Is clipping still a thing?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Paschar, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Dylan Top5 New Player

Hope you're not being serious
  2. JebuNagazi Active Player

So in other words you stopped playing becuse back then the game required some skill?

And now you want to come back but need to ask us if the game still need some skill to play?

Well sadly the game now pamper very much to the simpleminded & lowskilled/lazy casual crowd so game should be right up your ally now ^^ !
    • Like x 3
  3. Captain Neos Committed Player

Is it really hard to be respectful to other people? Is the default way to join a conversation to be rude? Is it possible to actually have something for everybody rather than one group declaring they are the most important and so their whims come first. Must we have casual vs hardcore elite or whatever the best players refer to themselves as instead of all recognizing we are all gamers first and foremost.
    • Like x 8
  4. the swoosh New Player

atm there are advanced mechanics and weapon mastery that basicly replaced the old clipping game play

it is still possible to ''clip'' (cancel animations) but its no where near what it used to be...and its not exactly a must anymore either...
    • Like x 1
  5. thedemonocus Loyal Player

clipping did not require any more skill than wm once you learned how to clip it was so easy you could do it with your eyes closed at least with wm you have to time your combos out to get max damage and to the guy who asked about plasma retch jump canceling does work you just have to hit jump 1 time and only 1 time and it will always work
    • Like x 1
  6. Dylan Top5 New Player

That's like saying rebuilding a car engine is the same difficulty as changing your oil. Yeah, anything can be easy with enough repetition, but there's something called a "learning curve", you had to learn the rotation, and be able to execute it at a fast pace and most players were not capable of that, everyone can do weapon mastery. Clipping is gone and I'm fine with that, but just don't lie to yourself and others and say slow paced automated WM combos are the same difficulty.

About moves like plasma retch, fear gas, etc... You do realize, they were 1 frame moves prior to the changes to jump canceling? I believe now they are about .8-1 second animation times. I wouldn't exactly call that "old HL". I'd actually call that a very misinformed and inaccurate statement, that's why I had to ask if he was serious, lol.
    • Like x 3
  7. Dylan Top5 New Player

Well, the Op didn't exactly come in asking a neutral, open minded question himself
    • Like x 2
  8. Captain Neos Committed Player

Lol an eye for an eye and all that jazz, hell I'll throw in a two wrongs dont make a right too.
    • Like x 1
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

That's the thing though, this isn't a fighting game. At the end of the day we're talking about an MMORPG with a Hack and Slash driven combat system. Things are supposed to be a little approachable from the standpoint of execution - and while resources do exist to explain how some of the more complicated things work, sure (and jump canceling might have been harder than a WM combo, but it's not THAT difficult to do - there's a reason why the Devs said 'this is an exploit, ****') it's kind of offputting to a *lot* of people when that system isn't something you can pick up on your own and run with. Not to mention that DCUO Combat is rocket science compared to a lot of other MMO's, and if that's your audience, well - you gotta appeal to that audience.

Difficulty of execution is not why I play DCUO. If it was, I wouldn't be here - I'd still be in a lobby on Ultra SF 4 headhunting with the Sonic Boom machine.
    • Like x 2
  10. thedemonocus Loyal Player

rebuilding a car takes years to learn clipping takes 5 min with a sparring target to learn and i never made any comment about HL so i'm guessing that part is directed at someone else all i said was jump canceling with plasma still works and said how to do it

back to clipping i literally learned it in 5 min and that is not much of a learning curve so to claim that clipping is some hard skill to learn is a joke i compare learning clipping to learning how to cook a box of kraft dinner
    • Like x 1
  11. ChuckLess New Player

:rolleyes:
  12. rival exe New Player

It's not about what's right. It's about what's fair.
  13. Toshknight Loyal Player

you can clip but it doesnt work if u cancel most animations specially with WM if u try and clip the last attack it wont inflict the damage. u just do half the animation , at least testing with HL ive seen that clipping yes u can still do but it doesnt work like it use to, some attacks in HL work with Clipping but its not something to count on
  14. OGM_Madness New Player

First time posting in a while...

