Best and easy trolls to use?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by ElectricJordan, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Ixnay New Player

Best: Mental = Gadget = Hard Light
    Easiest: Mental > Gadget >>> Hard Light

All have pros and cons, Hard Light is the hardest due to several melee moves needed to do certain things plus it's the hardest power reguardless due to construct combos (which I love). League mate of mine recently switched from HL to mental with their reason being that they were fed up of being stepped on :(
  2. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Best:Mental=Gadgets=Light
    Easiest: Mental=Gadgets=Light
    Neither power is easy to use or the best they all have their ups and downs. Pick a power that appeals to you don't just rule it out simply because the community says it's hard.
  3. Fire Xion New Player

Well each power has it advantages/disadvantages. Light troll doesn't have much variety debuffs, only 1 defense debuff, and i think only 1 or 2 damage debuffs and 3 heal debuffs. Also requires to get in the heat of the fight to debuff and the group shielding 50% supercharge. Mental has the greatest distance and multiple debuffs as well as bastion, a 50% group shielding. Gadgets has a medium range and again multiple debuffs, but no group sheilding supercharge. Instead a 35%, i think, robot drone supercharge that restores small leaks of power to the group over time.
  4. Delta795 New Player

Contradict yourself much? I agree with your final statement...none are the best. I prefer HL simply because it's fun. Pick whatever power YOU like. Not what some forumite tells you.
  5. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Noted. While writing the post I had 2 ideas in mind and instead of writing one I wrote both. :oops:
  6. ElectricJordan New Player

I'm pretty new just strayed playing again about one or two mainths ago so don't make fun of me but what's CC?
  7. Worlok New Player

cc is crowd control. stunning effects and the like. either way, HL is probably the worst in every way.
    • Like x 1
  8. General Zod 10000 Post Club

False hardlight is just as capable as the other controller powers.
  9. Amarsir Well-Known Player

As you can see, each set has it's own fans so there's no wrong choice.

One thing you should be aware of is that for Light, both "Power over Time" moves and the Defense Debuff move are melee attacks. Both Gadgets and Mental can do those moves from range. Now that's not a reason to avoid the set. But since you specifically asked "easiest", it's something you should know going into it since diving into melee in a boss battle can be trouble.
  10. Ding New Player

Gadget
    I know someone who is currently an HL Controller and does a very good job to be either the main guy or support one. He manages to get around with the 'challenges' that an HL troller faces in raids in particular. But being a Gadget controller myself, I find that this is me, my play-style, in compare to the other powersets. In short, one can make the best out of any of these powersets and make it your own :)
  11. pebcak New Player

it all really depends on the play style of the troller for me personally i like mental because it reminds me of range dps in past mmos ive played
  12. Tesseract Prime Dedicated Player

I was having this discussion on TS the other night. I genuinely couldn't say which is the overall best. They each have pros and cons.

If hard light was given a good defence debuff and a grandeur/distract move, I'd say HL. Until that point, I really can't say.

Although I have the most fun with gadgets. ^^
  13. Echephyle New Player

I love gadgets. Very easy to use and clipable powers. You can also become a dps easily as many of the powers are good for both roles.
  14. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Just because Hard Light's P0T moves are melee oriented doesn't mean you have to target anyone or be in melee range to activate it and the P0T effect. However, those moves use 250 power when Gadgets and Mental only cost 200 power, no doubt due to the HL combos. HL trollers require a different play style than Gadgets or Mental as they can get more in the thick of things but need to know when to back off and go range attacks.

Gadgets debuffs are the most power thrifty as you can select 1 of each that only cost 300 power and thereby is the best debuff controller power set. You can use Gauss Grenade (defense) and Cryo Foam (health) and create a DoT power interaction as well.
  15. Sore Steadfast Player

HL no-weapon controlling with brawlers equipped generates personal power faster than any other class. An extra vit bonus for specialization doesn't hurt. But the melee oriented POT and DEBUFF is a drawback even if you can work around it.

