as having been changed. Further, many tried to check availability by seeing if the name they wanted could be added to their friends list. If it was not on their platform, it would say the name does not exist.

What we were not told was that the names were changed to a shared database between platforms. So no one knew to check the census on both platforms for a name, because up until this point whether a name was on one platform or the other made no difference. It would be like me checking to see if Zibnad Blaboo was a popular baby name on Mars: It makes no difference on Earth unless we are suddenly taking in Martian refugees. So, even though they followed the instructions given by the devs, no one bothered. Because it would have been tantamount to the above.

But surprise! We are taking in Martians, after all. And suddenly the names on the other platform matter a great deal.

Thirdly, many people DID use the method you've suggested of making an alt to check name availability. For a lot of people that worked. Good for them. Good for you. For a lot of people, though, it simply made the name vanish into thin air for everyone, and these people now have tickets into SOE to fix it. And I have every confidence that SOE will do so. But that doesn't change the fact that people were not given incredibly pertinent information with which to make a decision as to whether or not they should get a name changing device. And, honestly? Neither does calling them "prematures."

Fact is you're not *entirely* wrong, but when the administrators of the game give you instructions and you follow them, and you base decisions based on the instructions given, and that doesn't work because they did not share information relevant to that decision with you? Then the onus of responsibility is theirs to bear.

I am not faulting them on a moral or even ethical level for not sharing the information if they genuinely made a mistake and it was all a simple miscommunication. However, at the same time, ethics would dictate they should - as they have done - own up to their mistake, and make it right by allowing people a refund on a product they would not have purchased if they'd had that information.

And honestly? That sucks, too, because all things considered there are going to be some individuals who are going to take advantage of that to get a refund they DON'T deserve using that as grounds, because they simply didn't do their due diligence or they simply didn't get the name they wanted. And SOE deserves their money: It was a gamble and they knowingly took that risk. That's only fair.

But the majority of people expecting a refund did their due diligence and did not get what they wanted simply because they were not given all of the relevant information, and someone on the other platform (Mars, to continue the metaphor) already took the name they'd planned on. And SOE does not deserve their money.

There's a world of difference there. I hope that quiets your rage a bit. If it doesn't, try saying "Kooz frabah" a few times in a soothing tone. As for me, this is the last I'm saying on this topic as, frankly, I'm getting a little tired of repeating myself. Best of luck to you.
    • Like x 6
  2. Miggly Committed Player

A league mate of mine tried to change his name and someone from his former league snatch it and tried to sell it to him for 50 mill.
  3. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Wow, what a piece of ****.
    • Like x 2
  4. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

This whole situation and the fact that this bit of important information was intentionally left out prior to "the name reclaim" is nothing but classic bait and switch.

Anyone that purchased a name-change token or an additional character slot between January 6th and today should get credited the Station Cash spent for the simple fact that this information wasn't disclosed until after the fact. (And yes, I know the corporate line....contact customer support - I don't think anyone should have to.)

The last mega-server naming fiasco almost ruined my desire to play and continue to pay for this game. I got over it, but if you are serious about "Cross Play," I highly encourage SOE to consider alternate naming conventions and to separate the PS and PC naming servers upon doing so.
  5. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

That's easy to predict:
    • Macro is rare, hackers too.
    • Economy will turn into chaos until it stabilizes again (eg. EUPS has more cash in its economy than EUPC).
    • The spammers.... I hope that SOE finds a way to lock out the goldspammers from LFG and trade chats - I'd even support the idea of locking out lowlevels from these chats until a certain level (eg. 15 or 30).
    • What will be different is group interaction and the use of voicechat - we PC players rarely use the voice-chat and within leagues external programs are used. I see bigger changes coming here.
    • Like x 2
  6. Captain Liberty Developer

We will be increasing the Base Item cap to 500 across all platforms. On PS4 500 items will render just fine. On PS3, the 200 most relevant will render, and when you move to a different part of your Lair (if you have a fully packed Lair) then the relevancy list will update and you'll see "new" items pop into place. I think it's a pretty good compromise, and certainly a boon to PS4 players.
    • Like x 27
  7. MoreAwesomeMechanic New Player

Im actaully on both so there's that. Also you are completely twisting my words though yes when money is basically ten from me then I have the right to be rude especially if they are acting as though I should be grateful for the cross play. I'm not say simply because I payed money I can be rude I'm saying I can be rude because the money I paid basically bought me nothing if it turns out I have to change my name.

