Symbol conversion

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Flair, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Flair Well-Known Player

Please give us the ability to convert symbols to MoTs. I guess the conversion rate wouldn't have the be as high as regular marks, but it would be nice to be able to use them for something once we have them maxxed out. I for one hate seeing red on my currency window.
  2. David Ivanenko Committed Player

And here we go again.
    Short answer: No.
    Longer answer: Not gonna happen.
    Symbols are not real currency.
    • Like x 4
  3. Starblast Well-Known Player

I'd almost bet money that once the symbols are no longer relevant in the game anymore they will give you an option to convert them to MoT or prestige or something.
  4. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Maybe they should have a conversion for symbols that raisesv the premium and ftp cash cap $500 for every 1k symbols converted. Lol can you tell which revolutionary idea thread i just read? Lol
    • Like x 1
  5. Little Sister New Player

That wouldn't make any sense to convert symbols.
    • Like x 4
  6. Flair Well-Known Player

Tell that to my green aura please.

If enough people ask for it there is no telling what the may or may not do.

LoL this community never fails to let me now with their ability to disagree with someone just for the chance to look smart. If symbols aren't real currency then why are they listed in my currency window and why do I need them to buy gear? And honestly, why would any player of this game not want symbol conversion? If the devs had a reason I could see that, but as a player not wanting the ability to convert symbols to MoTs is like turning down a free $100 bill with no strings attatchedl. It makes no sense.
  7. UMBRA Well-Known Player

Asking for Symbols to be converted into some other mark doesn't make much sense.

Symbols have a purpose (to make sure you completed a certain amount of content from a certain DLC) and they fulfill it perfectly. Asking for them to be converted into something more would be the same, for example, as asking soders to be converted into marks. Soders have a purpose (to restore some health and power) and they fulfill it, why would they do something else?

If you're asking for Symbols to be converted into some other mark then why not ask soders to be converted into gear? Or Styles from the vault to be converted into replay badges? Or gear to be converted into collections? Sure, these things would be very convenient, but do they make sense? Would they be good for the game in the long run? No.

Symbols have a purpose, if you have fulfilled that purpose then you don't need said symbols, no need for them to do anything else, end of the story.

Also, remember you are getting Symbols for FREE. What content awards you nothing but Symbols? None. You run T6 content and get marks of fury, also you get some free Symbols. Whatever you do to get Symbols will also get you marks of fury (the official T6 currency), so you're not being cheated, you are getting a reward for you effort.

Asking for more uses for Symbols is asking for a double reward. Double reward for the exact same effort? Of course, we all love our loot, so we would like to have more of it. But as I asked before... Does this make sense? Would this be good for the game in the long run? No.

If there was some content that would ONLY award symbols then yes, having some other use for Symbols would be needed, but that is not the case. Every time you get a Symbol you will also get a mark, and there are many uses for marks.

Basically, most of the "convert symbols" post directly translate into "I want free loot!!" (even if the poster hasn't realized it yet). And "I want free loot!!" is a very weak argument.

Of course, there is also the people who just don't want to see that red number in their currency tab and those messages letting you know you missed some symbols because you have no space for them. At least they do have a point, it is kind of annoying. And yet, it is not really a big deal, there are so many more important issues with this game. But yes, it would be nice if devs did something about it.

In short:

1) Symbols have a job and they do it well, no need for them to do anything else.

2) No, you are not being cheated. When you get Symbols you also get marks, and you can do many things with marks.

3) Once the symbols have served their purpose they can be a bit annoying in the UI, but it is not a big deal.
    • Like x 1
  8. Blaqgui New Player

Nah dude. just delete them. Making symbols into currency would just be a waste of time considering how many usually drop. They would be worth as much as the usual trash you usually pick up which most people usually delete anyways unless your a premium or free member then you usually sell it.... usually
  9. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Symbols are just a way for the system to know where your Marks of Fury have come from. That's all.

The system requires you to obtain half of your Marks of Fury from the DLC which introduced the gear. The easiest way to do that (as the feature was never intended to be in the game which was designed back in the mid 2000's) is to simply drop an equal number of Symbols to the base Marks you earn in that instance. If you have 5 Marks of Fury and 5 Symbols of Light, then the system knows that those 5 Marks of Fury came from DLC12.

