Please Fix Targeting

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by MetaMax75, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 478874 Dedicated Player

I'm USPS3, I will take some video to show you. In the meantime, basically any area that is robust with objects and adds, the objects will somehow draw the lock from the target to the itself mid-attack, as it there is a precedent/priority its following to target objects first, even if they are through walls or 180 degree behind the initial mob target. That's literally all there is to it. Many times it happens with a lunge, like the target somehow drops mid attack and goes after something else.

Not sure if anyone on the Dev team routinely plays on the ps3 but it happens every time I play, so I am not sure how you would have difficulty experiencing this for yourselves.
    • Like x 3
  2. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

do ya'll realize there is an AUTO LOCK SETTING?

i dont advise using it in pvp, but yeah... if you cant hold a target with L1 on ps3 then there is a setting that allows you to stay locked and use the dpad to scroll through multiple targets.

... maybe i'm not following some of these posts, but it sounds like a few of them don't know about the setting.
  3. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

yeah buddy, under settings: "auto lock"
    i turned mine off week 1 of launch, lol.
    its very restrictive if you pvp.
  4. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

I realize there is an auto lock setting, but it always proved more of a problem than a help. Regardless the targeting itself is flawed with or with out target lock. The m/o of this games targeting is to target something I am not facing that is of no real threat (like barrels) or the farthest enemy it can. I can say as a lifelong gamer (got a 2600 when I was 3) I have never played a game (that I can recall) with dumber targeting than this one. The devs need to start playing on a PS3 (or with a game pad on PC) because it should be readily apparent to them within the first hour.
  5. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

yeah, i never said targeting was great, but the previous few posters suggested there was no feature for "lock on", which there is.

the targeting is schetchy at best, though TBH when there are bugs in arenas that glitch out players from targeting or being targeted AT ALL PERIOD, then i think i'll worry about those bugs first, lol.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo...g-in-lair-battles-arenas-mental-bugs-etc.576/
    gimme one target... any target, i'll take it.
  6. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

I wasn't responding directly to you TK, I just wanted to make it clear I knew about it. Hopefully if they can fix targeting the arena issue you mention will be fixed as well.
  7. Aiden Warren New Player

My toon likes to aim at barrels through walls in another room.
    • Like x 2
  8. 478874 Dedicated Player

I love this attitude. The thread has the highest score on this forum, which should tell you all you need to know about the validity of it yet because people are somewhat dumbfounded by whats happening and can't provide adequate descriptions, the thread will get closed.

Way to sweep things under the rug!

Let me assure you that no one here is trolling you or the other devs with these claims. Honestly, it's a headscratcher to all of us. The game, at times, will prioritize the targeting of objects over mobs, even if the object is on the other side of a wall, 180 degrees behind the player, all the way off in the distance behind the adds, the only object in the room, and even after the player has d-padded off of the object on to the desire targets. It's as if the mobs all pop "hide" at once with no animation and the only thing the target system can find is some random nearby object.
    • Like x 7
  9. Little Sister New Player

I am always targeting through walls and stuff. I always hold L1. So yea, please fix what you can.
  10. Gravitic New Player

I'm USPC, and I still find the targeting to be abominable. Yes, I know how to use tab to lock onto a target... but if you want to switch targets, you're still more likely to tab to something that's not even currently engaged, possibly behind you, than to target the guy punching you in the face currently.

The tab-targeting logic needs to be improved.
    • Like x 3
  11. Boxfit New Player

Amateurs! We need a PS3 test server. We'll show'em how to test a DLC before its release. Or maybe there are no bugs on the test server. Maybe its all sunshine and rainbows there.

Elder Scrolls Online - save me from this wretched life of DCUO d/c, lag, chat/voice channel problems, permissions issues...etc etc etc.
    • Like x 1
  12. Lyndi Well-Known Player

Mepps is not the above instance in gotham university warehouse a specific example of targeting malfunctions? and i use PC keyboard/mouse. i will be locked on a target, kill that target, and 9 times out of 10 will autolock on another add that is through a grating wall or floor that cannot attack me instead of the one that is in front of me attacking me.
    • Like x 1
  13. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

I think overall the issue with targeting is how the game determines which enemy/object to target initially or directly after killing the enemy/object you were targeting. Another specific instance demonstrating this issue is when running Black Dawn at the part where you must free the humans in Gotham. A lot of times the adds are pulled away by the tank and you're standing directly in front of the human but the target crosshairs will automatically go to the adds that are usually just out of range to attack then you have to hold L1 and hit left/right on the d-pad to cycle through all the adds until you get to the human.

Just make the crosshairs initially go to target in front of me or to the target bashing my face in. Nothing like pulling your hair out over getting knocked out because the game thinks you really want to kill that grouping of barrels in the far corner of the room.
    • Like x 5
  14. WorldsDown New Player

So yeah... the report of this problem doesn't get more specific than this. Well done! (Thumbs up)
  15. TeenWuulf Well-Known Player

Another 2 specific and reproduceable examples would be the red barrels in Area 51. They will almost always take targetting priority over mobiles despite being through walls. The health barrels to either side of the combat zone in the East End Regal challenge brhave the same way.
  16. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

USPC with keyboard/mouse

Details on how to reproduce this. Queue for anything. Run in, hit the target lock key and then lunge. Watch yourself lunge offscreen to something you can't see but apparently wanted your target to lock onto according to the game while compleley ignoring the enemy in the center of your screen that you actually wanted to target...

This happens CONSTANTLY, I'll have something/someone in the center of my screen, hit the target lock key expecting it to lock onto the target that is closest to where i'm aiming, but instead it targets random stuff. I don't know how it figures it out,as it isn't very predictable but it rarely if ever gets the target I want.
  17. theTHRUSTER New Player

When I first started playing the game I found the auto targeting to be quite intuitive. That has changed since I've progressed & learned what targets are worth the attention & which ones can be dealt with later. I think a system that prioritizes "threat" would really help. Npc's directly in front of you = high threat. Npc's attacking you = extremely high threat & must be targeted first. That health barrel way over there = no threat. The chance to target an object or add with little to no threat should be extremely low. Targeting should treat them as if they don't exist. This would help in pvp as well. I shouldn't have to cycle my target lock through watchers, bricks, boos, etc, just to find the player. Make pets much lower on the threat table then the actual players.
  18. theTHRUSTER New Player

For example: the 2nd Battle for Earth duo where you fight the boss with healing drones. When I walk up to him my reticule usually starts out on the boss. I feel comfortable not holding L1 (I'm USPS3 by the way) so I attack with a power. By the time that power has cast, my reticule has moved to a healer drone & hits the drone instead. This all takes place in less than a second. Since the drones around this boss don't attack you, they should be placed on a lower threat level. Unlike Braniac in Prime where the healing drones do attack, they should be on an equal level as Braniac himself.
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Before that post, there was little useful here. After, there is much. Apologies for my tone, but this forum has a very specific purpose.
    • Like x 5
  20. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Is there a way to make players top priority over all pets and objects? This would solve 90% of targeting problems in pvp.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.