An Otherworldly Guide to Celestial

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Remander, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Remander Steadfast Player

Updated for GU 53!
    Updated 4/10/16 to include a link to Power Costs at CR 158, courtesy of Sage-Rapha (a.k.a., Supreme Monarch)! You can find the link on post #6, following the power descriptions.

An Otherworldly Guide to Celestial

Let me start by saying that this is not a guide to tell you how to play or to describe how I play. In writing this, I intended to lay out everything I know about Celestial, in order to help you (and me—yes, I learned some things along the way) better understand it and enjoy it. I have had a lot of help along the way, from current and past players, so I’m not about to take credit for everything you are about to read. Thanks to everyone who has interacted with me in game and on the forums to improve my understanding of this unique and entertaining powerset!

Released with the Sons of Trigon DLC, Celestial is based on the use of Holy and Unholy rituals to affect yourself, your allies, and your enemies. There is a Blessed tree with abilities that, when cast, are visually characterized by a golden-white light. Conversely, the Cursed tree abilities are characterized by a purple-black light.

Celestial is one of the powersets with a precision combo Advanced Mechanic (AM). That means when you use certain abilities, you have the option to combo that ability, via one or more button presses, into another ability that generates a different effect. These combos are one-way, so you cannot infinitely chain them, as you can with Hard Light. In the case of damaging abilities, the result of a combo is usually a precision-based damage attack. There are also some combos that generate other damaging effects, healing effects, or even provide buffs. A few of the combos are more complicated and time-intensive. These require practice to master, and even when you are comfortable executing them, there is going to be the risk of interruption. With that risk comes reward, because these combos generally unlock the more devastating attacks or beneficial affects.

What sets Celestial apart from the other combo powersets is that each combo involves an ability mirrored by another ability in the opposite tree. In order to access the combo, you must have both the ability and its mirror unlocked. An ability in the Blessed tree, for instance, can be comboed into a “cleansed” version of an ability in the Cursed tree. Similarly, an ability in the Cursed tree can be comboed into a “corrupted” ability in the Blessed tree. This can make power point (PP) assignment tricky. All but 4 of the 20 abilities are part of the combo system. There are a lot of good combos, and you simply cannot unlock them all!

If there is anything Celestial lacks, it is a damage-related power interaction (PI). The only PI in the powerset is Purification, which causes your target’s attacks to heal for a small amount. It is, however, the only powerset with a 10% critical attack chance buff, a 15% precision buff, and a 45% might buff.

You do receive a 5% critical damage buff, while using the Celestial AM, as long as you do not unlock Weapon Mastery (WM) in any weapon tree. This adds to the 15% buff you get with a melee weapon equipped to make it equal to the 20% buff you get for having any weapon equipped with WM unlocked.

Beginning with GU 53, Celestial AM damage now varies with range to target. From max range to 13 m from the target, you will see your base damage potential. From 13 m to 7 m (midrange), the damage will be increased by roughly 17%. For melee (inside 7 m), the damage is roughly 39% above base. Note that this is primarily for AM damage. Using the abilities and combos without the AM active will not yield range-scaled damage. The only exception to this is the execute ability, Defile. It is not part of the AM, but also receives the range scalar.

Also new with GU 53, you now are able to deal AM damage in healer stance! This is a significant boost to battle healing! Most of our healing combos were already part of the DPS AM! Remember, though, as a healer, your primary responsibility is to heal, not damage!

What follows is a detailed description of each ability, including power cost, cool down, damage modifier, effects, potential combos, base damages, range, etc. The goal is to give you as much information about each ability as possible, so you can make decisions about which ones best fit your play style. Some will come off as obvious choices, but there is no way around that. You’ll see no-brainers in every powerset. I will say, though, that there is enough variability that you can keep it interesting! After the ability descriptions, I will discuss the implementation for both DPS and healing.

Before getting into the nitty gritty, I feel obligated to explain how the data were obtained. When possible, sparring targets were used. Adjustments were made for the defense of the targets for any damage calculations. For effects that could not be tested on sparring targets, low level mobs in the open world were used. Shiny mackerel’s combat log parser (http://www.dcuolog.com) was very helpful. Anyone who hasn’t tried it by now, I urge you to do so, if you’re on PC. It’s not only good for basic number crunching like this, but you can use it to evaluate your build and rotation to try and squeeze extra DPS out.

Before the changes to sparring targets and the addition of relative CR scaling, I tested as follows. My base might was 582 and the base precision was 96, due to 4 Precision 6.2 mods in my generator and the Might/Precision proficiency from the TSI League Hall. For some of the lower base damage values, precision was boosted by 200 with a 20 DPS Bow, in order to capture the damage variance. This was with no gear equipped and no skill points (SP) assigned. After the changes were made, I was able to repeat testing an equal CR of 126 with no crits assigned, and I simply back-calculated the base damage by excluding any crits and working the might and precision formulas in reverse. A little more labor-intensive, but doable. Damage values were recorded from numerous attacks and averaged. Those averages were then adjusted to account for the base might and precision. A base damage scalar was calculated that can be multiplied by your might or precision (include precision from weapon DPS) to determine what your average damage would be for the different attack components. This average damage value does not include buffs or crits and only assumes the natural damage modifier of the particular ability.

Ability and combo durations, as well as cool downs, were timed by repeated stopwatch measurements, which proved to be quite reproducible. Unfortunately, I did not have access to video recording software to identify durations more precisely, during the initial testing for the guide. There were some errors in the clip timings that were identified during additional testing for GU 45. Thanks to shiny mackerel for his help on this.