They have no actual value to them and therefore they should never be able to be converted into a real currency.
    • Like x 2
  10. Kuno Loyal Player

Symbols are currency since I need a determinate number of them in order to buy gear, in addition to Marks.
    Get over it guys, symbols are a currency.
    Is another thing that devs want to make you believe their not so we dont have extra MoT once T7 arrives.
    You know devs are always greedy with converting marks, currencies and marks caps.
  11. nohealhere New Player

the devs have stated its not real currency so you have to belive the almighty ones ;)
    • Like x 1
  12. Flair Well-Known Player

The devs can state that they are fairy dust if they want to. It doesn't change the fact that symbols fit the definition of what currency is. If I want armor I am required to pay for it in symbols. That is currency.

I'm not trying to say that I'm getting cheated by not being bale to use them by the way. I was perfectly happy with the system the way it used to be without any symbols at all. I'm simply stating that it would be very nice to be able to use extra symbols for something (armor, fluff, soders, whatever) in order to get value out of them when I run content.

Here is an idea. How about a symbol vendor that sells base items that you could previously only have one of because of it being attached to a collection. The Larfleeze piggy bank comes to mind. Once you have a piggy bank, it unlocks in the vendor and you can then buy as many as you like provided you have enough symbols. I don't know if this is the best way to go, but it gives us something to do with symbols that doesn't unbalance the game.

There has to be some kind of happy medium here where we can get some type of value from symbols without making the game too easy. It simply requires a little imagination and probably a little more time on the part of those who make the game.
  13. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

OP,

In my opinion the result could be one of the following scenarios:
    1) Use the Symbols to buy Tokens of Merit (sorry for those of us that already got all the feats related to that)
    2) When the new Tier is introduced (T7 in this case) then all the marks and symbols (just maybe) will be available to change to MoT.

If a currency is part of an active Tier, they won't give the chance to change to MoT until the next Tier is introduced. It makes a lot of sense and has happened with previous Tiers.

My 2 cents.
  14. Cable Committed Player

I agree with you on that symbols are in fact a currency. The devs wanting to simply say they are not a currency does not make it true, however, there is still an issue and this where I kind of have to take an honest look at it. Would I like the extra marks of triumph? Absolutely. But it just seems like too much. I don't know that I can really say it would be a good idea to let us acquire so many MoT so easily. Even if the conversion rate was only half that of MoF it still seems like too much.
  15. MetalMario Loyal Player

The symbols are already the happy medium. The options were new marks for each DLC or symbols in addition to the "real" mark. All the content drops full/regular rewards if you count the symbols as being nothing. This is why people say they're not really currency. That being said, I think some kind of prestige value would be great.
  16. Kuno Loyal Player

Maybe you guys are floating and even drowing in MoT but casual players like me still have to buy a damn load of styles from T5 which are really expensive, let along paying the mods from the base and run latest content all with MoT.
    I dont have time for everything and I feel like I'm left behind and that feeling makes me want to drop the damn game, enough with the pressure about skill points, cr, feats... I know the game is about this but come on let us covert the old currency because I bet theres still people like me who cant catch up with all the feats and still being current with the DLCs and CR.
  17. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

With all previous tiers
    as the tier progressed
    and the gear became more powerful
    the rewards got significantly larger

Now, we get the same rewards in WotL2 as in AF1.
    Plus symbols.

Thus, we aren't getting "rewarded" adequately unless they allow conversion of symbols as well as MoF.
    Symbols are keeping the rewards from scaling with the content within the tier.

in other words:
    I support the request to convert symbols into marks.
  18. MetalMario Loyal Player

If you're that casual you don't need to worry about being current with Cr. Just focus on whatever you want and don't get stressed out about it. It's just a game, after all.
    • Like x 1
  19. MetalMario Loyal Player

Which tier exactly are you referring to that gives you more marks for later raids than earlier ones?
  20. rival exe New Player

They should give us feats that we can buy with symbols.