Name Validation And Cross Play

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Business Man9 New Player

pretty freaking awesome
  2. Nawtae Well-Known Player

I don't know why I laughed at this as hard as I did.
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

a person could have easily created a new toon to try to get an name they wanted and bought a name change token at a later date to transfer the name.. no one forced anyone to changed the name that was a chance they took on their own.. while not ideal for them to hear that is still the reality of their situation
  4. IMighty ManI Active Player

The only thing that surprises me about any of this is that so many players were dumb enough to buy up rename tokens before they were sure they were getting the name they wanted. Of course you're not going to get a refund because getting the name you want was never promised. A chance was all you ever had.
    Having said that, it is incredible BS to expect players to believe that you couldn't anticipate what the reaction was going to be like and that is why you omitted such important information as "hey, we're also going to combine the names list of the PC and PS players, so that will entirely change the available list of names, by the way." You saw a cash cow in waiting to mention this until after the fact. Not well-played though because you've already lost some customers over it. It does make a lot more sense why the servers had to be down so long yesterday, though.

The service of this game has been so bad lately I have to consider moving on myself after all these years. Not a single name I wanted became available after an entire day of waiting for the servers to come back online with extension after extension to the downtime. The game was down all night when SoE's stupid zombie game released the other day. During all of that time yesterday, I managed to update my Champions Online account and played a free version character to pass the time. I came to remember the powerful characters I have in that game who actually have their correct names, plus the way you can pick any power from any tree and totally customize your character, plus they have vehicles and more than only 4 travel power options like this game has. I also got to see the updates they've made since I last played and considering the bad service SoE has provided consistently lately without recompense, I am trying to decide what I will do when my subscription ends at the end of Feb. I'm considering Champions Online, but leaning toward cancelling this and not bothering with MMO's anymore. I will probably just go back to retro console games where I don't have to worry about crap like this and bad customer service.

Grundy hates bad service.
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Transfers between platforms will not be possible, for the reasons suggested. Money paid to one platform goes to different people than money paid on the other.
    • Like x 2
  6. chubbychase New Player

Apparently, no linking of any sort will occur. It just means PS players can play with PC players. :(
    *sobs*
  7. wisetoons Well-Known Player

Dcuo clearly going on wrong direction, the good they would do is to merge continents instead platforms, pc and ps merge will be a big headache but eups and usps merge would be the best thing ever along with uspc annd eupc server merge, all happy. Now i am going to open a thread about which merge would you prefer
    • Like x 1
  8. Nawtae Well-Known Player

Actually it's broken right now and you can't seem to do that. A lot of people saved names on an alt, bought a rename token, deleted the name and went to rename their toon...poof...name is gone into the abyss. No one took the name on either server. It's just 'gone'. So I don't recommend doing that at the moment. :D
    • Like x 1
  9. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

US and EU servers are physically located on different continents, so that ping times and lag are as low as possible. We have no plans to change that.
    • Like x 3
  10. IMighty ManI Active Player

That's perfect. LOL
    • Like x 1
  11. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

Cross play, is it because the player base is so small nowadays or because the game is running so smoothly that cross play would go off without a hitch?

It feels like we'd be adding forced induction, a GREAT thing, to a motor with a blown head gasket .
    • Like x 1
  12. Sore Steadfast Player

RIP Teamspeak, rebirth of in-game chat for PC?

I've seen people comment on performance.

Client-side, let's not forget that someone on PC may be using a high end machine while someone else may be using an aged budget machine. That discrepancy already exists. Comparing the performance of a PS3, PS4 or PC isn't going to be a big deal because the server's going to do the same thing regardless. You can assume a PS3 and an aging low-end PC will both have issues with rendering time and may even be prone to crashing. A PS4 and high-end PC will keep up with rendering just fine. Don't forget that game rendering is sync'd to a certain number of frames per second. A faster PC just means more idle cycles on the CPU.

