Can we get a clear answer: Selling Content Resets?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Proxystar, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Proxystar #Perception

https://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28387/kw/dcuo code of conduct

This has raised quite the grey area with the recent introduction of "sharing replay badges" or resetting content for other people. resetting for "only friends" doesn't really set any kind of restriction because it's quite easy to just add and remove a friend after completion of the transaction.

There are many people that have now taken to LFG/TRADE advertising to reset anyones content in exchange for 'in game currency' or "items of value, such as exobits'.

the DCUO code of conduct says you are not allowed to sell or buy in game items with real world money.

By trading "replay badges" bought with "real money" for "in game currency" or "items" these players are surely in breach of the DCUO code of conduct?

I don't understand how this got introduced without first considering both the code of conduct and potential flow on effect to the games actual in game economy as well.

In game currency will quickly start to tip to the people that have the most "real life money or replays" with no guarantee at all that money will efficiently continue to cycle back through the games economy. This has the power to quite significantly damage the in game economy and allow the economy has a whole to be controlled by certain individuals.

I cannot believe the actual danger of this type of thing wasn't considered seemingly at all?

Maybe there needs to be some kind of limit put on it, like you can only reset for one individual once per week or something of that nature, or once per day - there has to be some balances put in check because at the moment it's a free for all and I can't see how this isn't just as damaging as those people that just straight up sell in game currency through LFG that everyone complains about.
    • Like x 13
  2. Jumpnit Dedicated Player

agreed It is seemingly the same act as cash for gold 100%
  3. Sbel Devoted Player

Except this involves SOE getting the real money instead of some gold farmers getting it.
    • Like x 7
  4. Vesper Dedicated Player

Barely a week live on this, and I've already seen tanks advertising their "services": "Will tank t6 for raid reset + $200K".

It's insane. I didn't think this was a good idea on Test, and I like the actual Live version even less.
  5. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

This decision has had my eyebrows dancing around my scalp since it was announced. I was never a fan of replays in the first place, and this fad of them becoming a defacto currency has me very, very worried. One of my reasons for going legendary was that I didn't need to worry about paying for anything in the game except when my subscription came up for renewal. I'm really quite worried that keeping a cache of replays in order for me to keeps groups going is going to be a monthly expense. If that happens, I know my enthusiasm level is going to diminish quickly.
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

SOE getting the actual money doesn't negate the fact it's damaging to the game economy itself.

Surely SOE have to decide are they going to control it and condone it, or outlaw it; cause I'd like to know where I stand as a player when it comes to these sorts of transactions and what effect it might have.
  7. Kyzax New Player

My only issue with the newly implemented reset system is that during queues it's more difficult to actually get over to the ready up area because for some interesting reason the game loves to make players on the Playstation get stuck in the reset/purchase replays section. Before it wasn't as burdensome because I could click on a different instance that I was not locked from and, then scroll over to ready up. Now that it gives the option to reset for everyone in the queue it's rare to find an instance option to click that someone in the group is not locked from to make it easier to scroll over to ready up.
  8. TrueArchon Dedicated Player

The game has always had mercenary players. I myself have hit groups up for 200 to 400k for trolling, when no other available troll was around. And only when I was hard up on cash or loot-locked from what the group was doing.
    But this...is an abominable game feature. This has made it so that the one who has the most real money can essentially control the economy of the entire game.
    Whoever that may be might as well respec their toon's name to Rothschild or Rockefeller.

This was not a good idea, the way it has been implemented.
    I would have implemented a six month barrier on this. People on my friend list that have actively run with me numerous times, been on my voice chat, and regular contact with me, in-game for a total of six month's time would be able to share replays with me, and vice-versa...provided I am on their friend-list as well
  9. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I agree hitting people up for fake game money is fine, that's nothing but leisure time invested, real money though is another kettle of fish. Maybe it's because I'm notoriously cheap, but right now the game is good bang for my buck, every extra real dollar diminishes the return I'm getting for my entertainment dollar, and makes me look at the game through an actuarial lens.
  10. CJisInsane Active Player

This is insane, back in the early days me and my friends would joke around and offer our services for 250k. It was laughed it back then, never in my wildest dreams did I think it would actually happen years later.
  11. Sbel Devoted Player

SOE has already been allowing people to convert real money into in-game cash with the booster bundles.