Let me put it this way. I have renamed 1 character 3 times before finally settling in the one I like. That's 30$ that if that name gets taken away from I've lost. You better believe losing 30 bucks for nothing gives me the right to be pissed off and rude.
    • Like x 1
  8. Elusian Crowd Control

I wanted to upvote this twice or more but the forums didnt let me *boo* :(
  9. Captain Liberty Developer

We have actually implemented entitlement caching for PS4 players. You may not have noticed it, but service outages have been smaller on PS4 (about what they were on PS3) since we implemented it. It does not mean login problems completely disappear, but it's much better than it was (there were days last spring where PS4 players were shut out of DCUO for more than 8 hours, whereas PS3 players were back in 2 or 3). Just as a reminder, we also implemented PSN Disconnect functionality (we are no longer forced to disconnect players when they lose connection to PSN - rather, we issue warnings when that happens, and give them a 2+ hour window to reestablish connection before booting them from the game). This was a much bigger, more persistent problem, and the reason for the vast majority of disconnections on PlayStation platforms.
    • Like x 9
  10. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Will it be possible to increase the max-item limit for the big window room (I think it is called observation... something :oops:) of the league halls? Since it is shared with some of the hallways we reached the cap far too soon :(. Or make the hallways seperate from that big room.
    • Like x 2
  11. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

It's too bad with the cross play that the PS still won't be able to be on test.
    • Like x 2
  12. Brennsinger Well-Known Player

Kristyana's suggestion is nice, but still would aesthetically alter my displayed name. Would different colors work?

For league names, maybe you could only change the brackets?

<Odyssey> for PS, and
    [Odyssey] for PC?
    • Like x 8
  13. same Johnny Dedicated Player

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but...

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...on-and-cross-play.235439/page-20#post-3054866

"On a related note, we are working on account linking (linking a PSN account to an SOE account) - that would allow PS members to be recognized by SOE for PC Test validation. I know that's not as nice as a dedicated PlayStation Test, but for those PS3/PS4 players that have a PC and would like to partake in early access on PC Test, it will be possible in the not too distant future"
    • Like x 2
  14. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

That would be pretty nice actually. My PC isn't the greatest, but I could at least get to have a look at things.
  15. Captain Liberty Developer

Economies will merge as well. I suspect that there will be a little bit of PC-player sticker shock (really only on the Broker) when it first happens, but it should normalize relatively quickly. It may not be obvious to most players, but the US PS economy has been slowly draining over the last year and a half (all in-game economies have, but it's most apparent on US PS). I know there are many factors that determine pricing on the Broker, but many items are a lot cheaper than they used to be in the bad old days of easy money.
    • Like x 7
  16. SiiCK1 New Player

Thank you!
  17. Redman_x Well-Known Player

Captain, just wondering how the voice chat will work across both platforms. The PS has their own universal voice chat. Will the PS playerbase have to change anything to talk with the PC playerbase, or vice versa?
  18. Knife Edge Level 30

Or how about every character and league gets a hidden address, but a "display as" in game. Example: address = "PS.Brennsinger" but in game it's displayed as just "Brennsinger". To invite for groups or send tells you will therefore use the hidden address - /t PS.Brennsinger or /friend .... etc.
    • Like x 2
  19. Captain Liberty Developer

Sadly, you won't be able to "connect" your PC and PS accounts like this. Per our arrangement with SCEA (PlayStation) PC and PS accounts will remain separate. The account linking that I'm referring to is limited, and will initially be used to verify a PS account on our PC Test server.
    • Like x 7
  20. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Any reason the non-pink placement circles don't disappear when free-placement is unlocked?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.