Declining Interest

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheRealDeathern, Sep 22, 2014.

1. lokithoz Committed Player

well if destiny is a dc universe killer game imagine the upcoming games like assassin creed unity for the ps4 when that comes im going to be out for a while:rolleyes:.
    • Like x 1
  2. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Again, Destiny isn't a DCUO killer. It takes an MMO to kill an MMO, and if anything, DCUO is it's own killer (which, if you think for a second, is the legitimate way most MMOs die, as they get to a point they can no longer innovate with it's locked-in technology, causing a natural drop in interest. If there's too much stagnation, then the previously supportive player base simply flocks to the new bigger/better thing). FF12, for example, was still running long after release on the friggin' PS2 (HDD required). The slow death is the goal, not the mass exodus.

DCUO has been out for 4 years. It's showing many signs of the slow death, but this new period with the distractions coming on the PS4, is still pretty iffy. Depending on what's done with the game over the remainder of the year, it may prove capable of meeting out a slow death instead of one that happens within a single quarter. That's not to say it won't lose people, especially those that dislike the very slow, painstaking group level content of the sixth tier - one that unintentionally (being optimistic) has become an alt-killer.
    • Like x 2
  3. smoove76 Committed Player

Have you taking in to account the summer vacation is over and most kids are back in school and or college is the reason for the decline??? Oh as far as bright future DC's future is as bright as any other MMO. No more no less
    • Like x 1
  4. smoove76 Committed Player

:D Oh You mean sit in the corner and Power dump, Drink soda, Hit trinket. SC.,& Bang head against wall from sheer boredom Rinse & repeat Controller vs Real Controllers Right? o_O
    • Like x 1
  5. KomarnoMan Well-Known Player

Many posters here say they are sick of DCUO. I've played this game for over 2 years and I'm not sick of it. I do get frustrated at times playing with people who do not understand their roles and tend to blame you for how that particular mission is turning out. I haven't reached pve cr 100 yet - but I'm getting close. I'm legendary and have 13 characters on my account. I tend to play 8 of them and use the other 5 as bankers. I most probably will delete a few more later on. I have both heroes and villains and I operate 2 leagues (1 hero and the other villain). There is plenty to accomplish in DCUO with all the collections, briefings, investigations, skill points and missions to keep a person busy for a long time. When I started playing the game I knew nothing - it took me 6 months to get to level 30 now I can get to level 30 in under 7 days. If you get bored with DCUO, you most probably would get bored with any game.
    • Like x 2
  6. E Clip Dedicated Player

Lol, I never argued how interesting trolling is, personally I find the most boring role and thats why my troll is only 3.1k vita but I take all crits and use dps trinkets with flex soda because trolling while trying to make the most dmg I can is a tad bit more challenging. Some pugs dont even want to take me in raids because of low vita :D

My main argument was that back then trollers had to work on their power dump timings and double pot and in many cases they'd still have to pop sodas and supplies to fill up their own power bar. They still need to do all those things for solo trolling, but 2 trolls nowadays can go on for 20-30 seconds and even more depending on how high is their vita without a pot and power up the group just with instant without ever using a soda or bothering to drop a supply for themselves.. All I'm saying is that trolling nowadays requires virtually no skill with a 2 troll setup. Is it interesting? Hell no :d
  7. Malachyte Devoted Player

Declining interest can be attributed to 2 things in my opinion.

1 - Taken the uniqueness from powers when implementing WM and AM - As stated numerous times DPSing is pretty much the same across the board now with WM (which I like very much btw) but it took away from power sets which is the whole reason to play DCUO in the first place is to play with characters that have certain powers. If I wanted to play where weapons were the primary focus then I would play Call of Duty or some type of first person shooter game.
    I think the DEVs got caught up with weapon mastery, they forgot this is a comic book based games and a huge part of comic characters is their powers not so much on weapons.

2 - Replay badges - Again not to sound like a hypocrite as I have been guilty of this in the past, but constant replaying content over and over makes it boring as does any constant repetition of anything will become boring after a while.
    After using replays to gear up in week then why bother anymore unless you want to feat grind but then that goes back to constant repetition of anything will become boring after a while.
    Back in the day, everyone look forward to Thursday's as the raids reset, now its pretty much ho-hum.
    They should implement a cap on how much you can replay an instance but then they would cut into their bottom line in the front end which I'm sure they don't want, but I think will keep players interested in the long run which would keep their product going.