I dunno, I don't really see it as that big a deal. You can't really buy much with in game cash. The most they can do is mess with the broker, and you don't need to buy anything on the broker.

You say that this will "allow the economy has a whole to be controlled by certain individuals." But even if they could, what can they actually do with it? Drive up the prices of exobits? Great news for bit famers, bit buyers might have go synthetic or farm their own. Drive down the prices of exobits? Great news for everyone who buys bits, bit farmers... will what? Lose their houses and cars? No, they'll just go and farm something that sells better. Buy up all of the unique auras? So people have to make do with common ones.

I'm just not seeing that much harm coming from this. The only negatives I see is, in the short term I may have to add some people to my ignore list for spamming or for trying to hold a group hostage for replays.
    • Like x 9
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Given the rarity of the the exclusive auras from the booster bundles and their exclusivty they are limited in number and do limited damage to the economy as a whole. They come and they go with no guarantee of every returning to quote the developers.

This is seen to be a permanent feature of the game and without restriction is going to allow the ongoing conintual trade of "real world currency" in the form of replay badges.

If the developers are going to leave this as is, then I think it needs to be expressed because as it is now people can potentially be extorted not knowing the true value of what they're purchasing, what exactly is the "in game value" of a raid reset for example.

At the moment the rules don't appear to condone this type of behaviour so no one is exactly sure. Even if for arguments sake I wasn't entirely against the idea isn't it fair to the community to make it clear whether they intend to allow this sort of behaviour so that the community can then decide what is a fair price for something.

This allows the economy to decide something based on supply and demand and avoids tipping the power in favour of the few.

That being said I'm still not particularly a fan of this feature and would like to see further restrictions such as that which has been raised. Only legendary players can "reset instances" for other legendary players, or you have to have played the game for a certain time etc.

There just needs to be clear intention as to what this feature has been added for, did anyone even ask for it? Why don't they just give us the ability to exchange station cash between accounts if they're going to do this or gift items from the marketplace?
    • Like x 2
  13. Oriole New Player

well said
  14. Dylan Top5 New Player

Don't like it? Don't use it
    • Like x 5
  15. Anima Committed Player

^^

OP, don't tell anyone, but, I used scanners to find my exobits, and I sold them on the broker.
    • Like x 7
  16. Proxystar #Perception

This is exactly why I'm asking if this type of trade is against the rules or not, I would like to know so it is clear.
  17. 1ndab0x176 New Player

just dont pay them w in game cash or reset them. no where does it say u have too.
    • Like x 2
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

A.) Yes, however....

B.) This, more or less.

If you wanna argue this as an actual violation of TOS, sure, but there are probably better trees to bark up. Personally, sharing Replays is a cute idea for helping out friends and Leaguemates, but like any other potentially amusing idea in this game? Someone will attempt to abuse it for profitability. The word 'profitable' seems a little... improperly applied here though.

I dunno, I can imagine that SOME ******* out there is willing to shell out 4 dollars worth of Replay Badges just to get through a Raid, but I imagine that there are also enough Tanks out there who realize that they're not Solo'ing a raid either to prevent this from making a lasting negative impact on the in-game situation. I think this, honestly, is this month's 'Synth Mods'.
    • Like x 3
  19. Omega Boy Committed Player

I could care less if people are trading replay badges for goods and/or services as long as those doing the trading are aware of the potential to be ripped off. There's no way to trade simultaneously. Someone is trusting the other person to complete the transaction. (Maybe they should be a field in the trade window just like cash?). I don't want customer service overwhelmed with so many scams that they can't deal with real issues.
    • Like x 2
  20. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

It's obvious that there are people who are not okay with this for various reasons, but I personally don't think the devs will do anything as it could potentially cut into replay badge sales. If you are one of these people who don't like it, and want it to stop, might I suggest you (and your friends/leaguemates) try killing or damaging the market? Every time you see someone shouting that they'll tank for a reset, offer to do it for free. And most importantly stick around until the bitter end. If enough people do this then there wont be the market for these people to sell their services. Because that's why they can get away with it. There are people who need Tanks/Healers/Controllers and they want them bad enough that they're willing to pay. Provide it for free and they wont feel that they have to.
    • Like x 4