Name Validation And Cross Play

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristyana New Player

There's a small amount of input lag built into the PS that PC doesn't have. That doesn't necessarily make one group better players than the others, but the PS players know how to compensate for it, similar to playing Quake with the railgun on dialup and learning to lead your shots.

This has proven to be a big problem for the PS3 teams during Legends tournaments at SOE Live. They play with PS3 controllers but they are wired into a PC where this delay isn't present. It's very hard to adapt because your character reacts a fraction of a second faster. This throws off clipping and other actions, and as a result most PS3 teams get knocked out in the first or second rounds.

I'm sure the situation would be reversed if PC players had to deal with input lag, but there you go.
  2. AgentX44 Committed Player

Let me try to conjecture what will happen for your question:

1) I want to play my PS characters while I travel on my PC.- this might not happen. it's a character names database merge, not an account merge.
  3. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

This will not have any impact on either.
    • Like x 2
  4. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Not really oppose to a economy reset. I don't mind losing my millions.
    • Like x 1
  5. Hemmy Committed Player

True but what will happen if I log into the same named character on both platforms then go into an instance together. Even if it is just for the purposes of queuing, it's going to need a lot of work. There are things that need to be thought through. It's a domino effect with a bunch of these problems. This one feature calls for a lot of things that could potentially break the game if they are not addressed.
  6. AgentX44 Committed Player

Mepps did mention that one of those characters might be renamed later when they do deploy cross-play already.
  7. The Kid Blurr Well-Known Player

So yeah Sony customer support was unhelpful, again...gonna stick with the Mepps train and hopefully it works out
  8. Hemmy Committed Player

okay, thank you. I think that would make sense and can't really see it happening any other way but what about all those other questions I have?
  9. Sore Steadfast Player

That's not a bad idea. I might wait until Cross Play comes to see how they handle the Census as a source. Anything I do now might be made irrelevant if they change the source any.
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

This won't be possible. All we're looking at here is allowing players to play together. Accounts won't be combined. A PC account remains a PC account, a PS a PS account, and so on.
    • Like x 6
  11. Hemmy Committed Player

Thank you for the answer but what will happen if I log into the same named character on both platforms then go into an instance together?Even if it is just for the purposes of queuing, this wouldn't work or it would and be very confusing. There are things that need to be thought through. It's a domino effect with a bunch of these problems. This one feature calls for a lot of things that could potentially break the game if they are not addressed. Thanks again!
  12. Kristyana New Player

You'd think that, but "seniority" means a lot more now four years into the game than it did when it was a few months old and the megaserver merge happened.
  13. AgentX44 Committed Player

well, i couldn't find any other question mark so it was hard to see what the other questions were. For league names, I haven't seen any Mepps response yet :)
  14. Hemmy Committed Player

Okay fair, enough they weren't really questions, just things I wanted to do or facts that I thought needed pointing out because they need addressing :
    I pay for legendary on both PS and PC I have characters I want to keep on both. I have more than 30 characters across those two platforms. I have leagues with the same name on the two different servers. I have characters with the same name on both platforms.
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

This will not be possible, either. No changes will be made to accounts.
  16. AgentX44 Committed Player

Refer to Mepps' post here:

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...alidation-and-cross-play.235439/#post-3053528

So it seems once cross-play is deployed, there might be another rename.
    • Like x 1
  17. Kristyana New Player

Is there any word as to whether this will be a true server merge, sharing nightclubs/faction HQs/open world or merely a cross-faction instance server?

If it's not too late to change, please present my idea to the higher ups regarding changes to names. It may be a bit harder to implement from a technological standpoint, but it seems that it would be a better solution for the community and players than to force name changes on people.
  18. Hemmy Committed Player

That seems logical. Thanks! Shame there's no addressing of the league names though. In addition I'm very curious to see if this will work across open world content as well. Will I be able to wave to myself in the middle of Metropolis?
    • Like x 1
  19. Cursed Khagan Well-Known Player

This is wonderful news! Cannot wait to play alongside the PC villains. :D
  20. Hemmy Committed Player

OH! now that this is in place, will I be able to transfer characters from one platform to another? I've asked this of customer support but the only excuse they've had so far was that they are two different servers run by two different companies. If this comes to pass then surely those barriers would at least be easier to cross. I'd be willing to pay nearly any amount of money to do this.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.