Just my thoughts...

Cheers, Mal
    • Like x 1
  8. DarkSyde79 Loyal Player

While I agree that the changes to DCUO have ran off their fair share of players, I think everything goes back to Replay Badges.

Now I know many will say that Replay Badges aren’t the issue but when you look at how they’ve impacted the game and how it’s designed, then I believe then you have to come to at least a similar conclusion.

When Replay Badges were introduced with BFE, it created a divide as there were players who were more than willing to spam replay Gates until they were Full T4.

This created a divide as players were able to advance abnormally (compared to past tiers) as well as creating a skill game as Prime became the measure for how skilled players were.

This also impacted the game as the devs released players were more than willing to neglect content to become overgeared as well as spam content for the chance at a piece of rare gear.

Move on to HOF and you see players willing to literally throw away RBs for the chance at advanced set of gear as they farm Eclipso and Tala at nausea.

Fast-forward to OC and you see a community that is more than willing to replay content for the best gear but also farm easy raid before moving on to the harder raid to do so.

But in that process, many tweaks were needed as the content’s difficulty had scared off MANY of those “whales” they had cultivated by months of power gearing/leveling.

Realize that people tend to not replay content that can’t beat in a timely manner or at all!!!

So now we are here today as content is not designed to challenge the community but to farm Replay Badges and the “universe” we inhabit isn’t expanded upon in other ways it those haven’t been “successfully” monetized to the degree that “raids” are.
    • Like x 1
  9. thedemonocus Loyal Player

to the people who are losing interest...

if you are loosing interest its you not the game,you have just played to much and burned yourself out so just go take a break and when you are ready come back or don't the rest of us who are still enjoying the game will be just fine
    • Like x 1
  10. ermike Committed Player

But when people mentioned the game being slow during the summer.. people responded with "well its summer, people are out/having fun/vacation" cannot use two different reasons that totally override one another. Also this game is not healthy atm. While Destiny is not a true mmo (yet) it did snag a huge playerbase from this game and has the budget and population to thrive if they make the right decisions. It is too early to tell but for u to say this game's future is bright atm is either u not knowing the facts or blind love towards dc
    • Like x 2
  11. MugenM422 New Player

Listening to a few eople online, it sounded to me like people were returning from Destiny?
  12. ermike Committed Player

Absolutely agree.. replay badges were the single most hurtful thing to this game. Game has never been the same, instances never felt the same. Thursdays and Fridays were so fun back in the day. The instances were fresh bc we could only run them once a week. Since gates, the raid community has zerged thru everything within weeks and never make it to the next dlc without getting bored. I wish replays could be taken away but unfortunately the ship has sailed. Pinhead is already out of the cube. Sux
    • Like x 1
  13. ermike Committed Player

As I said, it is early. Destiny has not too many updates or a dlc yet but they have a massive budget so it will be interesting to see. Like I said, very early. It was like calling RG3 the next big QB. Gotta kinda wait and see how it turns out.
    • Like x 1
  14. same Johnny Dedicated Player

Hello. I'm just using what you are saying to add a little more to the thread, I will not be saying anything offensive, just want to make sure you don't take it personal either :)

That notion has been brought up before and there was even an old player who wrote something funny about it. Leaving the link here in case anyone is interested:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/the-parable-of-the-pizza.210355/

The issue is that this is not the same game it was when most of the people here started playing. Yes, I could agree to what you are saying if T6 was similar to T0 to T5, and YES, games do change, evolve, constantly adapt to the player base. My issue, and it seems other player's issue as well, is how the game changed. Let me try to explain this a little more in depth so it will also act as feedback (even if no green names are here, I am 99% sure they are keeping an eye on it).

TL; DR: For those who can't bother, blah blah blah, WM became mandatory for the damage it does but made the action dull, blah blah blah, because of the negligent, over the roof stats, everything got an added health pool, blah blah blah, if this is the future of the game, I'm worried it will stop being fun completely.

For those who do bother, I'm going to try to explain it in topics, might be a long reading.

Ok, so, with GU 36, a lot of changes were made to the tempo of all power sets. That change, I still consider positive for most powers (the one clear exception is Hard Light, and I assume most people here will know why) as it was aimed for balance. Some powers were clearly faster then others and it made the community steer into those powers only. The one change I didn't agree at the time was that there was actually a nerf to most moves, meaning we were not only slower, but hitting softer as well. Why? Because Weapon Mastery was on the horizon and it promised to be the biggest thing to hit the game.