Once all of the data were obtained, I was able to calculate average DPS of the various combos, including the clipped DPS of the more bursty combos. I could feed in various might and precision values to simulate full precision, full might, and balanced builds. This was actually used to check the formulas for accuracy. When appropriate, the optimal build of a particular combo will be listed. Know that this is predominantly precision-based powerset. That said, not every attack favors full precision.

The base healing for the different abilities, combos, and SCs were calculated with a base resto of 908 on my live server toon. For those not already familiar, every 4 points of resto increases your base healing by 1%. I was able to measure most of the base values healing myself, but some required help. Thanks to HeartOfSky and Enat, two of my healer league mates, for assisting me. Note that all base heal values were obtained in healer stance, where you receive a 65% boost to healing. Values in DPS stance will be significantly smaller.

Because of the unique nature of Celestial, I felt it made more sense to detail the Blessed and Cursed pairs and follow each with a description of their combos, rather than detailing the abilities in each tree as a group. That should reduce redundancy in the thread.

If you have any questions, feel free to post. I will try and address them promptly. Also feel free to add any information you would like to share. I want there to be a lot of interaction. After all, that is the best way for us all to learn!

Detailed descriptions of both healing and DPS aspects of Celestial are in the posts that follow, but first here's a video, courtesy of kAiSeR007, covering the basics of various DPS combos post GU 45:

• Like x 35
  2. Remander Steadfast Player

Celestial Abilities and Combos

If you specialize in the Blessed tree, you get +5% Critical Attack Damage and +2% Critical Healing Chance. Specializing in the Cursed tree grants +1% Critical Attack Chance and +5% Critical Healing Magnitude.

Smite

Blast your target with divinity, dealing damage and knocking it down.

Power Cost: 200
    Dmg Modifier: 35%
    Ability Duration: 0.7 seconds
    Cool Down: 1.65 seconds
    Range: Max
    Type: Single target damage
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst): 0.26
    Utility: Single target might burst damage, which will knock down your target, if your dom is high enough. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80% and becomes a cone AoE.

Haunt

Call on spirits of the dead to haunt your target, dealing damage over time and stunning it.

Ability Duration: 2.85 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 2 Ticks): 0.295
    Utility: Single target might burst plus 2 ticks at ~1/2 strength of the burst, which will stun your target, if your dom is high enough. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80% and becomes AoE.

Smite into Cleansed Haunt (ScH)

Combo Sequence: Smite-->Melee Tap
    Combo Duration: 3.9 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 1.1 seconds
    Type: Single target plus AoE cone damage
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 2 Ticks): 0.255
    Utility: Comboing from Smite into Cleansed Haunt adds a precision AoE cone attack with an initial burst plus 2 ticks at ~1/2 strength of the burst, which will stun your target, if your dom is high enough.
    Optimal Build: Balanced>Full Precision>Full Might
    Tip: Best max range burst attack, but cannot be clipped into itself, due to the cooldown of Smite (1.65 sec). After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%.

Haunt into Corrupted Smite (HcS)

Combo Sequence: Haunt-->Melee Tap
    Combo Duration: 2.85 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 1.1 seconds
    Type: Single target plus AoE cone damage
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst): 0.198
    Utility: Comboing from Haunt into Corrupted Smite adds a precision AoE cone burst attack. Strangely, it applies Panic.
    Optimal Build: Balanced>Full Might>Full Precision
    Tip: Only slightly weaker than ScH in all builds and situations. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%.

Renew

Instantly restore health to you and the most injured group member.

Power Cost: 250
    Ability Duration: 1 second
    Cool Down: 1 second
    Type: Heal
    Avg Base Heal (Burst): 190
    Utility: Standard single target burst heal.

Curse

Curse your enemy, causing it to damage itself when attacking others. When the enemy is knocked out, you are healed over time.

Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 11 Ticks): 0.571
    Avg Base Heal (10 ticks): 300
    Utility: Single target might burst damage, followed by 11 potential damage ticks at one second intervals, as long as the target is attacking. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, the initial burst damage is increased by 80%. You receive a 10-tick HoT, if the target is knocked out within the 16 second window of the Curse.

Renew into Cleansed Curse (RcC)

Combo Sequence: Renew-->Melee Tap, Ranged Tap
    Combo Duration: 14.8 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 1.85 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 11 Ticks): 0.865
    Utility: Comboing from Renew into Cleansed Curse sets up a single target precision-based DoT with an initial burst plus 11 ticks at one second intervals as long as the target is attacking. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, the initial burst damage is increased by 80%. When the target is knocked out, you and up to 3 group members receive the 10-tick HoT.
    Optimal Build: Full Precision>Balanced>Full Might
    Tip: It will not stack with itself, but will stack with other DoTs. This is a nice source of gravy healing, if your target is knocked out within the 16 second window of the Curse. It’s also nice in conjunction with McB, as the potential precision ticks from cCurse will contribute to the damage-based heals.

Curse into Corrupted Renew (CcR)

Combo Sequence: Curse-->Melee Tap, Ranged Tap
    Combo Duration: 11.8 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.15 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg: Potential heal-based precision damage not formally tested
    Utility: Comboing from Curse into Corrupted Renew will provide a burst heal to you and the most injured group member. In addition, your target will take precision damage each time you are healed by an ability over the next 6 seconds.
    Optimal Build: Full Might>Balanced>Full Precision (based on Curse only; damage from cR not tested)
    Tip: This is not a very reliable damage source and the damage potential from cRenew only lasts half the time Curse is up. For healing, RcC or Renew itself are better choices.
    • Like x 13
  3. Remander Steadfast Player

Admonish

Judicially deal enemies divine justice, damaging and knocking them down.