Gadgets and Mental are pretty much equal. The benefits and drawbacks of each aren't as pronounced as HL. Gadgets has a pull. Mental can group debuff/polymorph. I like Mental for the polymorph but that's just a preference.
  16. Torrent New Player

I am a HL troll, and I really like it. actually did a short stint as a dps, which was a lot of fun with HL. I switched back for the same reason that there just seem to not be a whole lot of trolls on.The bad part is i got rid of all my troll gear so i am having farm MoT to get it all back. The CC abilities with HL are very good if you have high enough dominance to back them up. Hit snap trap, or encase, and hold right mouse button, stun everytime except of bosses. I tried mental and didnt really like it. I have a gadget dps which is fun fun fun. The main thing is to give them all a try and pick the one that suits your playing style. Hope this helps! If ya need help in game hit me up... Light Torrent
  17. BaddestJade New Player

Know the medium. Good trolling exposes loopholes or gaps in a forum or game’s defenses. You should be familiar enough with your game or forum to know how the system works and where there may be loopholes.

Use mass quantities. The most extreme trolling often uses repetition. Intense trolling will repeatedly hit on something that will get a “…really…” response out of people. Usually, the more repetitious a trolling is, the more annoying it will be. Be sure to evaluate how much repetition is enough and how much is too much. Sometimes one hit is all it takes to appropriately troll.

Create an account with the forum or message board. Remember to be as anonymous as possible.

Familiarize yourself with internet memes. The best way to see and pounce on an opportunity to troll is to know your resources. As a good craftsman knows their tools, a good troll knows their memes.

Browse the forums or message board and see if there are any patterns of behavior. Trolling often utilizes repetition to be effective. See patterns of behavior and remember them because they may come in handy when planning your troll. Look for specific areas where post may be open to a meme response or other witty remark.

Develop a specific plan. Once you’re familiar with your resources and what’s going on in the message board or forum, plan how to best troll the board. Trolling forums and message boards often look like posting a meme (a common internet joke) or link to a meme or other jarring remark in a thread. Below, a general outline of what is required to successfully troll is presented.

Play the game enough to be familiar with its mechanics and how it works. Look for goofy/ridiculous operations or units in the game that you may be able to troll with.

The places that can be trolled go far beyond the content of this how to. Be creative in how you troll! Always remember to evaluate and be prepared to deal with the consequences of your actions. Most importantly, make sure you’re having fun! If trolling isn’t fun to you, you definitely should NOT be doing it. And if someone asks why you're doing it, just reply, "That's how I troll, man!"

• Do not over troll your friends. You’ll need them one day to be there for you, and if they got sick of you constantly driving them up the walls with continuous trolling, you’ll be sorry when you need them and they’re not there because they got fed up with your antics. Always be careful trolling people you see on a regular basis, because if you ever cross one of their boundaries, the consequences are something you’ll have to deal with on a regular basis.
    • It is quite possible that people will become frustrated with you when you troll them. Some trolling can push into the realm of being cruel to others. When "trolling" becomes cruel, it is better described as "being a complete jerk" (in polite terms) and calling the actions "trolling" becomes a euphemism for excessively rude behavior. It is your responsibility to know the limits of what is acceptable and unacceptable when you troll.
    • The forums/games in which you troll may temporarily or permanently ban you, so be aware of what the rules of the forum or game are and be prepared to deal with the consequences of your trolling before you act.
    • In forums and account based games, it is common to get banned if a troll is too offensive or against the medium’s policy, so do not use your personal account to perform trolling actions if you’re trolling a medium that you need or frequently use.

Have fun op, admittedly I only read the TITLE of your thread, so technically I am not incorrect with my response.
  18. Dr Improbable Dedicated Player

The biggest problem with controlling is that people are just plain mean to them (on USPS3,the trailor park of DCUO). Guys are just slapping Vit4's in all their slots and going on about how high their Vit is. So sad. I play healer and troll,and I prefer healer. If you do a good job you're appreciated. If you do a good job as a controller,(at best) you get ignored.
  19. Dr Improbable Dedicated Player

Well played Sir! +1
    • Like x 1
  20. RamsesVIIX New Player

Mental, great crowd control. I used to be a mental troll but switched to hardlight died more often than not doing solo missions. Mental is just awesome to crowd control.