Server-side behavior of transmitting packets, processing commands, and manipulating the database is the same whether you are PC, PS3 or PS4. PC, PS3 and PS4 will let you know your opponent blocked as fast as each other. The only way you'll get to know sooner is if your network connection is faster (more bandwidth and lower latency). A PC player can use a $10,000 computer on a slow connection and they'll have more issues with responsiveness than a PS3 player with fiber to their house, albeit they may load textures and models faster when rezzing into a zone. If you put a PS3 player and high-end PC player both on fiber, again, PC will load textures faster but they won't see a block much more than a handful of milliseconds before the PS3 player.

If you really want to talk about an advantage, it's going to be the keyboard. It'll be clipping (wherever still applicable). It'll be in popping trinkets in the utility belt. It'll be in sliding the mouse around to view the battlefield. It'll be in things that can make a marginal but real difference in the hands of Obsidian Chill and Clutch but probably doesn't matter at all to a player like the rest of us.
    • Like x 4
  13. MoreAwesomeMechanic New Player

Then I will quit if you end up merging the PC and PS and I have to change the name I have because the people on PC have a diminishing popluation. That is completely ridiculous to make the PS have to change their name in something that will have little to no effect on their play experience. This is SOLEY a change that will help the PC players by giving them a larger popluation than they have. PS players don't have that issue and if we have to lose something because of that I will quit and others will as well as the amount of irritation just the whole not being able to change to a name that is on the other server has caused proves that.

Reason being, I have 4 characters that I run end game content with that I have used at least 1 rename token on each. If I have to change any of their names you just stole $10 from me. Some I have used more than 1 rename token so if have to rename one of those you are looking at $20-$30 and I WILL be expecting that money back.
  14. wisetoons Well-Known Player

i live in europe and i have an US account, i played on USPS server for a while without any problems, also as i know both EUPS server and USPS server are located in US, am i wrong? most of the EUPS community dreaming to play with USPS people, and trust me the game will be better for all then.
    • Like x 1
  15. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

There's more to it than that my friend. Clients and servers must be equally capable in sending and receiving data. It doesn't matter my bandwidth capacity when it's already choked on the other end, at some point your fancy pants isp doesn't do you any more good than someone who is also meeting what's necessitated. There's also only so much data reciprocity required for the game to perform at an optimal level, all of which is affected by numerous factors. More bandwidth doesn't always equate to more or higher quality data, just than it CAN.
    • Like x 1
  16. Breakforce Loyal Player

Yeah but what about people that use their laptop trackpads? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think only like 5 people will get that joke.
    • Like x 1
  17. Hemmy Committed Player

but...but...all my dreams...
  18. Ultimate Alpha Well-Known Player

If we successfully renamed a toon yesterday night, is that name safe? Or is there some future name-merger coming wherein we might get screwed?
  19. AtomicWarfare New Player

Utterly disappointed with this so called "Name Reclaim" very pathetic on the devs behalf.
  20. Captain Liberty Developer

We had to work closely with SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment, the PlayStation group) to work out the logistics of Cross-Play, and are in the process of implementing features to support the launch. I can answer your first question, and unfortunately you won't be able to transfer accounts from PC to PS or vice-versa. We do plan to allow players to intermingle freely, and not limit this to just instances or any other artificial constraint. So, you could always invite your PC players to PS leagues. Account login and Marketplace will be separate (you won't see MC and SC intermingled). As to name conflicts that could arise from this, we're still working on exactly how to manage that. We are going to distinguish players by platform in Friends list, and other social menus. I do like what Kristyana suggested (allowing for name conflicts, with the platform name displayed to differentiate players with the same name), but I have to see if we can implement such a system. We may need to append names and grant rename tokens to anyone impacted by such action. We'll let people know as soon as we can.

As far as other concerns brought up in this thread, I wanted to shed light on some of the things we're working on to support the launch:
    • Latency reduction (there will be some improvement with GU 44, but more will come prior to or with the launch of Cross Play).
    • Server optimizations to handle larger concurrent player populations.
    • Additional cheat detection work - doing what we can to assuage the concerns of all players regarding cheating.
    • Like x 20
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.