Power Cost: 285
    Ability Duration: 0.85 seconds
    Range: Mid
    Type: AoE cone damage
    Avg Base Heal (Burst): 133
    Utility: AoE cone might burst attack, which will knock down your target, if your Dom is high enough. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%. In healer stance, provides a 4-person burst heal.

Blight

Erupt a dark energy explosion at your feet, dealing damage over time and knocking down nearby enemies. Increases critical healing chance by 5% for a short time.

Power Cost: 275
    Ability Duration: 6.85 seconds
    Type: 360 degree AoE damage
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 6 Ticks): 0.447
    Utility: 360 degree AoE might burst attack plus 6 ticks at ~2/3 strength of the burst, which will knock down your target, if your dom is high enough. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, initial burst damage is increased by 80%. Might and precision versions of Blight overwrite. The 5% critical healing chance buff lasts for 12 seconds.

Admonish into Cleansed Blight (AcB)

Combo Sequence: Admonish-->Melee Tap, Ranged Hold
    Combo Duration: 8.85 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.3 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 6 Ticks): 0.781
    Avg Base Heal (7 ticks): 278
    Utility: Comboing from Admonish into Cleansed Blight sets up a 360 degree AoE precision-based DoT with an initial burst plus 6 ticks ~2/3 strength of the burst. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, initial burst damage is increased by 80%. Increases critical healing chance by 5% for 12 seconds, and delivers an 8-person HoT.
    Tip: Hard hitting melee range attack. It’s also your bread-and-butter burst heal and HoT in healer stance.

Blight into Corrupted Admonish (BcA)

Combo Sequence: Blight-->Melee Tap, Ranged Hold
    Combo Duration: 6.85 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.2 seconds
    Type: AoE cone damage
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst): 0.349
    Utility: Comboing from Blight into Corrupted Admonish adds an AoE cone precision burst. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%. In healer stance, it provides a 4-person burst heal and increases your critical healing magnitude by 5% for 12 seconds.
    Optimal Build: Balanced>Full Might>Full Precision
    Tip: Not a particularly useful combo for DPS, I’m afraid. The damage is significantly inferior to AcB in every scenario. The arrangement in healer stance, with the burst heal at the end and no HoT, may not be as appealing as AcB, but this combo gives you both +5% critical healing chance and magnitude for 12 seconds, whereas AcB just boosts critical healing chance.

Retribution

Punish your target with a beam of holy justice, damaging and stunning it.

Power Cost: 275
    Ability Duration: 0.6 seconds
    Utility: Single target might burst damage, which will stun your target, if your dom is high enough. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80% and becomes a sphere AoE centered on the target. Applies Purification for 10 seconds, which causes target attacks to heal for a small amount.

Wither

Cause your target and other nearby enemies to writhe in agony from a dark energy. Withered opponents take damage over time and are stunned.

Ability Duration: 2.6 seconds
    Type: Mid-range 360 degree AoE damage centered on target
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 2 Ticks): 0.28
    Utility: AoE around the target that can be cast from max range. Initial burst, followed by 2 ticks at ~2/3 strength of the burst, which will stun your target, if your dom is high enough.
    After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%.

Retribution into Cleansed Wither (RcW)

Combo Sequence: Retribution-->Melee Tap, Ranged Tap
    Combo Duration: 4.5 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2 seconds
    Type: Mid range 360 degree AoE damage centered on target
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 2 Ticks): 0.547
    Utility: Comboing from Retribution into Cleansed Wither adds an mid-range 360 AoE burst plus 2 ticks at ~1/2 strength of the burst, which is centered on the target. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%. Will also purify every target in the AoE range.
    Tip: This is one of the go-to combos for DPS.

Wither into Corrupted Retribution (WcR)

Combo Sequence: Wither-->Melee Tap, Ranged Tap
    Combo Duration: 7.6 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.15 seconds
    Type: Single target plus mid range 360 AoE aura damage
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst; 5 Aura Ticks): 0.292; 0.338
    Utility: Comboing from Wither into Corrupted Retribution adds a single target precision burst, which will stun your target, if your dom is high enough, and places an aura on the target that will cause up to 5 ticks of precision damage to surrounding enemies in a mid range 360 AoE. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, initial burst damage is increased by 80%. Purifies the single target.
    Tip: Compared to RcW, this combo is slightly stronger on multiple targets, but that's due to the 5 second damage aura. It's nice to put up in conjunction with RcW. Note that the aura does not damage the target, only the surrounding enemies, so to get maximal benefit from this combo, you really need a mob of 3 or more. You can place auras on multiple targets, but the damage does not stack.
    • Like x 18
  4. Remander Steadfast Player

Benediction

Imbues yours and up to 3 group members' weapon attacks with sacred power, increasing the chance to cause more damage.

Power Cost: 125
    Dmg Modifier: 40%
    Ability Duration: 1.25 seconds
    Cool Down: 12 seconds
    Type: Buff
    Avg Base Dmg: N/A
    Utility: Provides +10% critical weapon and ability attack chance to you and up to 3 group members. The buff lasts for the duration of the cool down, so you can keep it active.

Malediction

Torment your target with a bolt of dark energy, dealing damage over time and stunning it. You receive healing over time equal to a portion of the damage dealt.

