Name Validation And Cross Play

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Name Validation

As many of you have noticed, name validation after today's maintenance is now per region, meaning US PS and US PC share what names are available (and EU PC and EU PS). This means that a name taken on one server is also taken on the other.

We do want to apologize for the lack of messaging ahead of time on this point. We did not appropriately consider how this information would impact your expectations and behavior with regard to name reclaim, and realize it does make it quite difficult to assess whether or not the name you want is available in-game.

That said, why did we make this change?

Cross Play

The answer is Cross Play. Cross Play would allow PC, PS3, and PS4 players to play together, just as PS3 and PS4 players do now, per region. The benefits are many, from decreased queue times (which we expect to greatly improve the game on the villain side) to a greater, more unified community. No more friends separated by platform. No more disappointment when you meet a DCUO player online but can't play with them. If they're on the same continent, you can.

Cross Play has been a major request across our communities from the very beginning, and one we're hopeful we can deliver on in the future. In the past, Cross Play has not been possible for several reasons, some technical. But, with further improvements to our server architecture, the technical limitations have been mostly eliminated, and we believe there is a good chance Cross Play will be a reality in the future.

Looking forward to this possibility, we did not want players to see names so happily acquired today, even purchased with Rename Tokens, be modified or lost again in the future. For this reason, in preparation for Cross Play, name validation is shared per region.

Again, we regret that this was not messaged better or sooner, and will endeavor to do so in the future. As it stands, millions of names have been reclaimed and made available, and we wish you good luck in finding the ones that work best for you.
    • Like x 79
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

For those of you with concerns, please do not hesitate to our contact customer support team for assistance. http://help.soe.com
  3. Radium Devoted Player

Well than...

What are the last hurdles preventing this from happening?
    • Like x 8
  4. Kristyana New Player

Will there be a refund issued to those who bought name change tokens and/or character slots under these circumstances?

The cross-play is a fantastic thing, if it pans out, but I doubt the members affected and the community as a whole will focus on that until the issue at hand gets resolved.
    • Like x 17
  5. DustyAnkh Loyal Player

I'm going to bite my tongue here and just ask a constructive question.

I have the same name on both US PS and US PC. What will happen ?
    • Like x 11
  6. Prosser Dedicated Player

Well now. That's interesting.
  7. The Kid Blurr Well-Known Player

....*slowly claps* Well...Cross playing between me and my PS3 and PS4 DCUO members. All I ask for, and I ask for all of us who meet this issue, is the players who want names that are NOT shared between all 3 Platforms and. Both EU and US
  8. AgentX44 Committed Player

if this pans out, we will now get double the gold spammers on LFG chat. hahaha... plus lag complaints, cheating/hacking complaints... but it is an interesting direction.
    • Like x 2
  9. RJTally31 Active Player

During the name reclamation process our regional databases were tied together. This means that USPC and USPS servers share the same name database now. The reason the name is not valid is due to it being taken on the USPS server. Unfortunately you are not going to be able to get that name.

Regards,

Head GM Kaeldread
    Customer Service Manager
    Sony Online Entertainment LLC

I replayed with

We were not informed of this happening prior to this and wasn't informed until 2 hours after reclaim event. Also we were informed to look at Census data to see is the name is going to be available. I did both DCUO Live and WaveDox websites available to us without trying to read html data . Tally on USPC was changed cause they never logged on. TALLY USPS on wavedox does not show up and DCUO Live shows a Character that is level 30 with a pve cr of 0 and no stats or paper doll. So now I am at a loss of what to do. The player is on USPS I have no way to ask for the name as I am a US PC player I bought a name change token that I cant use. I fail to see how my issue has been resolved?
    • Like x 3
  10. Redman_x Well-Known Player

Will we ever be able to do cross faction PvE? I think this would help alleviate a lot of que times too, and also allow for a lot of us with high cr toons on the villain side to play with friends on the hero side. (And vice versa).
    • Like x 1
  11. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

What is going to be done to stop macros? Also, is PS3 going to finally be dropped? Putting a PS3 players against ps4 is already unfair, but against pc players is just cruel

Also, will this finally grant ps users access to pc test?
    • Like x 23
  12. Zernam New Player

Thanks for this explanation - from a technological standpoint we've seen other cases in other systems where people from separate servers would be suffixed with an ID so you could have Joe-PC and Joe-PS in the same instance. Based on this recent naming logic I'm guessing that was either not an option or at best not a cost-effective one.

It's unfortunate this was discovered during the excitement and fervor of this name reclaim, it's put a bit of a dampener on the day.

All that said, Cross Play is a good direction.

Cheers
    • Like x 1
  13. AgentX44 Committed Player

cross faction PVE might be a harder thing to do as the instances are different in the art and story department (like you play against Circe in TD as a hero, but against WW as a villain... now how would you play if it's cross faction?)
    • Like x 4
  14. TheChromeKnight Well-Known Player

Thank you for the info :)

That leaves me with one more question:

If Player A has a character named "John Smith" on USPC.
    Player B has a character named "John Smith" on USPS
    Both are active players.

How will you decide who gets the name when this "Cross Play" goes live?
    • Like x 11
  15. LashLightning New Player

I had a short of list of characters names I wanted, none of which I got because they were already taken on active accounts that people are squating on.

Glad I didnt buy the rename tokens beforehand.

As for Cross Play that would be the best thing for the long term in keeping this game going. I play a few characters on the USPC Villains side and the lower population there makes it hard to level them up. I'm 100% behind making that happen.
    • Like x 4
  16. Jafin 10000 Post Club

From the sounds of the post this is still just a pipe dream. Why inflict this now if you're not even 100% sure it will be possible to merge the servers have crossplay in the near future?

Luckily I did not spend money on rename tokens and managed to get names for future characters that I wanted, but I am so enraged for all the people that have lost money on this. It is completely unacceptable behaviour and I do not believe for one second that you all "didn't anticipate" this kind of thing happening.
    • Like x 12
  17. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 26
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

It's a bit too early to tell, but likely one will be modified in the process.
    • Like x 1
  19. King Felsa New Player

Well, considering the name I want is this:
    [IMG]

I would love to get that name stripped from whoever is not using it.
    • Like x 2
  20. Cristian Stoica New Player

I feel like this is a cop out. When is this so called "cross play" supposed to happen. You messed up and dangling false promises won't fix it. I'm probaly done anyway my usps3 account is the same as my uspc account was. I can't acess my USPS account and now I lost my name because of a token bugged
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.