The game took a huge detour DPS-wise in the summer, right at the launch of the current Tier (T6). The game used to require lighting-fast/precise inputs to unleash a flurry of simultaneous attacks. At the launch of T6, the devs had a change-of-heart on how the game should be played and enjoyed, which led to a huge list of changes. Every power got nerfed big-time, but weapon damage was increased substantially, plus a new mechanic called Weapon Mastery got introduced. After the huge backlash & criticism that WM was too same-y for all the powers, the devs started introducing separate Awesome Mechanics to each power (this is about 75% done).

The players that stuck with the game found that now, after all was said & done, DPS'ing had multiple ways of being achieved properly, but the game slowed down considerably, taking more into account the power interactions. The purists still miss the "good ol' days" of lighting fast/super precise glitch-trade-secrets to achieve maximum damage.

To the OP: I highly suggest you take a look at the game. The game has slowed down big time, making Animations a thing again, possibly increasing immersion for you. Also, no one cares you play WoW with a "Top 50" guild, because if things were great/perfect/fun, then you wouldn't be looking for an alternative (eg. DCUO). Needless to say, what powers/role are you thinking of playing? Some powers require more inputs than others. Fire, for example, has a decent method of playing that requires you to sit through long animations. Ice is supposed to receive a similar treatment, but it's AM hasn't arrived yet. Rage, Gadgets & HL still require a bit of speed (although nothing like in the past).
    • Like x 2
  15. Starbrand Dedicated Player

GOD, 3 years saying the SAME thing:

CLIPPING IS INTENDED!!! THE DEVS SAID THIS REPEATED TIMES!!!

It is not an exploit (cause they said it is not), not a flaw (cause they can fix it anytime they want putting a time-bar).

Nowadays, THANK GOD, clipping still exist!
    • Like x 2
  16. Tom Sawyer New Player

Oh please...complex my ***. i didn't realize muscle memory was complex because as a former gu36 HL dps I was on autopilot most of the time and got blisters just for doing K007 none stop. Siphoning the trolls of their last breath. But please do tell me more about how the dps mechanics were so complex?:rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  17. Dylan Top5 New Player

At least you needed two hands to dps, can't tell you how many times I'm DPSing with one hand in my controller. Btw, power. Ack mechanics would have solved the power problem, wm was not needed, but was added for bad/lazy DPS.
    • Like x 2
  18. Dylan Top5 New Player

As a former pro fighting game competitor, the execution is what got me to stick with DCUO . I loved how the combat required more than just press power presses and it almost felt like doing a combo. Muscle memory or not, it took practice to learn a fast jump clipping combo, and even more practice to perfect it in a raid.

You're right though, it wasn't accessible to the general MMORPG player base and therefore it was removed.
    • Like x 2
  19. Shad0wReap3r Committed Player

Not to contradict, but the issue is that a very lot of people are still calling "Jump Cancelling" "Clipping", which are two very separate techniques. I do agree, "Clipping" is completely intended and will exist in the game until its death. "Jump Cancelling" is unintended, and though the devs embraced it for a short time, it was an exploit that was taken care of and the issue should be dropped. It is gone, it is over, it is not coming back(as if was before).
    • Like x 2
  20. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

Maybe I misunderstood...
    I though clipping was intended... to quicken combat and increase damage done.
    Jump Canceling was intended... to get out of a long animation to avoid damage.
    But Jump Clipping was the exploit... to hide certain attacks so that your opponent never saw them coming
    by using one intended technique for the purpose of the other to gain an unintended benefit...

Because the developers said that clipping was intended
    And actually told the players about Jump Canceling (not jump clipping)
    After all, you can still jump cancel certain long attack animations, though they now have a dovetail (a minimum length animation)
    • Like x 2