Power Cost: 300
    Dmg Modifier: 40%
    Ability Duration: 12.9 seconds
    Cool Down: 13 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (12 Ticks): 0.823
    Avg Base Heal: 1:1 concurrent with damage ticks
    Utility: Single target might DoT, which will stun your target, if your dom is high enough. It will provide you with a HoT of 1:1 with the DoT. Might and precision versions of Malediction overwrite.

Benediction into Cleansed Malediction (BcM)

Combo Sequence: Benediction-->Ranged Tap, Ranged Hold
    Combo Duration: 14.7 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.25 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (12 Ticks): 0.823
    Utility: Comboing from Benediction into Cleansed Malediction adds a single target precision DoT, which will stun your target, if your dom is high enough. You and up to 7 group members will receive a HoT of 1:1 with the DoT.
    Tip: Good to use in boss fights. Not nearly as good for healing as McB, because the HoT is only based on the damage from cM, instead of all your precision damage.

Malediction into Corrupted Benediction (McB)

Combo Sequence: Malediction-->Ranged Tap, Ranged Hold
    Combo Duration: 14.7 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.35 seconds
    Type: Self/Group Heal
    Avg Base Heal: 1:1 concurrent with damage ticks
    Utility: Comboing from Malediction into Corrupted Benediction adds the +10% critical weapon and ability attack chance buff and sets up a very special healing mechanic, whereby the precision damage done by you, either through weapon attacks or combos, is converted into healing for you and up to 7 group members. The heals proc at 2 second intervals and are on a 1:1 basis with your damage, though the magnitude is capped by your resto.
    Tip: This is the key combo for “battle healing.” With high precision and resto, this is sometimes all you need. I listed full precision as optimal, though the actual damage from the combo is might-based via Malediction. The reason is that this combo is mainly for healing, and the heals are tied to your precision.

Blessing

Envelop yourself and the 3 most injured group members in a protective shield that prevents damage.

Power Cost: 270
    Dmg Modifier: 45%
    Ability Duration: 1.3 seconds
    Cool Down: 22 seconds
    Type: Shield
    Utility: Shield for you and up to 3 group members. Shield strength is equal to 125% of your resto.

Death Mark (DM)

Mark your target with death's cold touch, dealing damage over time and stunning it. Marked enemies explode when knocked out, dealing heavy damage to nearby enemies.

Ability Duration: 2.85 seconds
    Cool Down: 6 seconds
    Type: Single target damage plus close range 360 degree AoE damage on target knock out
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 2 Ticks; Explosion on Target KO): 0.283; 0.181
    Utility: Single target might-based burst damage plus 2 ticks at ~1/2 strength of the burst, which will stun your target, if your dom is high enough. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%. If the target is knocked out within 20 seconds of being marked, it will explode in a close range AoE for ~75% of the total single target damage.

Blessing into Cleansed Death Mark (BcDM)

Combo Sequence: Blessing-->Melee Tap, Melee Hold
    Combo Duration: 4.85 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.3 seconds
    Range: Max/Close
    Type: Single target/360 degree AoE damage
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 2 Ticks; Explosion on Target KO): 0.563; 0.344
    Avg Base Heal (Burst): 189
    Utility: Comboing from Blessing into Cleansed Death Mark adds a single target precision burst plus 2 ticks at ~1/2 strength of the burst. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%. If the target is knocked out within 20 seconds of being marked, it will explode in a close range AoE for ~75% of the total single target damage. In addition, you and up to 3 group members receive a burst heal.
    Tip: The damage from cDM is better than DM, but DMcB adds the damage from the shield explosion, making it really the better DPS option. Not a bad battle healer option, as Blessing is a great healer shield, and the burst heal on target knock out is a nice perk.

Death Mark into Corrupted Blessing (DMcB)

Combo Sequence: Death Mark-->Melee Tap, Melee Hold
    Combo Duration: 2.85 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (Shield Explosion): 0.375
    Utility: Comboing from Death Mark into Corrupted Blessing envelops you and the most injured group member in a shield that will explode when destroyed, damaging nearby enemies.
    Tip: Great lead for melee. You can pop this, lunge in and get into your next combo at about the time the shield explodes. If the timing is right, you can also get the explosion from DM. Just try and mark the lowest health target.
    • Like x 13
  5. Remander Steadfast Player

Wrath of the Presence (WotP)

Bombard nearby enemies with an explosion of divine energy, dealing damage and knocking them down.

Cool Down: 1 second
    Type: 360 degree AoE
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst): 0.28
    Utility: 360 degree AoE might burst damage, which will knock down your target, if your dom is high enough. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%.

Consume Soul (CS)

Feed on the soul of your target, dealing damage over time, stunning, and pulling it toward you.

Ability Duration: 2.8 seconds
    Type: Single target
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 2 Ticks): 0.31
    Avg Base Heal (Burst + 6 Ticks): 226
    Utility: Single target might burst damage plus 2 ticks at ~1/2 strength of the burst, which will stun and pull your target, if your dom is high enough. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80% and becomes AoE. In healer stance, a modest ally burst heal, followed by a HoT of 6 ticks of ~75% of the burst.

Wrath of the Presence into Cleansed Consume Soul (WotPcCS)

Combo Sequence: Wrath of the Presence-->Melee Tap, Melee Hold
    Combo Duration: 3.1 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.35 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst): 0.468
    Utility: Comboing from Wrath of the Presence to Cleansed Consume Soul adds a 360 degree max range pull, if your dom is high enough, and a precision burst.
    Tip: Good for melee set up. This is almost like a tank move. WotP will knock down nearby enemies, then cCS will pull more in and hit all of them with a precision burst and knock down. The damage isn't tremendous, but following it up with AcB or CScWotP is nice. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%. In healer stance, this triggers the ally burst plus HoT from CS.

