Let's talk tonfas...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Hraesvelg, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Hraesvelg Always Right

I know, they've been like this ever since they were put into Steelworks, but while flipping through my styles I renoticed them and exactly how ridiculous they are.

Proper form:
    [IMG]

DCUO form:
    [IMG]

It's like holding a gun from the barrel. Tonfas really won't work with the current dual wield animations, since they spin and all sorts of interesting things. Maybe we could get another style altogether? A roleless steel pipe, perhaps?
    • Like x 12
  2. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

They should adjust it to hold like the Monk Blades...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 5
  3. NerdOfPrey Creative Director

[IMG]

I'm not making any promises, but I'm going to look into this.
    • Like x 25
  4. Spytle Executive Creative Director

It's actually held both ways, depending on the type of strike or "grab" you are trying to do, but yes, that is not the standard idle pose. I believe that they could not make the other way work as a dual wield weapon, so they just attached them like that. I will suggest we do the same asset as a martial arts weapon, as that weapon style does not need a shaft extending from the hand to work.
    • Like x 16
  5. Spytle Executive Creative Director

Hey! Stop doing shorter replies to get in there before me!!! ;P
    • Like x 14
  6. NerdOfPrey Creative Director

LOL -- Hey! Spytle, why are you beating my desk with the wrong end of your umbrella?! :p
    • Like x 14
  7. Judgmental Jolt Well-Known Player

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HE SAID SHAFT!!!!

Was I supposed to be mature today? Sorry, guys :)

It's kind of funny, I always noticed something seemed off about that style but I never even took the half second to figure out the issue. It will definitely make a good MA style when held properly. Hey, the way they're held now you could give the villains a serious facial reconstruction.
  8. Little Sister New Player

Black Canary disagrees

[IMG]
    • Like x 8
  9. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

LMAO, you guys are awesome
    • Like x 1
  10. NerdOfPrey Creative Director

That would make an awesome Martial Arts style!
    • Like x 5
  11. FiveByFive New Player

i wish you guys would message combat styles better. most players don't get that they're combat styles (covering a range of weapons used in the same way) and not literal "weapons".

but if you guys look into this tonfa issue maybe it's time to take a look at 1 hand too, and separate it from "sword" ? the game could use a real sword combat style with legitimate swordplay animations instead of watching people club each other over the head with swords like it's a club. lol
  12. Sore Steadfast Player

Does that mean we might get a dual wield version (left) and martial arts (middle) version of sais too? Or does that mean we'd only get the version of the guy on the right? :p

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  13. SilverwingsZOE New Player

Police tonfa is kinda different than the ones used/issued for kobudo,police can use that as a nightstick/club as is more solid and long,on the other hand probably there is a move/technique in kobudo that will let you use the upper part of the grip as an hammer but I would rather not try it,cause is a swift and up and close personal move,plus those are made of mere wood

Once again for what I remember there are two type of sai,one is bigger,it has a more pointy and dangerous end,you can use it as a club sorta of or throw it on enemy's feet,the transitions moves for those things use let me call it the hook part,so middle pic you are going to use those sai as an extension of your hand when enemy is close and you want to knock him out for good hitting him on head,throat or poking an eye out,you can use them as a protection for your ulna if the foe is armed with a baton but the third pic is giving me wtf moment.

Anyway I barely used those weapons,I was more a short & straight sword person and if not I was toying with the halberd,the sensei was nuts,we were nuts too so he spaced from karate,judo,whatever jitsu,kabudo,kendo,then he ended up doing crazy stunts involving an horse and the japanese longbow but when he reached that point I was gone lol
  14. Dezaras Loyal Player

What about the Raphael (TMNT) sai grip? Where he holds them by the...

What's the thing called between the handle and the blade? Raph grips that with the blade protruding. Like a middle finger.

Actually a flipping bird weapon wouldn't be any good lol.
  15. Kuno Loyal Player

Where do you get those tonfas? I need them! Never see them before! WOW
  16. ChuckLess New Player

Hey thanks! That style didn't bother me at all till now! Lol!

I'm not sure how these would work, visually, if held in the "correct" way.
  17. ArcIgnis New Player

Kinda wished Martial Arts was not a weapon but more like a branch out to actual other martial arts with different type of weapons instead. Tons of martial artists use pressure points in DC, we just claw or punch the crap out of everything.
  18. Kuno Loyal Player

Please would you look at this again?
    Also what about a rare weapon vendor? Its been a year since we got any new weapon style so at least throw us a bone.
    I still dont know where those tonfas drop and I need them for my Huntress character :p

PS: Sorry for necroposting but I'm trying to find the way to get those tonfas. And if we could make it look the right way would be like cherry on top.
    • Like x 1
  19. Wallachia Devoted Player

In some martial arts that way to hold tonfas is correct, since it can be used to swipe down the enemies on their legs.
    • Like x 1
  20. Kuno Loyal Player

I know. I just think it would look better the other way, with the stick in or out. But held by the holder.