Fire AM: Breaking Game-Wide Rules

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TrueGODofMarvel, Dec 17, 2014.

1. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

So... Can someone politely inform me, why Fire's AM is actually contradictory to every current AM mechanic? I know people have justified complaints about Mass Dets inconsistency. But I don't even feel that is the sole issue.

Another understated issue is that, Fireburst is weaker than Mass Det. The Risk Vs. Reward system is not in play. The dynamic between Fireburst and Mass Det is completely opposite the dynamic between Arctic Gust and Avalanche. EMP and Dart. Mass Terror and Mass Levitation.

And for some reason the risk that the cast time can be interrupted is not considered when evaluating the damage. It's not like Ice's AM. You get interrupted during Fire's Am and you get NOTHING. You get interrupted during Ice's AM? Your damage is only partially halted. Hell I feel most of the damage is on the front end of the channel anyway lol.

People who ask for a fix to Mass Det are right. The move is too inconsistent. But where is all of the cries of justice for Fireburst?

And I have also considered the fact that Fireburst is a primarily a set-up power and not a finisher. It is similar to distract/stealth in that regard. Interesting.... So unlike other AM's Fire has only one finisher??? Either way, it is inconsistent. An inconsistent one at that?
    • Like x 44
  2. ApolloMystique New Player

you sir...are a gentleman and a scholar!
    • Like x 6
  3. Fools Fire Loyal Player

Another difference which I mentioned in another topic... Fireburst gives you extra damage if the opponent is also electrified, frostbitten, or both. Shouldn't this also be a feature for Mass Detonation?
    • Like x 1
  4. Avian Dedicated Player

Fireburst isn't part of the AM's enhanced damage, Mass Detonation and Flame Cascade are. What I don't get is why Flame Cascade's damage even with volatility does incredibly low damage..
    • Like x 3
  5. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

So i guess you need like 8k might to even get 30+k crits -.-
    • Like x 1
  6. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

So it's a set up power only? While FC and MD are considered the finishers?

Needless to say that is beyond inconsistent
    • Like x 2
  7. Burnt New Player

Devs hate fire :(
    • Like x 10
  8. Magnificent Loyal Player

Mass Det's wild fluctuations on damage have been a point of ire since the game was released.
    • Like x 4
  9. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

I know. But lets not get too tunnel visioned is all I'm saying :)
    • Like x 3
  10. Avian Dedicated Player

Yup. MD is inconsistent while Flame Cascade is rather consistent, consistent in incredibly low damage that is.
    • Like x 2
  11. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

This^^ Although the OP mentions the other AMs, a lot of the focus is on Fire v Ice, talking about Fireburst. Fireburst's ice equivalent is Frost Blast, which is still quite interruptible, cast time, unable to move, and will lose all damage if interrupted. There's plenty of parity there.

As far as the AMs are concerned, each power is supposed to have something special or "awesome" about that power. I'd have to look it up, but I believe Fire's AM is not supposed to be in a class with Ice, Gadgets, or Mental (as quoted) ... but in a class with Nature ... as a DoT power. The frustration, as I hear it (haven't had a Fire toon in a loooong time), is that Nature has plenty of time to renew their DoTs but, because of cast times, Fire has little time renew their DoTs and constantly needs to be renewing them. That, and inconsistent damage from MD.
    • Like x 1
  12. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

Your knowledge of the AMs is factually incorrect.

Dots are not apart of the Fire's AM. Fire's AM is of the same philosophy as Ice's Am so that comparison is warranted. Also Ice's frost blast has absolutely no baring on this discussion. Fireburst and FrostBlast are no longer comparative. Here is a rundown

Fire Vs Ice Chart
    Mass Det/ Flame Cascade = Arctic Gust/ Avalanche
    Volatility(flame cascade) = Chill Effects/Ice Armor
    Thermal Absorption(absorb heat, burning Det) = Cold Snap mechanic
    Fireburst = Ice armor maxed out
    Burning = Ice Field

The chart is not completely accurate because of the inconsistency that resides in the Fire AM
    • Like x 2
  13. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I feel like Flame cascade's job should be given to fire burst. My reasoning is because of how Tunso himself said that fire was supposed be a build up for the big boom while Ice is channeled damage. Flame Cascade is a channeled power. I feel we should be able to use fire burst as our big bang at close range....(like how we use it pre nerf cough cough I mean fix). What I find ironic and a little funny is that Fireburst was nerfed/fixed because the devs felt it did too much damage and fire was centralized on one power but they develop a mechanic that centralizes us to another power. You all could have simply allowed Fireburst to do pre nerf/fix damage and we would have been happy. The developers essentially did redundant work in hindsight.

EDIT: Look at fire tanking. It took years for us to get looked at and all it took were relatively simple fixes. All of a sudden Fire tanking has viable survivability. I like the changes but it seems like we waited forever for something so simple. When you look at the time When HL was hit hard because of JC nerfing and dovetail duration increase , we saw a rapid turnaround to put HL in a state of Viability. I am amazed that Fire has to wait so long. Our Community may not be as bit but I think we are just as important. The wait doesn't bother me so much as the lack communication with regards to fire. When we do get communication we get a polite "deal with it". You guys have made on the change flies to HL AM in the testing thread and Introduced and removed Block interrupt in the ice thread all for the purpose of testing out what works but you can say okay guys let take a look at MD, FB, etc and try a few things to see what keeps the spirit of fire and what works.
    • Like x 5
  14. Fools Fire Loyal Player

They also took away the DoT from Spontaneous Combustion for some reason. Before they did this, I thought Fire should get a buff if it had three DoTs going at once. Inferno, Spontaneous Combustion, and Overheat for example.

Now, it would probably be Inferno, Overheat, and Wildfire.
  15. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

When you say "Dot" do you mean Spont C. procs or its burning dot?

because the burning Dot would be overwritten regardless... and actually Spont C. still has its procs.... It just happens inconsistently and nearly instantly after the main burst hit.
  16. Fools Fire Loyal Player

Spontaneous Combustion used to have it's own burning DoT which stacked with Inferno and Overheat. It was great because you had all three going at once. I had Tanks laughing and freaking out sometimes at all the numbers flashing around.
    • Like x 1
  17. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Fire and Mental are the redheaded stepchildren of DCUO.
    • Like x 8
  18. Lacedog Loyal Player

Earth. Drops mic...
    • Like x 9
  19. Stark23 Committed Player

As stated FB isn't an alternate to MD like Arctice Gust and Avalanche or Mass Lev and Mass Terror. FB was a way to skip the 3 step set up of Volatility with Flame Cascade. But, when they changed Volatility be at max level on one cast of Flame Cascade they never did anything different with FB, making it obsolete.
    • Like x 3
  20. Stark23 Committed Player

Yup, you nailed it. I run all 3 of those dots, it's a beautiful thing. 3 dots rolling with WM into SC.