Consume Soul into Corrupted Wrath of the Presence (CScWotP)

Combo Sequence: Consume Soul-->Melee Tap, Melee Hold
    Combo Duration: 8.75 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 2.2 seconds
    Type: 360 degree AoE
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 6 Ticks): 0.839
    Utility: Comboing from Consume Soul into Corrupted Wrath of the Presence adds a close range 360 degree AoE precision burst plus 6 ticks at ~1/3 the strength of the burst, as well as a knock down, if your dom is high enough.
    Tip: Great for melee. More potent damage than WotPcCS. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 80%. You can rely on the tank to group the enemies for you, or you can lead into this with the pull of WotPcCS.

Divine Light (DL)

Create glyphs of virtuous light that deal damage to enemies or heal allies depending on your role.

Dmg Modifier: 50%
    Ability Duration: 5.5 seconds
    Range: Max/Melee
    Type: Single target/360 degree AoE
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 5 Ticks): 0.37 (per glyph)
    Avg Base Heal (Burst + 5 Ticks): 245
    Utility: Will generate a glyph on a target from max range that cause might burst damage plus 5 ticks of melee range 360 degree AoE might damage at ~1/6 strength of the burst. During use of multi-input combos, glyph damage is increased by 58.5%. Glyphs from DL and cDL overwrite in DPS stance. In healer stance, also provides a burst heal plus HoT for allies, and glyphs act like supply drops, providing a 5-tick HoT to allies that pass through them. They apply Purification for 10 seconds, which causes target attacks to heal for a small amount. Glyphs from DL and cDL do stack in healer stance.

Plague

Infect your target with disease, dealing damage over time. When a diseased enemy is knocked out, the disease spreads to nearby enemies.

Ability Duration: 11.8 seconds
    Cool Down: 6 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 11 Ticks): 0.415
    Utility: Single target might burst damage plus 11 ticks at ~1/6 strength of the burst. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, initial burst damage is increased by 80%. When the target is knocked out, the Plague effects will spread to nearby targets.

Divine Light into Cleansed Plague (DLcP)

Combo Sequence: Divine Light-->Melee Tap, Ranged Tap, Melee Hold
    Combo Duration: 14.6 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 3.15 seconds
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 11 Ticks): 1.3
    Utility: Comboing from Divine Light into Cleansed Plague adds a single target precision burst plus 11 ticks at ~1/6 strength of the burst. After a multi-input combo, in DPS stance, initial burst damage is increased by 80%. On target knock out, a damaging glyph is left behind (not formally tested).
    Optimal Build: Full Precision>Balanced>Full Might (for single targets); Balanced>Full Precision>Full Might (for 2+ targets)
    Tip: Of the two combo versions, this is the better for single targets, as the full precision attack is single target. Unfortunately, the long cooldown makes this less attractive than PcDL. Not a bad option for a battle healer setup either, as the precision DoT of cP will result in significant healing, if McB is active.

Plague into Corrupted Divine Light (PcDL)

Combo Sequence: Plague-->Melee Tap, Ranged Tap, Melee Hold
    Combo Duration: 11.8 seconds
    Clipped Combo Duration: 3.15 seconds
    Range: Max/Close
    Type: Single target/360 degree AoE
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + 5 Ticks): 0.911 (per glyph)
    Utility: Comboing from Plague into Corrupted Divine Light adds a glyph on the target from max range that causes precision burst damage plus 5 ticks of melee range 360 degree AoE precision damage. During use of multi-input combos, glyph damage is increased by 58.5%. Glyphs from cDL and DL overwrite in DPS stance. In healer stance, the glyphs also heal, just like regular DL glyphs. Glyphs apply Purification for 10 seconds, which causes target attacks to heal for a small amount. Enemies touching the glyphs spread Purification to nearby enemies.
    Tip: Was changed with GU 53. Used to spawn up to 4 glyphs and could hit numerous targets that way. The damage range on the glyphs was only 2.5 m, though, while it's now 7 m. It remains the most potent attack in the Celestial arsenal.
    • Like x 13
  6. Remander Steadfast Player

Guardian’s Light (GL)

Become bathed in a sanctified light, pushing enemies away from you and healing you and up to 7 group members.

Power Cost: 340
    Ability Duration: 2.8 seconds
    Cool Down: 4.8 seconds
    Type: Channeled heal
    Avg Base Heal (8 Ticks + Burst): 356
    Utility: Standard channeled group heal. Provides 8 rapid ticks, followed by a strong burst. This is the strongest, non-SC healing ability, but the burst is delayed and vulnerable to interrupt. It does push back enemies, which helps.

Defile

Conjure a devastating beam of dark energy to eviscerate your target, damaging and knocking it down. Enemies at 35% health or below will take additional damage.

Power Cost: 350
    Ability Duration: 1.8 seconds
    Cool Down: 2.6 seconds
    Type: Single target finisher
    Avg Base Dmg (Burst + Finisher): 1.3
    Utility: Single target might burst damage with a second, larger burst, if the target is below 35% health. Was made significantly stronger with GU 53 and damage now scales with range to target. Can be especially devastating, when used with WM and Dark Pact.

Anoint

Through the power of divine words, increase precision and restoration for yourself and up to 3 group members.