It wasn't.

At the time, it was exciting, hey, something new to master, yay! But the repetition of the same moves, the impracticability of the old ways - where we could spam our powers, clipping our weapon attacks, to do fast damage - and the fact that we were FORCED to use it (yes, FORCED, as it became expected/mandatory because of how harder it hits) quickly made it dull and straight out boring. All of this is, obviously, my opinion. As it is now, even the controller role (my all times favourite) became boring, considering we have way too much vit and most players are using WM as it is.

This leads to the second issue. Another mistake that I feel was made going from T4 to T5 and even more to T6 was the stat increase in gear. We went from super-heroes to straight out nuclear weapons. And the crazy stat increases keeps going strong and I don't understand how this is not addressed. I keep seeing green names posting that they design content to make use of the 2-2-2-2 setup. Yet we play the game and quickly realise there is no need for 2 tanks in anything we do. There is no need for 2 healers in anything we do. There's starting to be no need to run 2 controllers in anything we do... And the DPS hit like two or three nuclear weapons together. Which is the third issue.

With WM hitting so hard and DPS hitting extremely hard, anything under T5 was becoming a joke. So what was the solution found? Big health pools on adds and GIGANTIC health pools on bosses so we don't steam-roll everything. But! With how dull WM became, those boss fights are straight out mind numbing. I've never had so many problems staying awake like I'm having with these raids. Yes, Lockdown forces you to be aware of what's going on, but it also drags as much as the other two raids because you are looking at the bosses health and you are checking your damage out and... Usually I just start thinking "OMG... just... die already!!!".

To try to wrap this up quickly, yeah, I would agree with the burnout if I was getting bored with the same game I started playing. But I'm not, I'm getting bored with this game we have now. And to be really honest, if the next DLC follows this trend, I'm out. I can't keep playing a game that became Hold range> Tap range> Hold range> Power and nothing more.

I seriously hope anyone running the show is reading this thread. Like it or not, you must realise there is a vocal portion of your player base that is reporting the same issues over and over. If this game stays on this path, players are bound to look for something else to play, regardless of how much they like the game. And trust me, this has been my favourite game to play for the past 3 years. I will never leave it, as long as I feel it is still the same game.

Sorry for the long rant. It's over now.
    • Like x 1
  15. chubbychase New Player

Black Desert 2015!!! Tera killer & DCUO finisher :D for PC
    Actually, I lie, Tera killer will probably go to Bless.
    Nor the same pizza! (thank you for the link).

Seriously though, the only DCUO killer would be DCUO itself. All it takes is one more non-power-specific revamp (started with replay badges, then pvpve immunities, then replays on pvp though thank god they reversed that, then WM, ???, death). The only good one I can think of is GU41, though that is more or less returning it to its original state and making some tweaks (aka, removal of HT and R&D affinities).
    • Like x 1
  16. TheRealDeathern New Player

Yes I have. For my particular situation, it is part of the reason as we have league mates that are college age. On the other hand, we have a lot of players whom haven't been in school for a while, these players are not playing either, so to say it is one thing, while ignoring the other fact, would be almost as short sighted as ignoring all the other reasons players are not on.
  17. Archangel Rafael New Player

Comic fans definitely care about Kalibak and Mantis.

Origin Crisis? You're talking about the "story" of OC? Wow. Who cares about Kalibak and Mantis? Who cares about giant , generic purple and pink gross-monster #17?
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]

For those who may be unaware. Kalibak and Mantis first appeared in DC comics in 1971 as part of Kirby's NewGods. Each of these characters has made over 100 appearances in comics and several appearances in various animations. These are seriously core DC characters. Kirby's NewGods is near and dear to the hearts of comic creators everywhere for various reasons that go way beyond story popularity.
    • Like x 5
  18. TheRealDeathern New Player

It was theorized in a yahoo article yesterday that a scientist discovered that black holes don't exist. In theory when the star burns through all its energy, it wouldn't have any mass left rather than be a "'black hole"... that's a lot like this game, IMO. It has burned through most of its energy.

Question is, what are they going to do with what little time they have left...
  19. TheRealDeathern New Player

Agreed. No more generic, could be in any game, bosses. Excellent call and observation my friend.
    • Like x 1
  20. Archangel Rafael New Player

Flying. Purple. People. Eater.

'Nuff Said.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3