Utility: Provides a +15% precision and +270 resto buff to you and up to 3 group members. The buff lasts for the duration of the cool down, so it can be kept active.

Dark Pact (DP)

Make a pact with wicked forces, increasing your super power damage by 45% for a short time.

Range: N/A
    Utility: Provides a 45% might buff to you. The buff lasts for the duration of the cool down, so it can be kept active.

Sacrifice

Sacrifice your own protection to help nearby allies with healing over time, power over time, and protective shields while taunting enemies to attack you. If you are knocked out while taunting, your sacrifice will heal nearby allies over time.

Supercharge Cost: 50%
    Type: Heal/Shield
    Avg Base Heal (Burst + 11 Ticks): 769
    Power return (5 Ticks): 515
    Utility: Best heals in the powerset, as well as shields and power over time, for all allies...but not you. You'll want to let your team know you're going to pop this, because you may draw enough aggro through the 6-second taunt period to get knocked out. If you are knocked out, the HoT will persist, but the tick strength is reduced to ~70%. You are better off staying up. Try clipping it with Blessing.

Consecrated Ground (CG)

Create a glyph that prevents most incoming damage to you and your allies while standing within the area of effect.

Supercharge Cost: 50%
    Type: Shield
    Utility: The glyph can be cast on any enemy target from max range. Any ally in the glyph's light will have an additional 75% damage mitigation for the duration of the glyph (12 seconds). This is great to place on a boss, if the tank is taking hard hits. It can also be used to allow the team to safely melee a potentially lethal target.

Cursed Idol (CI)

Create a cursed totem that damages all nearby enemies and heals you and nearby allies over time. Enemies that are knocked out while in the idol's influence explode and deal damage to other nearby enemies.

Supercharge Cost: 25%
    Type: 360 degree AoE Heal/Damage
    Avg Base Dmg (29 Ticks): 0.698
    Avg Base Heal (29 Ticks): 594
    Utility: Cheap supercharge with great gravy damage and heals. This is worthwhile for either DPS or healer, particularly if battle healing. This totem will damage and heal 360 degrees out to max range for 30 seconds (29 ticks). During use of multi-input combos, in DPS stance, damage is increased by 143.25%. Over the course of a raid, this will generate more damage than Robot Sidekick, if used regularly. It's a great additional HoT, when healing.

Life Drain (LD)

Supercharge Cost: 35%
    Type: 360 degree AoE Heal/Damage
    Avg Base Dmg (6 Ticks): 0.66
    Avg Base Heal (8 Ticks): 546
    Utility: Generates 6 ticks of might damage, as well as stun, to any enemy in range, which sadly is only mid range. It actually does about the same amount of damage as CI, but in a shorter time and over a smaller range—more of a burst damage SC. Also provides an 8-tick HoT to the group.

Purification

Effect Duration: 10 seconds
    Type: Damage-based heal
    Avg Base Heal (Per Attack): 9.7
    Utility: When an enemy is purified, each attack they perform will also heal for a small amount. The healing is based off your resto, rather than the damage of their attack. The healing is not huge, but if you purify multiple targets, it adds up. If there are multiple Celestial players in a group, Purification heals will be set by the Celestial player with the highest resto.

Example of Power Cost scaling, courtesy of Sage-Rapha (a.k.a., Supreme Monarch)! These are for CR 158, but there may be more to come. I will update, as needed!
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ide-to-celestial.220702/page-242#post-3650798
    • Like x 19
  7. Remander Steadfast Player

Celestial DPS

When doing the testing for this guide, it became apparent to me that traditional Celestial DPS rotation, involving PcDL and RcW spam is really not optimal for every situation. There are certain combos that lend themselves to single target and others to large groups. There are also certain combos that are best for melee and others for ranged. In my opinion, the best way to play Celestial DPS is actually to tailor your loadout to the content and to utilize Armories. If that's too much of a hassle, there are some loadouts that will allow you to be effective in all situations, though they will likely favor some over others. I'll get into more detail in a bit.

Another consideration is whether you want to include Weapon Mastery (WM). WM involves strong precision combos with a crit window on the tail end to boost might burst attacks. While everyone can benefit from the precision combos, especially a precision-based powerset like Celestial, the might burst of Celestial is relatively weak. Most of Celestial damage is back-loaded into it's precision combos. To run an effective WM approach, you really need to use all three buffs: Benediction, Anoint, and Dark Pact. With GU 45, Dark Pact received a 50% power reduction, as well as an increase in effective duration to match it's cooldown. This makes it much more attractive for WM builds. There are also DoTs that can be set up to run in the background. PcDL is a great one. Cursed Idol is another. Some like to run with the iconic Robot Sidekick, and I've done that. I really don't like going outside the powerset, if I can help it, though. As with most WM loadouts, you'll find you mainly buff, throw out a DoT or two, try and keep a high damage modifier up, and spam WM combos.

WM options:
    1. Buffs: Benediction, Anoint, Dark Pact
    2. Long-range single target might bursts: Retribution, Smite, Defile
    3. Mid-range AoE might bursts: Admonish, Wrath of the Presence
    4. Single target precision DoTs: DLcP, BcM, RcC
    5. Multi target precision DoTs: PcDL
    6. Supercharge: CI, LD
    7. Outside powerset: Robot Sidekick, Vacuum Bubble, Speed Drain
    What if you don't want to mess with WM? After all, before WM, Celestial was known as a “weaponless” powerset. You could rely on your combos without even using a weapon attack and still end up being the most efficient DPS in the group. The appearance of WM changed that for a bit. In GU 40, however, the Enduring Damage gear mod from the Home Turf DLC was upgraded to Max Damage. Max Damage makes every ability you cast into a 60% damage modifier, including those that lead into Celestial combos. Before this mod, most of your burst combos were locked into a 35% modifier. Not the case anymore. What this does is increase your precision damage from those 35% modifier combos by 18.5%, which is significant. Here are some test results:

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...al-wm-dps-loadout.215092/page-14#post-2806440

As new advanced mechanics (AMs) were introduced, many included a power return mechanic. This turned Celestial from one of the most efficient powersets to one of the least efficient. In GU 45, the Celestial AM received an update that included a significant damage improvement, as well as a power return mechanic, while in DPS stance. Following a multi-input combo (2 or more button presses after the initial might cast), a damage buff (see individual ability and combo descriptions) and an 80-90% power return (see below) is enabled. A few single target abilities become AoE, as well. Then, GU 53 introduced the range scalar for the AM damage.

As far as loadouts, there are options, depending on how and what your're running.

Melee options:
    2. Precision burst: WotPcCS, BcA, DMcB
    3. Precision DoTs: AcB, CScWotP
    4. Supercharge: CI, LD
    Ranged options:
    2. Precision burst: RcW, ScH
    3. Single target precision DoTs: DLcP, RcC, BcM
    4. Multi target precision DoTs: PcDL, WcR
    5. Supercharge: CI, LD
    The key is putting together a tight rotation that flows well. Just look at the timings and see what works for you. Feel free to post your own rotations!

Note that when in DPS stance, the following ability casts will trigger increased power regeneration, if performed after a multi-input combo:

Admonish, Benediction, Blessing, Divine Light, Renew, Retribution, Smite, Wrath of the Presence, Blight, Consume Soul, Curse, Death Mark, Haunt, Malediction, Plague, Wither

Celestial Healing

Celestial was the original “battle healer.” It was actually designed to heal through damage. While there are many ways this is accomplished, the trademark is the McB combo. This sets up a unique mechanic that allows you to heal yourself and others through the precision damage you deal. Pretty cool, eh? Well, there’s actually much more to Celestial healing than that. You can heal in a more traditional way via HoTs and burst heals, you can go full battle healer, or you can play as more of a hybrid. You can heal safely from range or you can mix it up with the DPS closer in. You definitely have options.

Let’s look at the healing abilities and combos by type:

Bursts:
    1. Single target: Renew, CcR
    2. 4-person: Admonish, BcA, DL & PcDL glyphs
    3. 8-person: GL (burst is at the end of the channel)
    HoTs:
    1. Self: Curse (on target KO)
    2. Single target: DL & PcDL glyphs
    3. 4-person: BcDM (on target explosion), RcC (on target KO)
    4. 8-person: CS, WotPcCS, AcB, BcM, McB, {CI, LD, Sacrifice}
    *Bolded are ally heals. The bursts of DL and cDL can also go to allies, but only after group members are covered.

Damage-based Heals:
    1. Self: Malediction
    2. Single target: Purification (Retribution, WcR, DL, PcDL)
    3. 8-person: McB, BcM
    Shields:
    1. 2-person: DMcB
    2. 4-person: Blessing
    3. 7-person: Sacrifice (excludes you)
    4. Group: CG (applies to everyone within the glyph)
    Buffs:
    1. +5% crit heal chance: AcB, Blight
    2. +5% crit heal magnitude: BcA
    3. +270 resto: Anoint
    What you want to do is select based on your preference and for the content you tend to run. You really can't go wrong. If you prefer to play it safe and limit potential combo interruption, you can go with Renew, AcB, CS, Blessing, DL, and a SC. This is Black Stem's “strictly healer” approach. If you want to go full battle healer, you can run with something like AcB, McB, RcW, Anoint, DLcP, CI. You could sub WM combos for RcW and add in Blessing. I'd advise you try out various combinations. There are even new options I'm toying with after researching for this guide. ;)

A note about battle healing. To optimize this approach, you really need a higher number of SP. You'll want to spec both damage and healing crits, at the very least.

Recommended Minimum SP: 111

This gets you all of the damage and healing crits (10 SP per tree), in addition to your fast movement mode. Depending on the weapon you use, assuming you use one, you may need more. I also like to spec the CC resistance innates from the movement tree.

Optimal Resto : Precision Ratio: 4:1

This is what I've found to be best for battle healing at tier level. I use a mix of healer and DPS gear, which I can switch as needed. I have run with as low as a 5:4 ratio, which is basically DPS gear. I recommend using the Penetrating Strikes and Max Damage tactical mods.

Post on Celestial healing efficiencies: https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...uide-to-celestial.220702/page-51#post-3002998
    • Like x 14
  8. Fighter Well-Known Player

Thanks for the all your time and hard work. I can't wait to try some different loadouts!

I have a question about the single target rotation you mentioned. In order to get all the powers in it you won't be able to get the 2 iconic damage crits. Have you found that it still give you good crits and damage without them?
    • Like x 1
  9. Remander Steadfast Player

Updated 3/29/2015
    Sample Loadouts

By popular demand, I'm posting some sample loadouts for both DPS and healing. If you have loadouts you'd like included, let me know!

Damage
    Triple Buff: Retribution, Smite, Divine Light/Consume Soul/Cursed Idol, Anoint, Dark Pact, Benediction
    Utilizes all three powerset buffs to increase damage output. It's more burst-based, relying on the alternation of RcW and ScH. RcW spam can be substituted, though alternating does provide a bit more damage potential, if you clip properly (not too quickly, but not too slowly). CScWotP or CI can be used for added damage. CScWotP is a nice, mid-ranged burst plus DoT. CI is a long-running, max-range DoT that receives a 143.25% damage buff, while multi-input combos are being performed. DL is a DoT that receives a 58.5% damage buff with the AM.

The Old Standby: Plague, Retribution, Smite, Anoint, Benediction, Cursed Idol
    Relies on PcDL for the bulk of the damage. You can get two PcDL casts per rotation, with good clipping. Example: RcW/Anoint/Benediction>PcDL/ScH/RcW/PcDL
    Some like to drop Smite for something like Malediction, as an extra single-target DoT, or Robot Sidekick.

Triple Buff Melee AoE: Admonish, Consume Soul, Wrath of the Presence, Anoint, Dark Pact, Benediction
    Relies on closer range AoE burst and DoTs. Best for large mobs and when you have a good tank.
    Example: Anoint/DP/Benediction>AcB/CScWotP/WotPcCS/AcB/CScWotP/WotP repeated

Healing
    Pure healing: Renew, Admonish, Consume Soul, Blessing, Divine Light, Sacrifice
    This build allows you to combo Renew into Cleansed Curse for bonus HoT. AcB and CS are your main HoTs. DL is the big heal and Sacrifice is your safety net. Could replace that with Consecrated Ground, if desired. There is a PP to spec Death Mark, if you want to combo to it from Blessing for extra burst healing.

Burst Healing: Renew, Admonish(no combo), Guardian's Light, Anoint, BlightcAdmonish, Divine Light
    All burst. Only combo is BcA, which gives you both healing crits.

Battle healing: Admonish, Consume Soul, Malediction, Anoint, Blessing, Cursed Idol
    My current favorite battle loadout. I like to set AcB/CS for HoTs as a safety net leading into McB/Anoint. This is the one time I like to use WM combos. I just repeat them until Malediction is getting close to coming off cooldown, then I repeat the rotation. Most times, the McB heals are sufficient to keep everyone up, but I can easily go back to Admonish for burst, set up both HoTs again, or drop Blessing, if I need a little extra.

Melee Battle Healing: AcB, WoTPcCS, CScWoTP, McB, DLcP, CG

Hybrid Pure/Battle: AcB, McB, DL, CS, Bless, CG

MultiHoT: Admonish, Malediction, Consume Soul, Wrath of the Presence, Blessing, Sacrifice
    This is a fun one that relies on constant cycling of HoTs: AcB/McB/CScWotP/WotPcCS. You can either put a couple WM combos at the end (Hand Clap to Shuriken Storm x 2 works perfectly) to make it seamless or you can allow McB to float through the rotation due to it's long cooldown (credit to HeartOfSky for that approach).

Another Hybrid: Admonish, Consume Soul, Retribution, Malediction, Divine Light, Sacrifice
    This creative loadout combines the best aspects of pure healing and battle healing.

PvP Damage
    AcB, WcR, DMcB, BcDM, ScH, CcR
    AcB, Curse, Retribution, Benediction, DMcB, BcDM

PvP Healing
    CScWotP, McB, DMcB, AcB, CcR, BcDM
    • Like x 7
  10. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Hope the info I sent was of some help. The ps dont parse well so I did my best to give you the raw numbers
    • Like x 1
  11. MentosTroll Loyal Player

You've awesomely broken down how battle healing works. I am not a full-fledged healer myself, but I now see how it works and it sounds awesome.
    • Like x 2
  12. Proto1118 Committed Player

Nice work. So tempted to switch to Celestial but I'm in a good place with Sorcery right now plus I'll have to re-mod for full Precision.
  13. Tilz Loyal Player

looks very nice.
    Great work Remander!
    I think i'll test around the next days/weeks.

If you want to test a few healingpowers (maybe unusal powers) just say it and i can run some raids with them solohealing and testing some powers in combat.
    Also i can give you some information to my current battlehealing (not that much atm, but good).
    • Like x 1
  14. Tilz Loyal Player

For Healing i will test:
    GL in higher content (T5/T6)
    Sacrifice in higher Content (T6)
    and maybe i'll have a look at DMcB in healerrole
    • Like x 1
  15. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

Thankyou for putting your time and effort into this Remander! ;)
    • Like x 1
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

I'll take a look, thanks. Going to work on the healing section this week.
    • Like x 2
  17. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Please keep in mind the numbers do not include crits.
    I purposely did that to show you base damage to battle healing ratios with and without MD.
    • Like x 1
  18. Remander Steadfast Player

Sorry, internet is down at work, so having to forum by phone. With the single target loadout, I only put 5 abilities on my bar and spec the 10% crit mag. With SP and gear, crit chance is already high. I want that mag increase. Loadout is DL, Renew, Retribution, Benediction, Anoint. That gives you three DoTs, two buffs and a single target burst. It's basically Starbrand's approach, but with RcW in lieu of WM combos. If you want, you can drop RcW and put the extra PP into something else, like CI, and go with WM combos. I'm just really sick of WM at this point.
    • Like x 1
  19. Remander Steadfast Player

Healing is really flexible, IMO. Moreso than DPS. So many abilities have healing properties. I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm going to be trying some nontraditional approaches, as well. Supreme Monarch has been looking at different angles, too.
  20. Remander Steadfast Player

Just noticed some of the formatting is off. I'll fix that when I add some color and icons to spruce it up.
    • Like x 2